Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #15

1. Foam cannon
2. Wash with microfiber pad, then rinse.
3. Clay the surface while wet (Groits Speed Shine with Fine Surface Prep mitt)
4. Dry surface with large waffle weave microfiber towel
5. Polish the paint (Groits BOSS system - Correcting Cream with orange correcting pad using an orbital buffer)
6. Polish again (Groits Perfecting Cream with matching pad)
7. Remove the polish
8. Apply sealant (BOSS)

For the most part I only did one correction step so 5 or 6 but on some of the black paint areas I did use both steps. I actually tried all three stages of polish on some areas at first to determine which ones I needed to get me the results I wanted.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #16

Rotts4u, per our side "conversatioin", great job!

He wasn't the only one doing a full exterior detail this past week.

Wed. - full wash, including roof (I HATE washing the roof - scares me to death). No extension pole with a wish mitt this time, up (and down) on a ladder to throughly get everything around the topper brackets, etc. With wife's help, about 5 hours.

Then polish with Griot's Complete Compound and finish with Griot's Polywax sealant. Thurs. back cap and front end - 6 hours. Sat. 6 hours to do the right side, Sun. 6 hours to do the left.

While this is a lot of effort, I love detailing my cars and RVs, and I've become a "paint snob". The (sad) reality is, even many, if not most "car guys" have marginal to even worse paint finishes on thier cars. Sure they may keep them clean, but when you look closely, the paint is often full of various "swirls", micro scratches, etc.

I've posted many times on "proper" washing and detailing techniques, some products that I use (detailing products are like religion......), but the reality is, whether it's your RV or car it's all about your personal expectations as well as the time and effort you are willing to take.

I didn't "clay bar" as rotts did, and I was going to at least do my bay doors but just drew the line given the time factor since I had to be done before the rain hit today. My storage is covered, but not fully enclosed.

I'm a bit older than rotts4u, and I was pretty shot last night, and I'd be pretty happy if I can keep up this level of detailing my RV into my mid / late 60s.

But as I have said before, it's about your expectations and what makes you happy, not what I do.

Oh, to start off last week, on Sunday and Monday, I washed, clay bared, polished and "waxed" the Cherokee...... After dragging it behind the RV for 6000 miles and driving it another 3500 over the summer, it was looking pretty ragged.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	180735  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #17

Can never seem to get more than 1 picture to load, so here's one more.

Another side note, this is the second time I have done a full polish and wax of our coach. The first time I did 1/2 in Dec. of 2015, then finished it in March. Of 2016. I have applied Polywax sealant a couple of times since, polished all the bay doors an other time, and had to polish out the lower part of the drivers slide due to water spotting from a campground sprinkler last fall, and have done some "spot polishing" on occasion to get out an imperfection that would be bugging me. Of course after any polishing, always applied the Polywax.

And I am a bit cautious of how aggressive I am polishing the coach vs. my cars......

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	180736  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #18

Nice job. I also use a foam canon when I want to do a full, good wash. Nothing like it.

For others here that asked questions on other products used, here's what I've posted before that may answer some of your questions:

How I wash my MH
I use the Chemical Guys Foam Canon that snaps onto the end of a standard power washer wand and this thing works awesome. I wish I knew about this washing procedure years ago. The key is to use the right foaming soap. Some foam soaps will strip off all that beautiful wax you've spent hours putting on.

My procedure is:
1) Put about 1 - 2oz. of soap into the canon and fill the rest with hot water (amount of soap depends how dirty the rig is)
2) Snap on canon to the wand, fire up power washer, stand about 6'-8' away from the MH and saturate the entire rig with thick foam
3) Let foam sit for about 5-7 minutes
4) Rinse off foam with the power washer with just water using one of the standard power washer wide spray tips. This 1st process will remove 90% of the dirt & grime
5) Repeat steps 1 & 2
6) Use the extended pole with microfiber mop and run that over the MH with the 2nd application of foam (This telescoping pole is also amazing to use. I’ve never seen this kind of extending pole mechanism before)
7) Rinse again with just water
8) Attach squeegee to pole and squeegee the excess water off MH

NO risk of scratching your MH. No ladder needed. No water spots or very few. Wrap towel around mop and dry windshield, and other windows. Step back and gaze at your sparkling rig. Takes me about 1hr. from start to finish.

I plan on buying a portable electric power washer to take with us while we're traveling so I can repeat this process while on the road

Soap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pole & Mop

Squeegee

Why I use Meguiar’s Ultimate wax
NOTE: I'd like to comment on those who say they use Nu Finish wax. I too used Nu Finish for years and loved it UNTIL I bought Meguiar's Ultimate. You have to be careful when applying Nu Finish because—like 99% of waxes—if you get it on rubber trim, black window trim or anything like that, it's nearly impossible to get it all off and it leaves that ugly white streaking. It also dries to a typical white chalky power like most other waxes too. Not Meguiar's Ultimate. This stuff goes on so easy and you don't have to worry about getting it on any trim or anything else for that matter and it buffs out amazing. It's also great for graphics. It's kinda like a "conditioner" for them and restores a nice richness to them. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I don't think you'll ever go back to Nu Finish or any other type of wax.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, now I don't feel crazy for completely washing and waxing my coach 2 or 3 times a year. Yours looks great and well worth the time. I use Griots as well but am still looking for a wax that's not a real pain to remove.

I'm not sure you mentioned your tires and rims. I got the rim polish/wax from Freightliner and it works very well. I've heard different things about treating the tires, including it will void the warranty if you do anything. I read the warranty and all I found was that Michelin doesn't recommend it. I tend to keep the tires clean and only use a mild treatment once a year. Your thoughts?
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #20

I use Turtle Wax ICE. I've used it on my Corvette for a few years and like it. I used Rejex on the front cap then went over it with ICE on the sides. The ICE part shines much better. I'll be putting on another coat in the spring. I don't have full body paint, so I don't get that quality of a shine.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3811 View Post
Ok, now I don't feel crazy for completely washing and waxing my coach 2 or 3 times a year. Yours looks great and well worth the time. I use Griots as well but am still looking for a wax that's not a real pain to remove.

I'm not sure you mentioned your tires and rims. I got the rim polish/wax from Freightliner and it works very well. I've heard different things about treating the tires, including it will void the warranty if you do anything. I read the warranty and all I found was that Michelin doesn't recommend it. I tend to keep the tires clean and only use a mild treatment once a year. Your thoughts?
If you are using Griot's Best of Show Wax, yes, it it a total pita to remove. I quit using it (and thier "Machine Polish 1, 2, and 3" products) years ago, as I experimented with products from several other suppliers, some of which I still use. I think for a while Griots did not keep up with the market, particularly their wax and polishes; in the last couple years they have come out with a lot of new products, many of which are much easier to use and provide very nice results.

Given the longevity factor of waxes vs. sealants, a sealant is more reasonable use on an RV, although if you are working on a high level paint / finish, many / most sealants won't give you the "depth" that a good wax will.

There many waxes and sealants that are easy to use; Griot's Polywax sealant which I use on the RV and Jeep is very easy to apply and remove. As for a Carnuba wax, I am currently using Adams Americana wax on my BMW which is again, very easy to apply and remove; Swissvax (very expensive stuff) is what I used for many years on my BMWs and Porsche is also very easy to apply and remove........

I use 303 on my RV tires, and as the Tiffin gasser wheels are clear coated, I just finish them with detailing spray.

My then 8 year old CaymanS 3 years ago, right before I sold it. It was no trailer queen either...... 35,000 miles, as well as auto cross and track use.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	180757  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #22

Its nice to see all these great pics ! I am also glad I am not the only OCD person that goes to all this trouble to keep my coach looking great.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #23

Looks fabulous
Mattie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What brand is this wash and wax many use?

It's the name of the product Wash Wax All
jowmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #25

Nice, now cover it up and never drive it again 😁
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would love to learn to do a full detail on my motorhome but I am scared of ruining the finish. Where did you learn to do the buffing and polishing?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
rotts4u,

I have the Porter Cable Pro Polisher/Wax applicator #7346. After washing and air drying, I can, if I'm energetic enough, apply a complete coat of wax to the entire 36' coach in about an hour. Then, since I would have lost much of that energy, it would take me the rest of the day to buff that wax off.
Very nice detail work guys!!!

I have the Porter Cable 7424 and it works great just not pleased with the pads I use. I use the pads linked below and again not pleased with them, they clog to fast and leave swirls. What do you all use?

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ccs-...l#.We-feltSypo
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #28

Beautiful.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome