Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Full Body Paint

Found a great deal on a new Winnie 35 Vista LX......It does NOT have full body paint.....It does have a nice glossy tan fiberglass finish. Can someone tell me if not having full body paint is a big problem?? It looks nicer with paint and does cost quite a bit, but this is a real nice unit and the layout great.......just concerned about lack of body paint?????? A little help/advice on this please.
Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
No, it's not a problem. What's your concern? Don't let lack of FBP keep you from getting what you want. If it's well taken care of, has the layout you want at a price you want, get it.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #3

You could also go to a good sign shop that could print vinyl swirls and strips much cheaper than getting a full paint job.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
Found a great deal on a new Winnie 35 Vista LX......It does NOT have full body paint.....It does have a nice glossy tan fiberglass finish. Can someone tell me if not having full body paint is a big problem?? It looks nicer with paint and does cost quite a bit, but this is a real nice unit and the layout great.......just concerned about lack of body paint?????? A little help/advice on this please.
I have had multiple rvs my newest one has full body paint and I can say I would never go back. I have spent hours on my other units that had a nice new shinny gel coat but I guarantee no matter how much waxing or buffing you do you can not beat the sun or uv rays. Also you will start to see the decals starting to peel you can't win that battle neither. I kept our last rv covered up for the winter which did help a little. I love having the full paint also looks nicer to in my opinion.
Ace30.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had both. I'd never have another without full body paint.

If you can store it where the sun doesn't hit it you will be OK. My fiberglass body RV had sun on one side which looked awful compared to the side in the shade after a few years.
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's not a problem, but the full body paint sure is nice, both in looks and future care. Whether it's worth the money only you can decide.

The non-FBP skin should be good for at least several years with just normal care (washing and annual waxing), and you may well be trading up within that time frame.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It really depends on your expectations. Assuming it is in great condition otherwise, the lack of FBP will only affect its exterior appearance in time. As noted, unless you can keep it inside when not using it, gelcoat will eventually fade and it is a lot of work to keep it looking shiny.

If you are someone who likes a spiffy looking car, truck or RV, you may want to keep looking for a coach with FBP. If that exterior look is not that big a deal, I would not worry about it. If you like the coach and plan to buy it and keep it for years, you can always get it painted. It won't be cheap but sure cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know, all the years I've had moho's and I've never compared how fast paint and gelcoat oxidize. sounds really interesting.....
I bought mine without any stickers or paint, a "big white wonder bread truck look". Then I panted the lower doors and a strip with Dupont's Centurian acrylic enamel. There is no clear coat. Have a look at my profile pix. That was 19 years ago. I did re-paint the front, due to rock chip damage after 16 years and 125k miles. I do have admit, that when I wash the coach I dry it with towels and spray wax. I would say that the gel coat tends to oxidize faster than the paint. In fact I've never seen the acrylic enamel paint oxidize. But that said, I don't have clear coat and the peeling problems that always come with it. Inlaws started having clear coat problems after about 8 years. I did the repaint repairs several times over the years. Taught FIL how to do the prep work then I would spray it. the thing is even with the correctly matched paint, the color coat would always be a different color when the clear coat was applied and I could see the patch. FIL was happy just to have the primer covered. Now, here comes the "pressure washer debate" when you get a rock strike it perforates your clear coat or paint, just a tiny little pin prick. But when you hit it with a pressure washer, it forces the water into the pin prick an under the clear coat. A few years later, peeling clear coat. I told FIL this and he thought I was crazy, but 8 years later, peeling clear coat. The "pro's" with their pressure washers do more damage than any rocks can do. When you "wax" the pin pricked clear coat, it seals the pin holes unless some fool comes along and hits it with a 1800 psi pressure washer. Heck, at that pressure it will penetrate your skin if you hold it there long enough.
]
So, oxidation can be prevented on gelcoat by putting this strange stuff called, are you ready for it? It is called "liquid spray car wax" on your dry rag when you dry the coach. If you do it every time it will not oxidize. But, if you pressure wash it, I can guarantee that no clear coat or fiberglass will stand the test of time.

Some folks like "bird poop" graphics. Some folks like pictures. some like just plain geometric stuff. It is one of those "boxers or briefs" arguments......

"bird poop" graphics, you know, when you stand back from a coach and it looks like the coach hit a bird and the wind has pushed it's remains down the side of the coach at 70mph! Usually white on a dark color.

Hope this helps in your decision..... and entertained you too!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Full Body Paint is worth the cost.

You get fiberglass gelcoat plus multiple different colored layers of fbp plus a layer of clear coating.

The added benefit of no vinyl decals fading over time is also a very good thing.

I would not kick the coach you are looking at out of my driveway though. Just saying that fbp is worth the extra money if you can swing it.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 5er with GelCoat finish for 11 years before getting the MH in 2012. I was continually fighting the black streaks on the GelCoat!

When we bought the MH I didn't really even know what full-body paint was! I was amazed at how good the coach looked to be 10 years old at the time! Now that we have had it for 5 years it still looks almost like new! When water runs off the roof and streaks the sides I can wipe them off with a dry towel!

I can't say for sure that the full-body paint would be a deal-breaker. It would depend on how much I liked everything else, but I would sure hate to know I would no longer have it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Black streaks have little to do with it being gel-coated - the streaks come from EPDM rubber roof run-off. Chances are the coach with the full body paint also had a superior roof material, so streaks were essentially eliminated.Gel coat may stain easier and be harder to clean, though.

Better brand coaches may have a clear coat over the gel coat, so in essence they are still "painted" and thus easier to keep clean & shiny. I'm not sure how you would determine this before buying. Maybe call the manufacturer and ask?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

After 9 years of cleaning and waxing the gel coat on our TT and replacing 75% of all the decals we ordered our Precept with full body paint. Looks great, less maintenance and will have a higher resale value.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Our class C didn't have full paint, and I have to say, I found it to be a pain, so full paint was on my short list for our new rv. Luckily, we ended up purchasing a Tiffin which has full paint standard, but on most it's a 10K option if buying new, and will obviously raise the price on a used unit. (Don't think I don't realize Tiffin charges for full paint here, it's just not an option to not get it so... whatever.)

However, if you like everything else about it, it's what you're looking for, AND it's a great deal, I probably wouldn't walk away just because of lack of full paint. Just know that you'll want to cover it when stored, and it can be a bit more fuss to keep it shiny, clean and nice looking. If that's more work that you feel you want to deal with, walk. If you think you can deal, then move ahead, but only you can answer that question.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #14

no problem. follow the comments already stated
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint