Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Fulltimers and repairs

This is something I've wondered about.

If you just happen to live in your MH, where do you go when it has to go in for service ? Hotel ?

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
In 7 years full timing we stayed with family members twice when the rig was in repair. Many other times we stayed in it at night on service place property and they worked on it during the day.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
This is something I've wondered about.

If you just happen to live in your MH, where do you go when it has to go in for service ? Hotel ?

Thanks,

Ken

My wife and I are just finishing our 8th year full time. In that time we have spent 6 nights out of the coach. Three of those nights were during the replacement of our floor covering from carpet to tile. Many repair shops will allow dry camping in their lot while repairs are made.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We never had to leave our coach overnight for service. We used mobile RV techs for many things and made arrangements to stay in the rig at the shop if it needed to stay overnight.

IMHO, only BIG problems should require you to leave your rig and move into a hotel, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

I envy you Steve....

You are one lucky man...

PLUS... your post's are always informative, impartial, well balanced and in "real time"...

Thank you for being such a valued contributor to the forum..

Sorry to hi-jack your thread KennyGolub...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There are places that cater to RVers and let you stay in the RV as much as is practical. But it's not always practical, and sometimes it is less hassle to simply move out anyway. We just had some body work done and chose to stay in a suites hotel for a week even though the shop (Mike's RV Collision in Wilmington, NC) was willing to work around us. With sanding and painting going on every day, we figured we and the cat would be much happier away from it all. But most other times we have stayed with the RV, though we still had to get out during the day and come back for overnight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I envy you Steve....

You are one lucky man...

PLUS... your post's are always informative, impartial, well balanced and in "real time"...

Thank you for being such a valued contributor to the forum..

Sorry to hi-jack your thread KennyGolub...

Very kind words, thank you. Yes, I'm lucky and blessed. I'm thankful everyday.

Safe travels to all.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

So far we have been lucky enough to stay in our coach. Even the small shop that rebuilt our alternator in Raleigh this week kept us in our rig and even plugged us in to their electric. Only 20 amp but heck it helped!!
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Any work we have had done (minimal) was at the dealer. Tech picked up the coach in the morning and delivered it in the afternoon. Dealer provided plug ins and emptied tanks and filled tanks as required.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Many Many RV repair places have electrical hook ups and often a place to dump your tanks. I have spent a fair amount of time in repair places parking lots. However we had to have some body work done in eastern Washington and got motel rooms (insurance paid part of the the daily cost) and took in the sights for 7 to 10 days and had to stay with friend once because we were ignorant that we could stay in the bus. Most place will accommodate you if at all possible, and pace the work so that you are able to get back into your coach at night. One place we just ran a 20 amp extension cord into the shop. If it looks like you will be out of your coach for awhile and you have some planning time look for cheap fairs/package deals to some where you can't drive to.
Don't worry you'll figure it out. Remember you probably still have a toad to get around in. I've had bigger problems when the toad goes down. That's a major pain in the butt.
Happy Trails
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
How about taking a cruise while the unit is in for work?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

Our MH was in the shop for 2 weeks getting body work done. We found a campground near by that had rental units it was much cheaper than a motel. We could have stayed in the MH each night using there hook ups but what do you do all day while they are working on it for 2 weeks?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

We were out of the MH for one week earlier this year. It was supposed to be for only one night, but the Cummins shop kept delivering more bad news every day. With the engine torn apart, they cannot move you outside to the 50A hookups...which are necessary to run the A/Cs, refrigerator and basement freezer. We spent our evenings in a motel and our days in the waiting room. Had to throw most of our food out. A $4,000 repair bill was just icing on the cake. When the exhaust pipe fell off on the way to Albuquerque...I knew it was just more of the same. Hey...bad stuff happens, at least to some of us. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. You just have to learn to deal with it.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #14

We have stayed in hotels, but our favorite was a cruise. Last minute cruises are cheap AND include food
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime, repair, repairs