Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I would like to digress back to the statement by wa8yxm about fuel tax difference between 18 wheelers and MHs. How can that be possible that one can suddenly get screwed on fuel tax? If the cash and or credit price for diesel is posted that is what you are going to pay and that includes the tax. The only thing that can happen from that point is discounts for an RV card...they cannot increase the price on you. You are going to have to explain to me how that can happen.
Mike,

At least 3 states I know of have different pump prices for Semi's and RV's.

AZ has a 8 cent tax for semi's and 3 axle vehicles over 26,000 lbs, That tax is included in the truck pump price and not in the RV lanes. In the past the counter would by pass that tax for RV's if asked.

OR has a 24 cent road tax for semi's and that is collected at the pump if you do not enter an ICC number. If you have a ICC number to enter into the pump it is not included in the price, it is then collected quarterly I believe.

IN also has an semi road tax and that is collected at the pump, not sure if that applies to RV's at RV pumps.

There are different prices for the same fuel before you get to cash discounts or loyality discounts.

Al Sawyer
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #30

My son lives just outside of Tucson and I drive there all the time and have never had any tax added on at the truck pumps there or anywhere else. I always state that I am a private RV. I only fill up at the truck pumps at the truck stops because it is too dangerous driving in and out of the RV lanes with all those 4 wheelers that drive 60 mph in the around the pumps.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #31

Indiana's nuts on tax. I haven't figured it out. Anyone know about it. I see stations that say no trucks or trucks only.Sometims 30 cents difference. Also on flying J the truck lanes were always 6 cents higher than the rv lanes. They use to give it back if you paid cash. I haven't been in another one since they changed last August.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Perry White,
You are correct, Indiana is crazy on how they tax fuels. I try really hard not to stop for fuel in Indiana. As best I can tell, each company pays their fuel tax individually. The fuel station does not pay the tax for commercial vehicles. The diesel price advertised is the price for commercial vehicles. If you have a DOT number it will be recorded at the time of purchase and submitted to the Indiana Dept of Transportation. No DOT number and you will be required to go to the cashier before the pump will be started. They will apply the tax to the price you pay at the pump.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #33

I stopped at a Flying J right south of Indianapolis and after waiting in line 45 minutes, I left. Went South and after about 50 miles pulled into some small gas station and paid 30 cents less a gallon than what FJ was. I didn't get it but I did have to start the pump 3 times. No mention of tax.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
My son lives just outside of Tucson and I drive there all the time and have never had any tax added on at the truck pumps there or anywhere else. I always state that I am a private RV. I only fill up at the truck pumps at the truck stops because it is too dangerous driving in and out of the RV lanes with all those 4 wheelers that drive 60 mph in the around the pumps.
Mike, The 8 cents tax is not added for anyone, it is subtracted for RV's. If you get to Eloy and the FJ you may note that the prices posted on the board are different for RV's and Semi's. It pays to know what is included in the posted price, at least for several states.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #35

First trip out this year with the RV. Got my new FJ/Petro card activated at the FMCA Rally in Perry, Ga. Used it for the first time at a FJ in Dade City, FL.

Stopped at the RV lane. Waited for a guy at the pump first filling his water tank, and then his fuel tank (gas), which was running slow. The guy in front of me was blocking both lanes to get into the second pump station. Waited 30 minutes just to get to the pump.

The gas pumps were nuts. While I was waiting, I saw some guy in a BMW pull sideways next to the RV lane, and another dude backed right into him, and then pulled away and didn't stop until the BMW guy followed him around the station and beeped his horn; he finally stopped. Not sure of the outcome of that one.

Next time I will use the truck lanes.

The reason I used the RV lane was all the posts here regarding getting cash price on your cc and the discount (3 cents for diesel).

My experience in the past was using the truck lanes at a J required you to go into the cashier to activate the pump, and then go in a second time to pay.

I will be traveling north in a week, stopping at J in Brunswick, GA, and will use the truck lane for sure. I will let you know if I can activate the pump with my new J card or not.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #36

Here are some great Pilot and Flying J changes. In the truck lanes if you go inside to pay first and show your RV Card you will get cash price even when using a credit card. The credit card limit per sale is now up to $475. If you register at the cash register for what is called "Pump Start" then you will get RV discount and cash price on fuel at the truck pumps and you can start the pumps in the truck lanes with your RV card and Credit card without going inside.
Read here
www.pilotflyingj.com/rv-home
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for that update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Fueling in the truck lane?

We just got off a 69 day trip from CA to AZ, NM, TX, OK and one kind lady at a Love's in Kingman, AZ asked me if I was aware of the difference in fuel costs between the truck lanes and the front of the station. Apparently, in AZ, the diesel in the front(commonly referred to as "car diesel") is 8 cents cheaper than the truck fuel pumps. I thanked her kindly and immediately pulled around to the front to fill up. It isn't always easy to do the front pumps, especially when towing, but for an 8 cent difference, I'll jockey any way I can. I did not find this to be the case in the other states we visited. Does anywone know of other states that do this?

doorguy
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #39

If I cant pay at the pump I don't fuel therefore I never use the truck lanes.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
We just got off a 69 day trip from CA to AZ, NM, TX, OK and one kind lady at a Love's in Kingman, AZ asked me if I was aware of the difference in fuel costs between the truck lanes and the front of the station. Apparently, in AZ, the diesel in the front(commonly referred to as "car diesel") is 8 cents cheaper than the truck fuel pumps. I thanked her kindly and immediately pulled around to the front to fill up. It isn't always easy to do the front pumps, especially when towing, but for an 8 cent difference, I'll jockey any way I can. I did not find this to be the case in the other states we visited. Does anywone know of other states that do this?

doorguy
doorguy,

Thats what I was trying to get across to Mike. The 8 cent tax is not applied to RV's and it used to be applied at the old FJ's with the use of the loyalty card, then Pilot came into the picture and everything became muddled. I think they are finally getting it sorted out.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
First trip out this year with the RV. Got my new FJ/Petro card activated at the FMCA Rally in Perry, Ga. Used it for the first time at a FJ in Dade City, FL.

Stopped at the RV lane. Waited for a guy at the pump first filling his water tank, and then his fuel tank (gas), which was running slow. The guy in front of me was blocking both lanes to get into the second pump station. Waited 30 minutes just to get to the pump.

The gas pumps were nuts. While I was waiting, I saw some guy in a BMW pull sideways next to the RV lane, and another dude backed right into him, and then pulled away and didn't stop until the BMW guy followed him around the station and beeped his horn; he finally stopped. Not sure of the outcome of that one.

Next time I will use the truck lanes.

The reason I used the RV lane was all the posts here regarding getting cash price on your cc and the discount (3 cents for diesel).

My experience in the past was using the truck lanes at a J required you to go into the cashier to activate the pump, and then go in a second time to pay.

I will be traveling north in a week, stopping at J in Brunswick, GA, and will use the truck lane for sure. I will let you know if I can activate the pump with my new J card or not.
Just filled at the Flying J in Brunswick, Ga today. $3.869 with my new Pilot Card I got at the FMCA rally in Perry.

Pulled into the truck lanes and was able to activate the pump with my new Pilot card. It immediately gave me the 3 cent discount/gal, but I still had to go inside to pay. Pulled forward and went inside.

Cashier lady inside told me that the card I had doesn't work in the truck lanes. Surprise! It DID activate the pumps and DID give me the 3 cent discount. All I had to do was give her my credit card to pay.

I wish J would let you pay at the pump in the truck lanes.

Nice thing about the truck lanes was I avoided the backup at the RV lanes, the congestion in the gas/RV area, and the large fill spout had me filled in no time flat.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Filled up twice yesterday. Lady at a service facility on the indiana toll road wanted my drivers license, credit card, and DOT card before she would turn on the truck pumps for me. No idea what they charged me, they ain't got any competition unless you exit the tolway and pay the troll... Still pumped $300 of diesel in about 4 minutes.

Second time was at a pilot east of bufalo. Had to use the RV lane because I needed propane. This place was great! 2 rv lanes, both nice and wide, and both with slave pumps so I could fill from both sides (they were normal sized, not the big truck nozzles) doiwnside? I paid $4.23 a gallon!!!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote