Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #15

Like I said , I have headers on it now , they did help some .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #16

I learned a long time ago that beyond some easy changes the cost of increasing power goes up significantly faster than the power increase. That seems to tell me that running with stock is as good as dumping in a lot of money on upgrades. I just putter along as fast as I feel safe and let folks by when the road allows. It's cheaper to change my attitude than to change my vehicle to something significantly faster. All of them eventually get to the top of the mountain.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I learned a long time ago that beyond some easy changes the cost of increasing power goes up significantly faster than the power increase. That seems to tell me that running with stock is as good as dumping in a lot of money on upgrades. I just putter along as fast as I feel safe and let folks by when the road allows. It's cheaper to change my attitude than to change my vehicle to something significantly faster. All of them eventually get to the top of the mountain.

Your right . I learned this a long time ago racing . It's pretty cheap to make a 15 sec car go 13s. It gets expensive going from 13s to 12s & so on
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Great attitude. If everyone did this we would have a lot safer roadways.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't worry much about power for the mountains, after all, how much time overall are you going to spend in the mountains? Do what you can to reduce weight, drive sensibly, let others pass where able to, enjoy the ride. Before we started towing a car we used to pass slower vehicles pretty much wherever we encountered them, now we slow down, stay in the slow lane, enjoy the scenery, a cup of coffee, and a snack while going as fast as our conditions allow. We hope to go full time after retiring in 2 years ( oh yes, I'm counting down daily ) and we will look at a different motorhomes after starting our travels. And we dream of a diesel, but I am also concerned about cost of maintaining a diesel vs a gasser. There are some really nice gassers out there and most of the time our motorhome will be parked someplace, so all options are going to be considered ( including keeping and remodeling our current motorhome ) for our probably last motorhome.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #20

We passed a mid 30 foot gasser going up a 10% grade over the weekend. He had to have been turning 5000 RPM and doing around 40 MPH. We pulled the grade at 1800 RPM at 60 MPH.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
We passed a mid 30 foot gasser going up a 10% grade over the weekend. He had to have been turning 5000 RPM and doing around 40 MPH. We pulled the grade at 1800 RPM at 60 MPH.

I don't doubt you , but as som one already said , how often well we be driving in the mountains ? For us , not to often
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For us on the west coast it's a very common thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #23

Quote:
The point is that you both got over the mountain. He had a lot less invested in doing it, you got a nicer ride. Kind of like life in general.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #24

Quote:

Pulling a 5 mile long grade:

@ 60 MPH = about 5 minutes

@ 40 MPH = about 7.5 minutes

To OP: How much money are you willing/able to spend to save 2.5 minutes per climb? To me, being retired and on on fixed income, it is worth $0. I save way more time and money by being organized and having a good route plan.

A high end DP with 650 HP would be my choice if money was not an issue. Until I hit the Lotto I'll have to settle for 362 HP. Sure would like the improved ride on a DP.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #25

Our coach is a 2005 on the Workhorse W24 chassis. We have looked as well and come to the conclusion that we are not finding a floor plan that corrects those things we dislike about our current coach while keeping the features we like. I would make a list of the features you are seeking in a replacement coach and then look for a floor plan that satisfies your requirements. Then I would look at the chassis and power plant.

Right now, we are doing some upgrades to our coach because to date the only coaches that satisfy our wants are more than I want to spend.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #26

Quote:
The point is that you both got over the mountain. He had a lot less invested in doing it, you got a nicer ride. Kind of like life in general.
Not if he blows the motor in the process. The only way to get the torque out of a gas engine is to wind it up, and torque is what gets these motor homes down the road. That sort of thing is hard on an engine.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
For about 6500 bucks plus labor you can get a 496 crate motor with 550 hp and 500 lbft with a 2 yr warrantee. All your engine accessories will fit
billgallivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #28

Quote:
I've had the C7 Cat engine in a 40' Phaeton and there is no way it would climb a 10% grade of any length at 60 mph. My 450 ISL Cummins won't do it either. If the grade was less than a mile long and I had a run at it, maybe. There's a big difference between a long 6-7% grade on an interstate and a 10% on a curvy mountain road. Must be a pretty good C7 in your Revolution.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer