Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Full Body Paint

Having second thoughts about current "decision". I have been on the search for a newer rig, and have told my wife I want to look only at rigs with full body paint. Now, as the search progresses I have begun to second think this decision. I am looking at 6-8 year old motor homes, and have so often seen them with failure of the clear coat at the tops of front and rear panels, and roof edges where that is painted. I know how to fix oxidation on the gel coat panels, and just want to get away from that work, thinking a painted coach would just need annual coat of wax, and save hours of buff and polish before waxing.

Now, thinking there is no quick fix for these paint failures, I am thinking of revising my search to include non-painted models.

Does anyone know if companies paint with something other than clear coat paint jobs, like maybe a urethane paint, like that used on boats. I would think the paints without clear coat would be more durable in this application. Not sure .
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago used some Imron on their coaches years ago. My 2002 Winnebago Journey did not have FBP but it was painted at the bottom with Imron. The unpainted gelcoat was getting dull but the Imron held up well.

I think everyone is now using base coat/clear coat. Even manufacturers who did really good paint jobs have issues with the clear coat failing over time on roof radius and tops of front and rear caps. Our 10 year old Country Coach was painted with Sikkens base/clear and the coach still looks nearly new (and it has not always been stored inside). However, the clear and base coat on the roof radius had faded and started to look bad. I recently had the roof radius and the tops of front and rear caps re-painted and re-clear coated.

If you otherwise like your coach and it is in good condition, have you considered getting it painted? It is not cheap but less than buying a newer rig.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Having second thoughts about current "decision". I have been on the search for a newer rig, and have told my wife I want to look only at rigs with full body paint. Now, as the search progresses I have begun to second think this decision. I am looking at 6-8 year old motor homes, and have so often seen them with failure of the clear coat at the tops of front and rear panels, and roof edges where that is painted. I know how to fix oxidation on the gel coat panels, and just want to get away from that work, thinking a painted coach would just need annual coat of wax, and save hours of buff and polish before waxing.

Now, thinking there is no quick fix for these paint failures, I am thinking of revising my search to include non-painted models.

Does anyone know if companies paint with something other than clear coat paint jobs, like maybe a urethane paint, like that used on boats. I would think the paints without clear coat would be more durable in this application. Not sure .
What about wraps????.... Has anyone considered putting a a wrap on their RV instead of repainting??
WillysLeg 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you may run into clear coat issues, but I think that is far better than oxidized gelcoat where you're constantly trying to make it look nice and never will.

If you find a coach with the clear coat going bad along the roof, price it into the sale. It's about a $2500.00 to $4000.00 repair depending on the length. Once it's done, your roof line will last as long as you own the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

I am on my 11th class A and this year finally bought my first full body paint and love it. I buy one every year or two to use for the season and then resale for a profit. The one I bought this year the previous owner had it done by one of the premier motorhome painters in 2012 and it looks like new literally without a scratch on it. Know in the future I'll probably end up with another gelcoat and shiver at the thought. I'd rather have a little flaking and fading than oxidized gelcoat and peeling/cracking vinyl graphics that I have to spend a week buffing to make it look like it should. I actually turned down a offer that would have made me 10k in profit before I even got it home because I love the paint so much plus my grandson says we have to keep it till at least the end of next season
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7522708_17.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	179716  
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
That's a NICE paint job....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Some manufacturers have had paint or clear coat problems at the top of the front cap. Not every coach, but more than a few. Best guess is heat build up, since it doesn't seem to be a problem elsewhere.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Trode,
Let me ask you this. When parking lots, ANY parking lot, just about anywhere in the U.S., have you seen cars/trucks/ any vehicle with "Peeling" clear coat on the hoods, roofs, trunks etc.? It happens daily. Motor homes are no different. Many people blame the prep work on peeling clear coats. Well, does that mean that practically EVERY manufacturer of any type and make of auto is guilty of faulty prep work in its painting process? Nope.

Base coat/Clear coat is a process that's been around for decades. It's normally a darned good process and NORMALLY it presents a very nice paint job that NORMALLY lasts for a long time. But, as we all know, Normal is not always. It's really too bad because most of us paid fairly high dollars to get what we have. We (speaking to everyone who has one) wanted full body paint for multiple reasons. They do require considerably less effort to remain nice looking and shiny.

There's also the fact that just about all the graphics on full body painted coaches are PAINTED on, not vinyl add-ons. So, there's no peeling of the graphics after a few years like what happens them normally. And, if a coach is kept up, that is washed and waxed on a semi-frequent basis, a 10 year old coach can look almost brand new.

The peeling of the clear coach on the roof radius's is an issue, no doubt about it. It's not the end of the world. Just about any painting outfit can handle those radius's without issue in a short while without too much cost.

As has been stated, if you find a model you like, the floor plan is EXACTLY what you're looking for, the engine and trans are what you'd like to have and, all else is to your satisfaction, then some clear peeling clear is no big deal. It can be remedied.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysLeg 14 View Post
What about wraps????.... Has anyone considered putting a a wrap on their RV instead of repainting??
We had wraps on our company SUVs (with the company name, some product advertising printed, and they had nice looking custom graphics and colors). They looked very nice and looked like paint. They costs about $2000 per vehicle (Chevy Traverse and Honda CVRs) but they lasted several years. We had lease vehicles. When the leases ended the wraps where removed and the paint under looked like new.

I would do a wrap on a motor home except that I think it would be very expensive due to the large sq-ft to cover. Maybe more economical on the front end (for example to protect against bugs with the idea that you would replace every couple of years).

Our wraps used the 3M brand (note that there are several levels/grades within the 3M lines too) and they had a UV protectant in them so they didn't fade (I'm in FL).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Clear coat will last 20 years +. However you need to wash regularly and wax/polymer coat it at least once a year. The reason clear coats go bad on roof edges is lack of wax.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Full Body Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Trode,

Let me ask you this. When parking lots, ANY parking lot, just about anywhere in the U.S., have you seen cars/trucks/ any vehicle with "Peeling" clear coat on the hoods, roofs, trunks etc.? It happens daily. Motor homes are no different. Many people blame the prep work on peeling clear coats. Well, does that mean that practically EVERY manufacturer of any type and make of auto is guilty of faulty prep work in its painting process? Nope.

Base coat/Clear coat is a process that's been around for decades. It's normally a darned good process and NORMALLY it presents a very nice paint job that NORMALLY lasts for a long time. But, as we all know, Normal is not always. It's really too bad because most of us paid fairly high dollars to get what we have. We (speaking to everyone who has one) wanted full body paint for multiple reasons. They do require considerably less effort to remain nice looking and shiny.

There's also the fact that just about all the graphics on full body painted coaches are PAINTED on, not vinyl add-ons. So, there's no peeling of the graphics after a few years like what happens them normally. And, if a coach is kept up, that is washed and waxed on a semi-frequent basis, a 10 year old coach can look almost brand new.

The peeling of the clear coach on the roof radius's is an issue, no doubt about it. It's not the end of the world. Just about any painting outfit can handle those radius's without issue in a short while without too much cost.

As has been stated, if you find a model you like, the floor plan is EXACTLY what you're looking for, the engine and trans are what you'd like to have and, all else is to your satisfaction, then some clear peeling clear is no big deal. It can be remedied.

Scott

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	179772
Here you go. Having redone in the spring. Front and back.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	179779
Old 10-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #12

Having had RVs with full body paint and with graphics, I would never have one with graphics again. They just do not last. I do not want to deal with the fading and peeling.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine has full body paint (graphics are paint also) and it's 21 yrs old and still looks new. It is stored inside so I'm not sure if that's helps any. Paint will last a lot longer but the sun will kill anything if you give it enough time.

Edit - fyi my coach is metal not fiberglass so I'm not sure if that makes a difference regarding how long the paint will last. Either way waxing it is not fun...
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Theres nothing wrong with gelcoat. If its maintained correctly, it'll last a long time, 20, 30, 40 years... The big advantage with gelcoat, once the panels and walls are assembled, your finished, no paint required. If you want to paint the gelcoat, this is a large additional expense.

If done correctly and with good quality paint, clear coat will last forever.

I suspect the peeling issues I've seen on MHs is a result of improper application. The clear was not applied immediately after the base, and therefore did not achieve a good bond.

When I painted my Southwind, I chose not to use clearcoat. My painting time schedule would not guarantee the allowed time to spray on the clear coat immediately after the base coat. and I didn't want the headaches of painting the MH twice, once with base coat and once with clear coat.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint