Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
18,000 miles in 2 month will be a driving holiday - not a sightseeing holiday. Why the great rush? I think this could be a mistake? Not my business, I know, but my experience tells me that you will be missing out, and at the same time burn around $4,000 worth of fuel EACH month . In 1990 I did 20,000 miles in 6 month and that was an awful lot of driving.

My first priority would be conditions of tires and tire pressure. Tire failure is not for the faint hearted, and I believe that maintaining the correct tire pressure is a major factor in avoiding tire failure.

Secondly - if you do decide to do 18,000 miles in 2 month, I would suggest that you bring a grease gun and some suitable grease, so you can lubricate the zerks on your chassis. It is also very important that you lubricate the drive shaft zerks - I think the recommended interval is every 3,000 miles on our Monaco Diplomat. REMEMBER - DON'T GO UNDERNEATH YOUR RV WHEN SUPPORTED BY THE JACKS ONLY.

Don't forget to have fun during your long journey.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
18,000 miles in 2 month will be a driving holiday - not a sightseeing holiday. Why the great rush? I think this could be a mistake? Not my business, I know, but my experience tells me that you will be missing out, and at the same time burn around $4,000 worth of fuel EACH month
Thanks for the tips Danes!

It's not a pleasure journey unfortunately. It's work work work. The shows are already booked and we need to be at each one on time. We've spent most of the last 3 years doing that kind of mileage in a Ford cargo van at about the same mpg, so this should be a LOT more enjoyable. And we have a reliable crew doing a lot of the hard work.

In fact this time last year we did a 6 week tour and it was $10k in gas! Eek is right!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Do the smell test before you put the nozzle in the fill to the tank, no matter what the color..........
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

The advice to double check to make sure you have the right pump is good.

The suggestion it's the GREEN ONE not so much.
Check the nozzles at a BP station,.. they are all Green, Both Gas and Diesel all green, they are trying to convince us they are a "Green" company .
Found out that green wasn't diesel after messing around with lines and other drivers, (giving me the look) only to find out it wasn't diesel!
Other drivers gave me the one finger wave when I just drove off and didn't get fuel!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufussSewell View Post
I'll definitely be taking it in for a service before we leave.

We're a 2 piece rock band called One-Eyed Doll.

This is our latest video: Committed by One-Eyed Doll OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube
Video, music and make up is very well done.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The advice to double check to make sure you have the right pump is good.
The suggestion it's the GREEN ONE not so much.
Many, (most?), diesel pump nozzles are GREEN, but NOT ALL!
(I've seen some YELLOW, and some BLUE).
The way to be sure that you will be pumping diesel is to look for the word DIESEL on the pump.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
And then you'll find that that doesn't work at some stations! It's NOT a universal or standard that the diesel pump cover be green.
Well I stand corrected for sure. I always seem to be in the truck lanes and don't recall seeing anything but green. Seeing lots of diesel pumps that have the DEF selection in the menu - which I and the band OP don't need. That's a good thing to watch for as well. And then there's the "reefer or or cab ?". Don't recall the other option but it's the same fuel. Also - maybe I'm just lucky - but the diesel handle always seems to be dirty, usually wet with and smelling like diesel.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Since we are all talking about diesel or gas pumps here are some apps for you to maybe get:
My DAT Trucker Services - Trucker Apps: My DAT Trucker Services | CDLLife it has links for both android and apple
Love's
Pilot/Flying J
GasBuddy

We go to all 4 for diesel and/or gas prices while traveling. The first one also gives other info. They were all free for the android's that we have.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:
I'm about to leave on a 2 month tour of the U.S. with my band in our (new to us) 1997 Beaver Patriot. The tour will be approx. 18,000 miles.
Thanks!!!
WOW! That is the equivalent of 6 trips across the continental US.

IMO, you need a better booking agent . Even with a full-time driver, that is a LOT of seat time for your group.

Must be nice to be young.

Safe travels,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Be sure to check the handle on the pump at the "gas stop" - you want the green one - for diesel for starters.
Might I suggest a trip to the store to replenish the fridge with "beverages" for stops along the way and maybe a couple of bags of chips? Then when the green handle goes click you're on your way with no worries.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

WOW! That is the equivalent of 6 trips across the continental US.

IMO, you need a better booking agent . Even with a full-time driver, that is a LOT of seat time for your group.

Must be nice to be young.

Safe travels,
Ed
Unfortunately we live in California and the tour starts and ends on the east coast, so 6,000 of that is just getting there and back. That's why we bought instead of rented on this one. The rental companies charge by the mile on top of their daily fee. It would have cost have what we paid for a nice Class A DP just to rent for two months.

We're really happy with what we ended up with though. It already feels like home!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #26

Just to give you some insight, we're direct support (the band that plays just before the headliner) for a bigger band called Mushroomhead. They pack the 400-1000 seaters. So when we're invited to join them, we do what it takes to keep up! They have several trucks for their gear and lots of roadies and drivers.

It can be a tough life, but we feel like being able to travel in something like this is a big step up! Three years in a Ford Econoline doing 8 hours of driving a night can be bad for the soul.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #27

Quote:
I'll definitely be taking it in for a service before we leave.

We're a 2 piece rock band called One-Eyed Doll.

This is our latest video: Committed by One-Eyed Doll OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube

Have a great tour and thanks for introducing me to your music. I loved the "You're a Vampire" video. Heck, all of your stuff is fun and soooo... bizarre! The doll wears great constumes, too. Cheers!
rockethead26 is offline   Reply With Quote