RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Fueling Backsplash

i have an 07 National Tropi-Cal diesel pusher. When I fuel the thing I have to go super slow or i get massive back flow. Ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Gunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #2

Not familiar with your coach but do you have fill necks on each side?
Try opening both sides during fueling
We had an issue as the tank topped off with backsplash by opening both fuel fill necks we alleviated the issue, especially using the large truck fill handles

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

Are you getting back flow continuously when you fill or just when tank is full? If continuously check your hose from entry to fuel tank to see if it has sagged. If you have dual fill loosen the opposing cap but I wouldn't remove it.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Is this only when you are using the big semi pump. If so I can only use those about 1/3 to 1/2 open even with 2nd cap loose. Have to throttle down when tank get 3/4 and or let foam settle.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a 06 Freightliner chassis, first of all, DO NOT open the other filler! Been there, done that, threw out the clothes.

Freightliner had a quiet recall of the fuel tanks of 2006 chassis. I have a 2007 Winnebago Tour on an 06 Freightliner chassis. Had the same problem with projectile backflow, can't fill the tank, etc.

Call Freightliner with the last 6 digits of your VIN and see if they're still honoring the tank replacement. I had mine done back in 2009 or so.

They put in a new tank with a new vent and filler position. Eliminated the blowback and allowed you to fill more (even though you still can't get 100 gallons into the tank).

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Most National diesels had only 1 fuel fill. Ours when new had a dip in the hose to the tank which caused the same problem. I shortened the hose so it was a mostly a straight down hill to the tank which helped but still had to reduce truck pump to about half. Also check the vent hose for the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
If you have a 06 Freightliner chassis, first of all, DO NOT open the other filler! Been there, done that, threw out the clothes.

Freightliner had a quiet recall of the fuel tanks of 2006 chassis. I have a 2007 Winnebago Tour on an 06 Freightliner chassis. Had the same problem with projectile backflow, can't fill the tank, etc.

Call Freightliner with the last 6 digits of your VIN and see if they're still honoring the tank replacement. I had mine done back in 2009 or so.

They put in a new tank with a new vent and filler position. Eliminated the blowback and allowed you to fill more (even though you still can't get 100 gallons into the tank).

Good luck!
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have the same problem on my 2014 Fleetwood/Freightliner. I’ve tried opening the other side, tried filling from the other side, tried using the first notch on the pump and even tried putting my ear closer so I can hear when it starts getting full. Nothing seems to work and it’s extremely frustrating! I’ve asked both Fleetwood and Freightliner about this and they basically blame it on the other. I pretty much know when it’s witching 10 gallons of being full so I I stop the flow and then set it to the 1st notch and stand back and let it run until it splashes out and shuts off. That’s my “Full” indication. I wipe the fuel off the coach and proceed on. I wish there was a fix.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
jrs

Mine will back splash unless I stay at the middle "click" of the nozzle till a guess of when there's about 20 gals or so remaining then I go to the slowest bottom "click". The bulk of nozzles I've used at truck centers have 3 nozzle settings and due to experience, I've learned to never use the high setting. Makes sense but I'm too afraid to loosen the cap on the other side of the rig.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

Trace both fill and vent hoses from side to tank and make sure there are no "drip loops"/sags. If smoothly down hill from side to tank, this is minimized.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #10

I've removed the cap on the other side of my beaver and was rewarded with about a gallon on the ground and side of the coach.

I have just come to the realization that it is going to take 10 minutes to put the last five gallons in. You can see the foam rise up into the fill neck even on the slowest setting.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most of us, myself included get some degree of back splash when fueling in a truck Stop due to their high volume pumps. When I fuel at a regular service station I don't get any splash back.

Semi's don't have the rubber hose on their tanks so generally they don't have the issues we do. Try filling where cars and pickups fill and you should have less of a problem.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #12

Have also taken a few diesel baths!
My tanks will take it full speed until last 20 gallons. I slow it down to lowest speed, and stop / start a couple of times. Diesel fuel foams up a little
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #13

I reset my "trip" mileage every time I top off. With that I have a fair idea how many gallons I will be taking on and "stop" when I have about 10 gallons to go. After about a 30 second wait time to let the foam settle, I continue filling at half throttle, or less.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel