Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #57

I would suggest a mini split, best performance. I am a building inspector and foam insulation and mini split will serve you well. Just a FYI you can't add a register from house, has to be a separate system.
Dennis
2019 34H5 Georgetown
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #58

Radiant heat punches right through insulation. Don't forget to install aluminum reflecting under shingles.
hitchman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
AZ Garage

Had my garage for about 5 years. North Peoria, West facing doors. Kept a 39' toy hauler in it for several years. I concur, sun is the biggest factor. I installed a ventilator fan in the upper east corner and a louvered vent in the lower south corner. I have a differential thermostat so if it is cooler outside than in, it turns on the fan. It gets hot in there even then. Only real issue is traps dry out. I only have 30 amp service, but I can run two out of three of my Coach AC's and I can get it cooled down before a trip. I also ran water to a hose real mounted inside. I also have a macerator system on coach and can pump slightly up hill about 100+ feet to my septic. My house was built for 4 people, there is only two of us. When we are gone, no water use so when we get back the septic has capacity for the minuscule 130 gal of combined gray and black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7536.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	291001  
rsteinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWKDW10 View Post
I also live in Phoenix and have for over 50 years. It does get hot!!. I have been looking into parking my unit with National Indoor RV Center in Surprise. Have not compared the cost of their storage to building and maintaining my own storage unit.
NIRVC is a good place to store your rig and the valet service is nice. The hassle of driving an hour to pick up the rig is a pain for me. I also want the coach in my own garage so if I do want to work on it then all I have to do is walk into the garage. NIRVC installed my AF1 and Blue Ox tow system and did a good job. Storage is $10 a foot.
Michael Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #61

My 2 cents...

I’d use a mini split over swamp cooler...

Getting insulated doors and well insulated walls and attic is a big factor...

If you are thinking of doing solar, look into solar roof from Tesla today and maybe do it now. Might cost less than doing solar panels after your roof is done. And the roof system looks pretty Dang nice and probably will produce as much or more than panels depending on how many panels you’d be able to install.

I’d also recommend celing fans. Since you’ll have double garage doors opening them and turning on a couple big celing fans might be enough on some hot but not to hot days and any days where you might be working in the garage when it’s not so hot you’d need the ac. And by comparisons a big fan or two aren’t that expensive.

If it’s an actual attic about, I’d spray the rafters with insulation and blow in on the celing joists. This helps a lot especially if you put in an attic fan or two.
inkahauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #62

Under cover rv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Insulating the garage door is impossible if it’s a roll up. I made the pivoting door below out of 2X6s so it’s well insulated. Pivots on 2” pipe nipples and floor flanges... moves easily.
Nice docking arrangement Dick, is that part of the residence foundation or detached?

Pole barns are competitive alternatives to stick or block and allow for nice volume that can be used creatively. I favor rigid Poly-iso 3” with mat coating 4’x8’. Put a fire rated gypsum board over top, it leaves a air space between siding as well as a nice chase for mechanical’s.

After having so many rv’s parked out for years and despairing over weathering I made myself a promise that before I purchased the next rv I would initiate the barn first with specific dimensional specs. As expected the finished shell reflected maybe 35% of the current coach value intrinsically but nothing compared to the significance in preserving the visuals.

I think it is worth the cost
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Steve ^^^^, it’s part of the house and 4’ lower than the main level of the house... the lot sloped to the lake that’s on the left and in front. The house gets wider as it steps back from the lake. The MH bay can be converted into living space by putting in a 4’ high false floor. All switches/outlets are at that level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	486C1B6F-F5B3-481F-9767-98CD88113C37.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	606.8 KB
ID:	291107   Click image for larger version

Name:	522DD700-E0B2-4A7A-A697-FD866A8F3C6E.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	600.9 KB
ID:	291112  

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Insulating the garage door is impossible if it’s a roll up. I made the pivoting door below out of 2X6s so it’s well insulated. Pivots on 2” pipe nipples and floor flanges... moves easily.
Neat idea! BUT!!! We live in the Great White North and have the opposite problem. Well insulated roll up doors are quite available. Our garage is 20 x 44 x 17 (at peak with sissor trusses). Door is 14x14'2 R14 energy star rated. Can add a kit to it and bring it up to r21. We heat it with a 80000 btu hanging furnace. We keep it at 40 all of the time with a ceiling fan at both ends, then crank it up to 70 when ever I'm working in there. Hot or cold insulation and proper ventilation is your friend.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The roll up door I was referring to are those metal ones that roll up into a drum above the door that takes up 2’ of the door opening size and has to be straight across. Yes some R can be added to them, but not much as the diameter of the drum has to increase taking up even more of the opening.

Yes, a garage door that’s rectangular sections hinged together and “rolls???” up parallel with the floor can have a good R valve but here again the opening has to be straight across which would have decreased my height to only 12’.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, storage