Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
RV Discount? Can someone explain why there is an RV discount? Is it State specific or Fuel station specific? I've filled up a few times in Az and never asked for that as I had never heard of that...

-Bill
There's a catch to getting the discount and not all stations will do it. In AZ, any vehicle over 26,000# pays .26 in fuel tax, while those below 26,000# pay .18 per gallon. This applies only to diesel. If you are over 26,000# and fill up with diesel in front at the auto pumps, you will pay .18 in fuel tax but,,,,,,, you could get a citation from a LEO for fueling at the wrong pump for your weight. If you go to the rear and use the truck pumps, you will pay .26 tax. When I pull up at the rear, I just go in and ask for the "RV" discount and get it. I've been using certain truck stops and stations that I know will give it to me. I question whether they should be doing it, but I've been getting it for many years now. The stations I use are already lower than the big chains, so it's a pretty good deal. I haven't tried it in other states.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There's a catch to getting the discount and not all stations will do it. In AZ, any vehicle over 26,000# pays .26 in fuel tax, while those below 26,000# pay .18 per gallon. This applies only to diesel. If you are over 26,000# and fill up with diesel in front at the auto pumps, you will pay .18 in fuel tax but,,,,,,, you could get a citation from a LEO for fueling at the wrong pump for your weight. If you go to the rear and use the truck pumps, you will pay .26 tax. When I pull up at the rear, I just go in and ask for the "RV" discount and get it. I've been using certain truck stops and stations that I know will give it to me. I question whether they should be doing it, but I've been getting it for many years now. The stations I use are already lower than the big chains, so it's a pretty good deal. I haven't tried it in other states.
Crasher,
This is dated Jan of '18, take a look at this article/statement by the Arizona Transportation Department. Basically, it states ANY RV of ANY WEIGHT can fuel up at ANY PUMP that dispenses diesel, as long as the RV is not in any form, a commercial unit or, is used for commercial business, it will not be taxed at the commercial rate. I, and many others have discussed this many times on multiple RV forums and one member on RV.net, took it upon himself to make things really, really clear on this subject and wrote the AZ DOT. He basically received the same explanation as what you see below.
Scott

PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation sought today to clarify information provided earlier to the Escapees Club regarding the need for RVs over a certain weight to use diesel fuel only from specially-marked fuel pumps in order to pay a higher fuel tax rate.

Ryan Harding, with the agency’s office of public information, sent a statement to RV Daily Report earlier today, but some confusion still remains.

Harding explained that RVs of any weight used for recreational use can use fuel from pumps dispensing diesel taxed at 18 cents per gallon. However, if the RV is being used for any commercial purpose, and the RV weighs more than 26,000 pounds, the owner must use the specially-designated diesel fuel taxed at 26 cents per gallon.

Failure to use the correct diesel pump in Arizona can lead to fines of $1,000 or $10 per gallon pumped, whichever is greater, Harding said. Escapees noted yesterday the state is employing a special fuel tax evasion unit to monitor how vehicles are fueled at diesel filling stations to ensure that the correct tax is being paid.

However, Jim Koca, the Escapees advocacy director, today told RV Daily Report that his office was told by Arizona officials that ALL RVs are exempt from paying the higher fuel tax.

Yet, Harding makes it clear that is not the case.

“If the RV is being used for commercial use or the furthering of a business and weighs more than 26,000 pounds, then the driver must fill up with diesel fuel taxed at $0.26 per gallon,” he told RV Daily Report. “Any situation where the RV is being used to help an individual or a business make money can be defined as commercial use. Examples of this include, but are not limited to, an RV that is registered to a business, such as an LLC, or a musical group using an RV to travel to venues to play for money.”

Harding did not say whether workcampers would be considered involved in a “situation where the RV is being used to help an individual or business make money.”

“All diesel pumps in Arizona have ADOT warning labels which direct the consumer on the specific tax rate at that pump and legal requirements for using the lower taxed fuel,” he added. “If the RV owner fills up at diesel pumps taxed at the higher rate, but they qualify for the lower tax rate, they can contact the gas retailer and request an $0.08 per gallon refund.”

Koca also said he was told that medium duty and heavy haulers must pay the higher tax if they weigh more than 26,000 pounds or have 3 axles, and that non-commercial use does not come into play for those vehicles.

It appears the safest thing for RV owners to do when traveling in Arizona for anything other than purely recreational use is to fill up only at truck stops using diesel pumps in the truck lanes. The $8 savings on a 100-gallon fill up may prove to be a costly hassle.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #31

That's good to know. I was referring to a discussion on the FMCA site where the following was stated:

[ A lively discussion is occurring on another forum about RVers getting cited for fueling at the wrong pumps in Arizona. One of their ticketed for not using the right diesel pump. Here's the story, in short.

The RV pulled up to a regular station diesel pump and began to re-fuel. He was met by two LEOs from AZDOT who informed him he was not fueling at the correct pump and issued a citation.

Here's why he was cited. Arizona has a two tier diesel fuel tax. 18 cents/gallon for light cars and trucks and 26 cents for heavies. This means, according to Arizona law, any vehicle having more than two axles, OR any vehicle having a GVW in excess of 26,000 pounds MUST refuel ONLY at those pumps having a sticker affixed to them indicating the tax collected is at 26 cents/gallon. He was at a pump with an 18 cent sticker!

I called the AZDOT for confirmation and spoke with a very knowledgeable, informative and pleasant individual in the Arizona Fuel Tax Investigation Division of the Motor Carrier Section. He confirmed that Arizona is stepping up it's enforcement of this law and RVs are NOT EXEMPT. While he was informative, he was also very firm in this area. Apparently, it's pretty easy if one of their enforcement officers sees an RV in a regular service station to simply pull in and check the pump. If you're fueling at the wrong pump you get a citation. IMHO, not a very good way to encourage winter visitors.]

Your information is more current than that discussion, so is probably correct. They have never asked for my weight, but you need to give your license number, your state, and sign your name. It has worked at a regular station as well as truck stops.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #32

YES to the OP, and YES to the smaller fill necks, but NO to using truck stops in general; at least in the Southeast.

I notice interstate fuel places (truck stops) charge $ .25-.40/gal more for diesel, so I use normal stations that have access. My guess is that truckers get that overcharge as a credit on their statements, but who knows for sure?

Surely the truck stops aren't gouging truckers, are they?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FYI Here is a free website you can use to help locate gas stations along your route.

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #34

I use what is most easily accessible (safe and easy access and exit is a priority) with one exception....if the truck lane has no card reader and I have to go inside to pay or leave my card with them (not uncommon for some reason in the truck lanes), I usually then go to the "auto" side. Also, as has been noted, Some fuel filler tubes on RVs can't take the volume of a truck high flow pump but if yours can take the flow rate it is pretty nice and quick to use the truck lanes!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel