Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are really proud of that stuff!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Nu-Finish paste....lasts a year if you use car washing soap.....
I also use nu- Finish, and use Meguiar's wash soap. Wax every other year, wash after every use, and it stays in the garage when not being used. 16 years old and looks like new. inside storage is the key, wax can only do so much.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #59

Nu Finish is like Rejex.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #60

Anyone have a magic bullet for paint swirls? We have them in our black and dark paint areas.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #61

Question for the power buffer users. I’m looking at the new Rupes mark ii

https://www.amazon.com/Rupes-Mark-Ra.../dp/B01CKI3YRK

What pads and polish do you use for taking swirls and holograms out of your paint?

Also, how many pads and how much polish does it take to do a coach?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Question for the power buffer users. I’m looking at the new Rupes mark ii

https://www.amazon.com/Rupes-Mark-Ra.../dp/B01CKI3YRK

What pads and polish do you use for taking swirls and holograms out of your paint?

Also, how many pads and how much polish does it take to do a coach?
Go back to my post (#15) early in this thread, and read through the links of other threads to get more insight on polishing, and check out web sites of product providers to see “how to” videos. BTW, you have the same paint imperfections you see in the dark colors in your light colors..... I’ll also make note that the care you take in washing / drying has the biggest impact on your paint condition than anything; lots of discussion on that in those links as well; and once you let “Two Schumcks with a Truck and a Brush” mobile detailing touch your RV, its all a gamble at that point......

I’m not going to get into back and forth on what products are best for what, but I general refer to companies I have used over the years. I reference Griot’s Garage and Adams Polishes; Autogeek is also good, but novices can easily get lost there.

A few quick thoughts, which are all covered to one degree or another in the linked threads noted above.

Rupes machines are certainly well respected products by avid detailers and professionals; it also appears (but not certain) to me that the Griots Boss machine is a private labled Rupes.

Wether Griots or Adams or most other companies, they can help you match pads to Polishes. No matter what products you decide on, call and talk to thier people to ensure you are getting appropriate products to use given your skills and expectations.

Doing multi cut Polishes (heavy cut, medium cut, finish / final cut) on an RV would make a daunting task even more so. I have found that the Griots Complete Compound (heavier initial cut) and Groits Complete Polish (finer initial cut) break down to a fine enough cut (on an RV at least, and even my Jeep) that you don’t have to use a final finish cut.

I’ve only had to do a full polish on my entire coach twice, and in each case did not use a full bottle of polish. Bay doors do get done more often, even just a light go over, and I also had to do most of my passenger side one time when some campground water sprinkers left some nasty water spots. That said, my paint was / is in very good condition and I did not have to do much in the way of heavy paint correction.

Just in closing, whatever you decide, don’t buy from Amazon, buy from a detailing company and leverage their expertise.

Hope that helps.....

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Go back to my post (#15) early in this thread, and read through the links of other threads to get more insight on polishing, and check out web sites of product providers to see “how to” videos. BTW, you have the same paint imperfections you see in the dark colors in your light colors..... I’ll also make note that the care you take in washing / drying has the biggest impact on your paint condition than anything; lots of discussion on that in those links as well; and once you let “Two Schumcks with a Truck and a Brush” mobile detailing touch your RV, its all a gamble at that point......

I’m not going to get into back and forth on what products are best for what, but I general refer to companies I have used over the years. I reference Griot’s Garage and Adams Polishes; Autogeek is also good, but novices can easily get lost there.

A few quick thoughts, which are all covered to one degree or another in the linked threads noted above.

Rupes machines are certainly well respected products by avid detailers and professionals; it also appears (but not certain) to me that the Griots Boss machine is a private labled Rupes.

Wether Griots or Adams or most other companies, they can help you match pads to Polishes. No matter what products you decide on, call and talk to thier people to ensure you are getting appropriate products to use given your skills and expectations.

Doing multi cut Polishes (heavy cut, medium cut, finish / final cut) on an RV would make a daunting task even more so. I have found that the Griots Complete Compound (heavier initial cut) and Groits Complete Polish (finer initial cut) break down to a fine enough cut (on an RV at least, and even my Jeep) that you don’t have to use a final finish cut.

I’ve only had to do a full polish on my entire coach twice, and in each case did not use a full bottle of polish. Bay doors do get done more often, even just a light go over, and I also had to do most of my passenger side one time when some campground water sprinkers left some nasty water spots. That said, my paint was / is in very good condition and I did not have to do much in the way of heavy paint correction.

Just in closing, whatever you decide, don’t buy from Amazon, buy from a detailing company and leverage their expertise.

Hope that helps.....

Regards

Thanks for the tips. I ended up ordering the Rupes polisher and Rupes pads.

Foreseeing the beating of multiple passes on this size of a project I spent a lot of time researching the all in ones for the light swirling and landed on the Griot’s one step sealant.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...tep+sealant.do

I went ahead and ordered their complete show system of polishes for a couple of spots i have concerns with what they did to the paint at the dealership with their “wheel guy”.

Hopefully this works. Appreciate the help.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Try Nu-Finish Liquid 10 bucks and easy and if after a year not satisfied go crazy on something else more expensive and more work but I bet you'll stay with Nu-Finish
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobogey View Post
If you have full body paint, it has been painted with basecoat / clearcoat. No need to wax . My 2008 Itasca 38j looks like new and has never been waxed. If you must do it use Nu-Finish Liquid. Quick and Easy and nothing works better or lasts longer. The only thing waxing does is make it easier to wash.
Well I have read lots and lots of good about Nu-Finish, how easy it is to apply and remove. So I washed the coach and got a bottle of Nu-Finish and went to work. I must be doing something wrong, I have done one side and the front, and it looks great, but taking it off is really hard. I'm using very little and applying it with a orbital buffer. What am I doing wrong? It's wearing me out.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #66

Using damp cloth to apply?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #67

I'm currently doing my 5er with the paste, and having no problem....
Old 06-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #68

Damp cloth or pad to apply helps. Microfiber to take off.
I usually apply by hand and not very hard. If it needs it will use a DA machine w swirl remover & foam pad to prep surface.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #69

Forest River Owners Club
Don't complicate things … your painted coach has clearcoat over the paint EXACTLY LIKE YOUR CAR. Something like Turtle Wax Wash 'n Wax will do a great job with minimal work … mix it in the water, wet the coach with a hose, wipe the water wash 'n wax mixture on the coach with a wash mit or soft wash brush, hose it off and let it dry. If you really want to put more effort into it, wipe it down with a chamois, micro fiber or something similar. NOTHING more required.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Using damp cloth to apply?
No I was not damping the pad. I missed that part on the directions, It works much better now. Thanks
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint