Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #1

Fuses?

Irate week in the RV alone with my pups. It seems certain outlets aren't working and they were yesterday. Is there a fuse panel? Would anyone know where it is located?
50fitnfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

Year, make, model? 12v or 120v?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Year, make, model? 12v or 120v?
MHs are very different, so Argosy is correct that for a good answer we need to know year, make, model. There may be multiple fuse and/or circuit breaker panels. In addition, if you have an inverter, it is quite likely there are breakers on the inverter that could cause you to lose power in part of your coach.
Bfmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I will guess that you are talking 120VAC as you said outlets.
Next guess would be no fuses only circuit breakers.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
paz

If some 120V outlets work and others don't, my second suspicion after a tripped breaker would be a tripped GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter). It is common to daisy-chain several other outlets from one GFCI outlet. GFCI outlets are commonly located in the bathroom, kitchen area and outside.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Look through these links they will cover 12v and 120 circuits in your RV, if you use a hair drier in a inverter outlet you may have popped a GFI outlet and it needs to be reset or tripped circuit breaker in load center for 120 outlets.
In my signature below are three links that will supply you for what ever coach you have.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

30' itasca sunova.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club

As a newcomer to irv2 please give us more information about your coach. If you post your coach year, make and model in your signature and allow it to be seen we will always have a good place to start from when answering your questions.

Someplace in your coach is a service panel with circuit breakers. Also you have GFCI outlets like in your bathroom in your house. If a circuit breaker is tripped or a GFCI is tripped all of the devices connected to it will not work.

At this time this is the best I can do for you. I hope this helps. Please let us know if you find the problem.

Thanks and happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Had same problem last week. Check the inverter, usually has 2 circuits and one needs to be reset
joecpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #10

Thank you! Found the box and was able to determined, I tripped the circuit. Thanks so much!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Your welcome from all of us.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #12

A neighbor looked at them and said, they look good. I don't understand the daisy chain. I am going to go thru the rv this weekend and seeing exactly all the plugs not working.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be aware that in addition to the circuit breaker you found your RV also has a GFCI. This is often (But not always) in the bathroom, it also powers outlets in the kitchen and on the patio and in my RV the one over the dinette table.. Basically anywhere you might find water.

Some RV's have multiple GFCI's some well hidden.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fitnfab View Post
A neighbor looked at them and said, they look good. I don't understand the daisy chain. I am going to go thru the rv this weekend and seeing exactly all the plugs not working.
Hopefully I can explain daisy chain to you. There are several ways to hook up 115vac receptacles. One way is to run a wire for each receptacle back to the circuit breaker box. This gets expensive in terms of wire and gives you a lot more wiring. The other way in NON GFI receptacles is to run a wire from the circuit breaker to a receptacle. Then you take and run a wire from that receptacle (hooking black to black and white to white) this wire is hooked to another receptacle then run a wire from that receptacle to another receptacle. This is called daisy chain. When you hook up GFI receptacles the same principle is used run a wire from the circuit breaker to the GFI receptacle then another wire from the GFI receptacle to a non GFI then another wire from the non GFI to another etc. This is still daisy chained. The difference is in the conections at the GFI receptacle. A GFI receptacle basically monitors current if the current level changes between the black and the white wire the GFI trips shutting off power to the receptacle. When The GFI receptacle trips it also shuts off power to all the NON GFI receptacles that are wired after it. In a motor home you might have three GFI receptacles with several non GFI receptacles wired to them. When one GFI receptacle trips the power for all receptacles hooked to it is shut off.

IF you want to do some work for future troubleshooting. Get a cheap AC test plug at Walmart, Lowes, home depot etc. Make sure you have 115vac to the coach and plug it into every receptacle in your coach. When you have verified all of your receptacles work push the test button on one of the GFI receptacles. Take your AC tester and plug into all of the AC receptacles Note which ones are not working. Make a record of which ones are not working along with which GFI receptacle you pushed the test button on. Push the reset button on the GFI and then check the receptacles that were not working to make sure they are working now. Go to a differnet GFI receptacle and push the test button on it. Repeat what you did with the first GFI. Do this to all the GFI receptacles until you have them all tested. Take this information and put with your coach important papers. The next time you have a failure in a receptacle you can go right to the appropriate GFI receptacle to reset it

GFI receptacles have to have 115vac power applied to reset. If the GFI does not have power when you check it and you can not reset it then check the circuit breaker. A hint would be to check all of the circuit breakers to see what they power also while everything is working.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote