Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Hello all

Have been looking at coaches (gas) with full wall slides (fws) .....and ventured into a forum of several years back.
Most were of the opinion that the technology is being perfected to the point that worries are not priorities. Some were fearful of pending doom.

Based on age of coaches, I'd love to hear real world examples of trouble-free, occasional hiccups, steady problems, or massive failures.
More weight - check. More room - check. More problems ?

My interest is in a 2007 Rexhall Rexair. What have others found and what are your thoughts on issues and joys with FWSs?

Happy 4th, BTW, to southern cousins.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

I have a 43' 10" Monaco Camelot 2011. wow more room great product! Put your mind at rest. Those that do not have them only wonder and nay say. My Monaco full wall works well, and is the best of the best in it's class. Bought it new, 23K slide with full wall , has kitchen, residential refer, separate washer dryer on full wall side. Just take care of like you would all moving parts. Our fourth MH and The best ever. DW.
dennywagaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Now someone will correct me i'm sure, but i do think that Rexhall wrote the book on slides, slides have been around for over 20 years now and other than lack of proper care, they would and will last a long time. The day we were doing our PDI on our used MH, the bedroom slide took a crap, thank god for exstended warrantys, had to replace the slidemotor and of course, they didn't make it anymore, but, the fackory sent a new and inproved one that works great! Our Next MH will have a full wall slide, i think they look great.. Our unit that we have now has three slides, bed, galley, lounge. Bite the bullet and Enjoy it!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
The Rexhall is a well designed quality RV. Our 2003 has two part wall slides. They share a hydraulic system with the four leveling jacks. I would suggest that you carry a spare hydraulic solenoid, and a variety of sizes of spare fuses. (Don't ask me how I know )
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

I like our full 29ft long slide makes a lot more room.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
41' Monaco Knight DFT with the Panaview full length road-side slide. Love the space, but always get the heebie-jeebies when we are moving it in or out. That is a big chunk of real estate that has to stress all connection points. Works great, but expecting the day that it doesn't! Results in my anal-retentive side taking over when it comes to maintenance - keeping the drive gear clean, lubrication, inspection. All that said, wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I was buying new , I wouldn't give it a second thought , If the MH was from a major manufacturer . That having been said , there has been no issues with the full wall
slide on the 08 Bounder , although as 1skier said " that's a big chunk of real estate".
I do keep lighter things in the basement and overhead cabinets on the full wall side to ease the strain
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

If I was considering that level of investment, a full wall slide would be a must have. The tremendous added living space far outweighs the concerns about the mechanicals.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So far, 15 months and 14,000 miles my 26' wall slide has worked well. However I have gathered the tools and parts to repair the actuation gear just in case something goes wrong.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are very happy with our full wall slide. No problems and the extra room is amazing. Its a must have for us.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

One would hope the Engineers did their homework when designing full wall slides. But leave it up to us RV'ers to test things past their limits !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FWS here and no issues to report. I have over 65000 miles on the coach, and so far the one item that has worked without a hitch is the FWS. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Now I hope you didn't make me jinx myself! One last bit of anecdotal evidence is that I have talked to several of the factory mechanics, and they all tell me that they have very few issues with FWS's.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #13

Ours is a mechanical one (not hyd) and working without failure. All I've done is to lube the seals occasionally.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #14

FWS can be a blessing or a curse. I dont have one but know of several that have had much time at the dealer and later at the factory, some without satisfaction after that. Some were early failures, some after many miles.

Some have no problems at all. Some have weight distribution/handling issues.

The troublesome ones seem to have the kitchen, refer, W/D, etc...lots of weight, had the most problems. I wont point to specific makes or models, but would advise doing thorough research of blogs before buying one.

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote