Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Full body paint waxing question

Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for your info. We have a 2013 Forest River Georgetown with Full Body Paint. It's been a great rig and have had no problems. We've had it since last summer, and have washed it with McGuires. Now it's time to wax it. We don't want to mess this up. Any tips on products? We want to do this ourselves. I don't even want to tell you what a "RV Wash and Detailing Company" did to our previous Fiberglass BT Cruiser. Seriously, we trust no company. We want to Do it ourselves this time. Thanks in advance.
KathyandMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used Dry Wash N Guard since 2005. Easy on, easy off and lasts a year stored outside in WA weather.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

McGuires RV/Marine is a very good product. I also really like Collinite FleetWax. If you can afford it McGuires Advanced really shines, but you will need to reapply it about every three months.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've used Dry Wash N Guard since 2005. Easy on, easy off and lasts a year stored outside in WA weather.
Thanks so much, Mr. D. We will look into it!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

Thank you 450 Donn! We will look into both of those options!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #6

303 Quick Car Detailer with UV Protectant - High Gloss Car Cleaner and Detailing Spray, 16 fl. oz.

Similar to the other products that have been mentioned, but my favorite for all my toys
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

Kathyandmark,
I’ve been washing & waxing cars/trucks/motor homes (4)/motorcycles(about 30 +or -) and more for well over 55 years and one thing is for sure, NO WAX lasts like the manufacturer(s) claim. The sun is the worst killer of ALL automotive type finishes. But, the rest of the earths elements also have their affects too. I really haven’t in the past, don’t now and probably never will believe in “sealers” or any other wazoo coating that’s supposed to put an end to waxing forever.
With all that being said, without a doubt, a regular WAXING is the best preservation you could do for your investment.

YEAH, it’s WORK! I have used every kind of wax most automotive supplies stores sell and, as stated earlier, NONE of them last all that long. Pastes, liquids and any other, are no different in quality. Oh, they’ll tell you in there ads, they last for a long, long time and protect better than everyone else’s.

And, since none of them last all that long, I just use what’s easy on, easy off. The majority of my application & removal has been by hand for decades but, for our full body painted ‘04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, I use what the pro’s use. And that is a Porter Cable 7063 random/orbital professional machine. NO, it’s not one of those cheapie $20 junk ones.

The coach gets washed with Walmart’s automotive wash soap and a good quality microfiber washing wand. I also use deionized water for a spotless drying. As for what wax I use, it’s a liquid I purchase from an automotive detailers supplies. I use one bonnet on the machine for application and another for removal.

Even on a 36’ long, 10’ High coach, even climbing up and down the ladder and moving it, I can apply a coat to all 4 sides in 1/2 a day. Yeah, like I said, IT’S WORK! Putting it on, is not all that difficult. Taking it off and paying attention to detail, is what takes longer than the application part. But it’s all done by noon, the next day.

We get comments on it every time we camp. People think it’s a lot newer than it is.

It’s your choice. There’s no magic elixir out there that eliminates any and all labor on protecting your valued toy. But, there are easier ways to do it. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

Nu-Finish paste....lasts a year if you use car washing soap.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

Ask a 100 people what is their favorite wax and get almost as many answers. The reality is, waxing is like changing your oil. What brand you use isn't as important as just doing it on a regular basis. I do a "real" wax twice a year and do quick touch-ups in between with a spray detailer.

I've used all kinds of products on my cars, motorcycles, and Rvs. For the past couple years I've been using Meguiar's NXT wax. Not because it's any sooper dooper wax, but because it comes off easier than a lot of other waxes I've tried. I take my time on a nice day and actually find the process relaxing. Yes, it's hard work but I enjoy it.

I too use a variable speed, random orbital polisher to apply and then remove the wax. I find with the polisher, I can put on a nice even coat, using less wax. After removing with a fresh terry pad cover, I finish by going over the area with a towel.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
303 Quick Car Detailer with UV Protectant - High Gloss Car Cleaner and Detailing Spray, 16 fl. oz.

Similar to the other products that have been mentioned, but my favorite for all my toys
Thanks so very much, lwmmcguirewe. We will look into this!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Kathyandmark,
I’ve been washing & waxing cars/trucks/motor homes (4)/motorcycles(about 30 +or -) and more for well over 55 years and one thing is for sure, NO WAX lasts like the manufacturer(s) claim. The sun is the worst killer of ALL automotive type finishes. But, the rest of the earths elements also have their affects too. I really haven’t in the past, don’t now and probably never will believe in “sealers” or any other wazoo coating that’s supposed to put an end to waxing forever.
With all that being said, without a doubt, a regular WAXING is the best preservation you could do for your investment.

YEAH, it’s WORK! I have used every kind of wax most automotive supplies stores sell and, as stated earlier, NONE of them last all that long. Pastes, liquids and any other, are no different in quality. Oh, they’ll tell you in there ads, they last for a long, long time and protect better than everyone else’s.

And, since none of them last all that long, I just use what’s easy on, easy off. The majority of my application & removal has been by hand for decades but, for our full body painted ‘04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, I use what the pro’s use. And that is a Porter Cable 7063 random/orbital professional machine. NO, it’s not one of those cheapie $20 junk ones.

The coach gets washed with Walmart’s automotive wash soap and a good quality microfiber washing wand. I also use deionized water for a spotless drying. As for what wax I use, it’s a liquid I purchase from an automotive detailers supplies. I use one bonnet on the machine for application and another for removal.

Even on a 36’ long, 10’ High coach, even climbing up and down the ladder and moving it, I can apply a coat to all 4 sides in 1/2 a day. Yeah, like I said, IT’S WORK! Putting it on, is not all that difficult. Taking it off and paying attention to detail, is what takes longer than the application part. But it’s all done by noon, the next day.

We get comments on it every time we camp. People think it’s a lot newer than it is.

It’s your choice. There’s no magic elixir out there that eliminates any and all labor on protecting your valued toy. But, there are easier ways to do it. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
Thank you so much for your reply. What you are suggesting is what we 've kind of been thinking as well. The "sealing" idea really scared us off, as we had a sealant put on our old BT Cruiser and it looked great for a while, then eventually began to yellow and flake! We've never thought of deionized water, but we are going to try it. We have a darker paint job in places, and our water here in Orlando always leaves water marks, so thanks for that! Also, thank you for telling us about your concept of wax. That is what we are going to use. Our RV is stored outside in the Florida sun, so we have to keep up with waxing. Thank you again for your helpful info and time.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

Thanks Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Nu-Finish paste....lasts a year if you use car washing soap.....
Nu Finish sounds good. We use it on our cars and works great.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #13

Thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Ask a 100 people what is their favorite wax and get almost as many answers. The reality is, waxing is like changing your oil. What brand you use isn't as important as just doing it on a regular basis. I do a "real" wax twice a year and do quick touch-ups in between with a spray detailer.

I've used all kinds of products on my cars, motorcycles, and Rvs. For the past couple years I've been using Meguiar's NXT wax. Not because it's any sooper dooper wax, but because it comes off easier than a lot of other waxes I've tried. I take my time on a nice day and actually find the process relaxing. Yes, it's hard work but I enjoy it.

I too use a variable speed, random orbital polisher to apply and then remove the wax. I find with the polisher, I can put on a nice even coat, using less wax. After removing with a fresh terry pad cover, I finish by going over the area with a towel.
This is also great information! We are Meguiars fans here. Good to know that still, no matter how you slice it or dice it, wax is the way to go.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyandMark View Post
Nu Finish sounds good. We use it on our cars and works great.
Nu Finish has been my go to for many years.
Definitely easy on and off.
I use the liquid but that's just me. Paste is good too.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint