Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Full Time Planning

We have camped all of our lives so we are not new to the RV world. We both have retired, sold the SB and are in the process of upgrading our class A gas for a DP. There is a wealth of information on the forums about the mechanisms of Mail, Domicile, selling stuff etc. Our big question is "where do we go?". Do you FT out there have specific Itineraries for a year or do you just head down a road. I traveled for 30+ years and not knowing where I am going is a little disconcerting.

how did you guys start out
ThatWaySulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Hmmm, right now I would head for someplace that looks warmish for the winter... whatever strikes your fancy and budget.

Not a full timer but know a few. Most had a bucket list to start then all eventually settled on a circuit of friendly places paced to follow good weather. Some deviated after that, some did not. Eventually most went off road somewhere they liked. Some are still traveling. ;-)

If you want to start I'd suggest there are 3 places to winter. Florida, The Lower Rio Grande River Valley and the southern Arizona desert. Might want to pick one or two and try them out this year. That gives you time to think about the rest.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Depends on 'what your definition' of FULL TIME IS??????

To some.......park in CG for several months at a time ------southern area in winter/northern area in summer

To some.......park in Resort and live in RV

To some...travel

We traveled....weekly/bi-monthly
We hit the road FT to go see/experience/have an adventure
We started in SO. CA and then went to tip of Maine
Maine down East Coast to tip of FL
FL up thru Gulf then to tip of WA
WA down West Coast to tip of So CA
SO CA east southern route to FL
FL north to Great Lakes then northern NY State
Followed the FALL Colors south down to GA
GA west up thru mid-west to Black Hills then west to the coast
Then south then north then east then south then west then north etc etc etc

We traveled secondary/back-roads as much as possible. Hate Interstate travel so rarely used them.

Travel 200-250 miles on travel day. Set up base camp and then go see the local area/the sights and the off beaten path stuff.
Mondays were travel day..leave by 10AM and be set up having a 'welcome home' cocktail under the awning by 3:30pm
Spend week or two and then move again.

We hit the road to travel and it didn't have to be any where particular.
We were retired, didn't have to be any where by such and such so we just went.
Looked at paper map and said "That looks like an interesting route"

12 trips across, Up/Down, back/forth the USA and rarely used same roads twice.

If it wasn't for a curve ball life threw we would still be 'traveling' following our nose.
Great lifestyle.

YOU just have to figure what lifestyle you want, like, need, enjoy.
It's your lifestyle to choose
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We're not full-timing yet - but are moving in that direction. This year it's been 2-3 months on the road followed by a couple of months at home followed by another 2-3 months on the road. I expect this pattern to continue for a bit.

As far as "where to go is concerned" - for us it varies. Our most recent trip was to go visit our oldest son who had relocated to Phoenix for his job earlier in the year. We took 2+ weeks to drive out to Phoenix - enjoying a few days visiting long time friends (I got yelled at when I said "old friends") in the Denver area. We took 3+ weeks driving home.

In the winter - we're trying to flee the cold Michigan weather - so we pick a warm destination. In the summer - we like being near water - so we tend to do several short trips in Michigan. Sometimes it's a trip to visit friends near Traverse City. Other times, it's camping with a family group.

I would guess you'll find yourself doing something similar ... with there being any number of reasons that make sense to you influencing your itinerary. What we're finding is that as we do more and more of this - the crisp, decisive rationale for why we've picked "X" as a destination is getting less and less crisp and/or decisive. I fully expect that we'll be heading in a direction for no particular reason at all. I'm looking forward to reaching that point!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

Our S&B closed faster than we had imagined, even before we had found the right used rv. When we found our rig, last we started a bit of planning.

Many warm weather places were already booked that winter. We did find their were plenty of spots available in RGV Texas. If you seek a last minute winter spot, that might be an easy, pleasant, affordable option. we tend to be planners and did map out a route with reservations some nights (especially weekends and holidays). To spend this winter in FL state parks, we made reservations as much as 11 months in advance. Florida does seem to book up in winter.

We have cancelled and rescheduled as we travel, staying longer some places.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

If your plan is to travel then definitely don't overdo it at first. Depending on the weather when you start, choose a small block of states a season to explore thoroughly - not just driving the interstates. When winter approaches head to one or more of the southern states and travel less. Then in April slowly begin moving northward again.

The key is not to keep traveling long distances or you will wear out and it won't be enjoyable.

During our 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly, we never had a solid itinerary. We had a 'rough' idea of the states we'd explore that season and go from there. We rarely made reservations. Then you're free to stay longer or leave earlier.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #7

I want to thank everyone for their valuable input. Our big fear was not finding a good place to stay. Since we have started staying out longer, we tend to plan on 2/3 weeks in a spot because Moving Days are not my favorite activity. I guess our apprehensions can only be resolved by putting it in gear and drive. It sure sounds like a wonderful learning curve. I am finally get my knee replaced next week so we will be house bound for a few weeks. After that, Yellow Stone here we come
ThatWaySulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Plan? What plan? We are just getting started in this lifestyle and are only on our second campground. We'll be here another week, and have a reservation for a couple weeks beyond that, and then boondocking with family. Once we get past the holidays we have no idea, other than a vague "stay in the southeast until summer" idea because of other family commitments. After that, it's an even more vague "head west" idea.

I don't know if we're quite up for the no-reservations mentality yet, but we are definitely not planning long term either. I'd like to head to Florida but looking around finds almost everything booked solid and I'm not thrilled about going into that state without even a hint of a plan.

Sunday is travel day for us. Since we are still working, we have to be in place and connected first thing Monday morning. That's about the only certainty we have right now.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #9

Other than wanting to be south in the winter, and north in the summer, our "plan" was to take a left out of the driveway every morning and see where it took us. At first we thought we would do about 400 miles a day, turns out 250 is a more reasonable number. We did learn to make reservations for Friday and Saturday nights because pulling in somewhere on Friday at 4pm looking for a spot did not always work well.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

We rarely made reservations but we'd move on Sunday through Wednesday and stay the weekend.

OP: You state your big fear is not having a good place to stay. I don't know what you mean by 'good'. We rarely found bad places. We love public parks and boondocking and dislike private parks. However, you might want to begin your searches using campgroundreviews.com and it will give you guidelines on ratings by other RVers. However, don't take the ratings seriously. Read through them all to get a better idea. Some folks complain about simple things that might not bother you. Everyone is different.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

You also stated you hate moving days. Many times those are our best days. We get excited to explore someplace new and eagerly look forward to it. You can get in a rut if you don't move. Another thing, when you're a traveling RVer, don't think you have to set up everything every time you move. Keep it simple. Don't keep clutter on your countertops. Don't get out all the knickknacks. Same goes for outside. We usually got out the patio rug, two chairs and the grill. That's it. No light-stringing; no cutesy decorations. When you keep it simple you can pack up and get on the road within 1/2 hour. Really!! When you move as many times as a full-timer does, you get your system down and it takes no time.

Good luck with your knee replacement. We've had our share of replacements so just know that you'll feel so much better in a month or two!!!

Also, it's too early to go to Yellowstone!! Find a warmer spot until May/June at least.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
...when you're a traveling RVer, don't think you have to set up everything every time you move. Keep it simple. Don't keep clutter on your countertops. Don't get out all the knickknacks. Same goes for outside. We usually got out the patio rug, two chairs and the grill. That's it. No light-stringing; no cutesy decorations. When you keep it simple you can pack up and get on the road within 1/2 hour. Really!! When you move as many times as a full-timer does, you get your system down and it takes no time.
Great advice! When we're just doing an "overnight" - it's common that the only thing we pull out of the basement is our "landing" (a small 18"x24" frame made out of 2x4's and a piece of OSB board and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet that makes the "last step" from the coach steps to the ground itself a little more comfortable for my DW). Everything else stays put. Heck, depending on our shower plans and fresh water/holding tank status - and plans for the next night's stay - we may not bother with water and/or sewer connections.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

We are also recent full timers, and this is our first year doing it. We have been "most-timers" for the past year and a half, but moved out of our house in August, and closed on the sale of it 2 weeks ago. So, our current plans are to stay in COE parks around the region where we lived, and the kids and grandkids live until Christmas is over, then move down to Florida for the winter. We have already made our reservations for that. Then, in the spring we have an owners club rally in the Carolinas, and after that, nothing at all planned. We have a general desire to start roving north and west, but nothing set in stone. It's kind of scary for me with my bean counter background, as I like to have plans thoroughly worked out and contingencies planned for. But, we are going to be playing it by ear for a while, and see how it works out.

Tags
full time