Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2023, 07:49 AM   #1

Full timing in a DP?

After reading all the posts in a thread titled "Do you REALLY want a diesel pusher?" it made me do a lot of thinking whether or not a DP is a good idea for the DW and I.

A little background first. We have owned a number of RV's over the years, been boaters for 20+ years cruising BC waters, decided after the border closure to sell the boat and bought a FW trailer and left home last July cruising across the US visiting kids, grandkids and friends. Started boondocking and loved every minute of it, staying on beaches in TX, the desert in AZ and CA with a rare stop at a camp ground. Realized the FW was not ideal for us. We needed a more economical way of getting around when boondocking. Owning an AWD 2016 Ford Edge (sitting in garage at home) we knew we could flat tow it and decided we wanted to move to a motorhome. Plan on selling the TV and FW when we get home in a few weeks and find a MH that fits our needs. First thought of a gasser but soon realized it would not be ideal for us do to needing more room/power/brakes then they provided. We estimate about 12k miles a year and after lots of suggestions from the many replies in another thread I started have found many DP in the 2004-2006 years that fit our needs well and very affordable too. What say everyone, is a DP a good full timing way to go? Don't expect to stay in one place more then 2-3 weeks at a time. This past 6 months we traveled 9k miles towing and a total of 13k miles on the TV.
JointVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2023, 07:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointVenture View Post
After reading all the posts in a thread titled "Do you REALLY want a diesel pusher?" it made me do a lot of thinking whether or not a DP is a good idea for the DW and I.

A little background first. We have owned a number of RV's over the years, been boaters for 20+ years cruising BC waters, decided after the border closure to sell the boat and bought a FW trailer and left home last July cruising across the US visiting kids, grandkids and friends. Started boondocking and loved every minute of it, staying on beaches in TX, the desert in AZ and CA with a rare stop at a camp ground. Realized the FW was not ideal for us. We needed a more economical way of getting around when boondocking. Owning an AWD 2016 Ford Edge (sitting in garage at home) we knew we could flat tow it and decided we wanted to move to a motorhome. Plan on selling the TV and FW when we get home in a few weeks and find a MH that fits our needs. First thought of a gasser but soon realized it would not be ideal for us do to needing more room/power/brakes then they provided. We estimate about 12k miles a year and after lots of suggestions from the many replies in another thread I started have found many DP in the 2004-2006 years that fit our needs well and very affordable too. What say everyone, is a DP a good full timing way to go? Don't expect to stay in one place more then 2-3 weeks at a time. This past 6 months we traveled 9k miles towing and a total of 13k miles on the TV.
There are literally thousands of posts covering this exact topic and question. If you do a search, you'll have reading materials for months.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #3

As was brought up many times in that other thread your ability to do maintenance and repairs yourself is a large plus.
Pre emissions is definitely the way to go.
You will especially appreciate traveling this way. DP’s typically provide a more stress free drive.

Nothing beats having access to a refrigerator and bathroom while chewing up miles going down the road.

When you shop for a MH keep in mind that being able to access everything with the slides in is also a plus.

Sure you will have more floorplan options with a fifth wheel but we believe the traveling benefits far outweigh any parked benefits a camper trailer might have.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you've had quite the journey and have been exploring different options for your RV lifestyle. Considering your extensive experience in RVing and boating, I'm sure you're well aware of the pros and cons of different types of RVs.

Based on what you've shared, a diesel pusher could be a good fit for your needs. Diesel pushers are known for their power and durability, which can be especially important for full-timing and traveling long distances. They also tend to have more space and amenities than gas RVs, which can make them more comfortable for extended stays.

However, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. Diesel pushers can be more expensive to purchase and maintain than gas RVs, and they may require more specialized knowledge and maintenance. They can also be more challenging to maneuver and park, especially in tight spaces or urban areas.

That being said, it seems like you've already done your research and have identified some good options in your price range. Ultimately, the right RV for you will depend on your personal preferences, needs, and budget. If you're comfortable with the potential costs and maintenance requirements, and prioritize power and space in your RV, a diesel pusher could be a great choice for full-timing and traveling.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect motorhome for your needs and continuing to enjoy your RV lifestyle!
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Rob_M;6426369]

Nothing beats having access to a refrigerator and bathroom while chewing up miles going down the road.

When you shop for a MH keep in mind that being able to access everything with the slides in is also a plus.

I will wholeheartedly second that. After having pulled a camper for years, nothing beats being able to pull in at a rest stop and most anywhere else in a MH and you’re right at home.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:07 AM   #6

Agree with all the pluses but "economical" and DP ? I guess it's a matter of perspective. I always figure about a buck a mile. As mentioned to me biggest plus is push a few buttons and your castle is set up, get up in the morning shower and hit the road.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #7

Tough call to make for someone else.

We never owned any kind of trailer or RV, we tent camped. We rented a 30'class C a few times then decided to buy a 2007 Class A DP with the intention of using it about 6 weeks a year. Well after 151 nights in it the first year and about $30,000 in engine, tires, and maintenance we are full timing for the next few years and loving it. It worked well for dry camping and we can easily get by without dumping for 14-18 days (two adults.) we have also been to dozens of state park campgrounds and a few private campgrounds outside of National Parks. We did get stuck in deep gravel trying to back in to one campsite with a curb type drop off but quickly dug ourselves out. Boon docking though? I don't think it would be the best choice. With the limited ground clearance and long wheel base It would be too much of a compromise for me. Of course only you know what type of place you like to go and how far off the road you might venture. Good luck with your decision. We really like camping with wildlife and enjoy our privacy we just don't get too far from the main roads.

I would absolutely buy another used DP as opposed to any other type or age rig.

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:23 PM   #8

Lots of good feedback and really appreciate all the replies. Being a retired Industrial Control Electrician and having a EE degree helps me resolve electrical issues quickly and having excellent mechanical skills and abilities will go a long way to maintaining a DP BUT diesel engine knowledge is where I feel very inadequate. Gas engines, especially V10's is a strong suite for me and I will be studying the diesel engine in our chosen DP with a strong desire to maintain it as good as I can. I believe in being proactive regarding maintenance rather then reactive. That is something I learned in being a twin engine power boat owner for over 20 years. We have cruised the BC waters extensively as well as the Inside Passage. Learned to be prepared for whatever is thrown at you and will go into being a DP owner in the same thought pattern. Thank you for so much to think about over the coming months. Our plan is to be home by the 1st of March and be leaving again by Aug 1st. Lots to do, learn and prepare for.
JointVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:46 PM   #9

Personally I would not take my DP on a beach due to the weight, but others here who have done that might say otherwise. Low clearance...it wouldn't take much to bury one. But then again, on the beaches around Corpus Christi I saw the big heavy garbage trucks on the beach and they weren't sinking in much at all. Many older models were definitely lighter than late models.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:57 PM   #10

There is a couple who full-timed for 5 years in a 2005 Newmar DP and have it for sale now in the classifieds for a great price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:37 PM   #11

"What say everyone, is a DP a good full timing way to go?"

That's exactly what we have been doing since July 2020. Longest time we've stayed in one place was 2 months last summer, and a couple one month stays, but mostly camp and scoot. Been to 28 states. More camping with utilities with some boondocking, but this winter we did quite a bit more boondocking. We love it too. So peaceful and quiet. It's wonderful.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
We fulltime in a Foretravel U-320 40 footer single slide [living room, so the bed is always made up for use] When the wife needs to hit the potty, I ask her to grab an RC Cola and a Moon Pie on her way back up front..
Another thing that is nice..say the weather is less than nice..You can pull into a rest area or even a large pull off.. hit the brakes, fire off the generator [if it isn't already running] punch 2 buttons and You are level, as You have the crock pot going with a roast in the sink [inverter] fix a tall one, while wife gathers the rest of the fix'ns for supper, push a button or two for the satellite dish and enjoy the evening..[ie. you do not have to exit the DP to set up for the night ..].A wide spot in Nevada next Morning after the Storm..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201116_200709842.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	386635   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201116_182422474.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	538.9 KB
ID:	386636  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Personally I would not take my DP on a beach due to the weight, but others here who have done that might say otherwise. Low clearance...it wouldn't take much to bury one. But then again, on the beaches around Corpus Christi I saw the big heavy garbage trucks on the beach and they weren't sinking in much at all. Many older models were definitely lighter than late models.

We have boondocked on the beach in Port Aransas many times because the city keeps the sand groomed really well. I recommend testing the sand with the towed first as the firmness can vary greatly depending on recent weather and beach traffic. Rutted up sand can be a nightmare for anything but a 4wd.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:17 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We fulltime in a Foretravel U-320 40 footer single slide [living room, so the bed is always made up for use] When the wife needs to hit the potty, I ask her to grab an RC Cola and a Moon Pie on her way back up front..
Another thing that is nice..say the weather is less than nice..You can pull into a rest area or even a large pull off.. hit the brakes, fire off the generator [if it isn't already running] punch 2 buttons and You are level, as You have the crock pot going with a roast in the sink [inverter] fix a tall one, while wife gathers the rest of the fix'ns for supper, push a button or two for the satellite dish and enjoy the evening..[ie. you do not have to exit the DP to set up for the night ..].A wide spot in Nevada next Morning after the Storm..
Agreed but............. in addition to all those things, you could add 3000W of solar, and 1000Ah of Lithium batteries and never have to start the generator again.......... not to mention not having to look for electricity when parking overnight
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
timing