Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas 2.29, Diesel 3.39 in OKC

I get 8.0 mpg on my Ford V10, to get a break even on diesel fuel at a very recent trip I would have to get almost 12. Diesel was 47% more expensive.
Throw in the extra $30-50k more for a diesel rig, 50-100% more for parts and maintenance, the noise, smell and weight, considering no one will wear out a either type engine, I'm sure diesels are worth it.
So OK I get there 15 min. later.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

It all comes down to the " size does matter " thing, at a certain size/weight of coach, trying to move it with a gas engine and the transmissions available with them, just isn't feasible .
So when the DW finds the floor plan she can't live without, and it's only in a DP coach, you open your wallet and pay for the fuel.
If you know what's good for you.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
It all comes down to the " size does matter " thing, at a certain size/weight of coach, trying to move it with a gas engine and the transmissions available with them, just isn't feasible .
So when the DW finds the floor plan she can't live without, and it's only in a DP coach, you open your wallet and pay for the fuel.
If you know what's good for you.
。 each stands in its own class.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The news said gas in Oklahoma somewhere was 1.99 a gallon
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Red face

I was in the same boat back in 2009 when we bought a Tiffin Open Road gas unit. At that time I just couldn't get my mind around the extra buy-in cost for the diesel not to mention the extra cost for diesel fuel compared to gas. We tow a Honda FIT which weighs about 2500 pounds. We just purchased a Winnie Forza 34T in Nov, 2013 because I couldn't stand the rattling and banging of the Tiffin on our sorry roadways. There is just no comparison to the quiet ride of a Freightliner chassis compared to the Workhorse. Also with the extra power and torque of the diesel engine, you can just turn on the computer and let it drive the coach. The added benefit of the diesel in the rear makes the passenger compartment sooooo much quieter. Personally, I'd never go back to gas and I'd also be the first to admit you can't justify the extra expense on a purely economic basis. The diesel units are head and shoulders (IMHO) better than gas, i.e., ride quality, comfort, quiet, etc. I'm nearly 70 and we can routinely put in 9 -12 hour days in the new rig without problem. The gas coach just beat us to death, and it was either get out of it into a diesel, or stop RVing (direct quote from the wife).

Sorry for this long reply.............and regards to all who may read it.
Fred
baddog3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

The important question is why there is such a large gap between gas and diesel? Different tax rates between the two does not explain the differences.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
The important question is why there is such a large gap between gas and diesel? Different tax rates between the two does not explain the differences.

I believe that some of the difference is politics on the part of the big oil companies. They get lots of push back as the price of gasoline goes up. In the US, the vast majority of diesel purchased is for commercial vehicles. This pushes the greater cost of diesel to be hidden in the price of goods and services and not directly out of the picket of consumers. Another driver is the greater cost to refine ULSD.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

Greater demand worldwide for diesel.

Takes more crude to make diesel plus in the US the Fed tax is higher, much higher on diesel.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog3g View Post
There is just no comparison to the quiet ride of a Freightliner chassis compared to the Workhorse. Also with the extra power and torque of the diesel engine, you can just turn on the computer and let it drive the coach. The added benefit of the diesel in the rear makes the passenger compartment sooooo much quieter. Personally, I'd never go back to gas and I'd also be the first to admit you can't justify the extra expense on a purely economic basis. The diesel units are head and shoulders (IMHO) better than gas, i.e., ride quality, comfort, quiet, etc. I'm nearly 70 and we can routinely put in 9 -12 hour days in the new rig without problem.
Fred
Fred, I couldn't agree more. I drove my cousins gas winnebago and was pushed all over the road by big trucks. That was all I need to be convinced that a big bus was better. we now pull a 24 foot box trailer with the caddi and a harley all day long at 70 mph. DW drives four hours mid day and I drive 4 in the am and 3 in the pm. I is strong, smooth, very quiet. my fuel cost are generally about the same a running high test in a big gasser. Diesel is now about $3.00 a gallon, if you look around. Just don't buy it at the big rig truck stops. We find up to a 45 cent disparity between them and local options. when we fill up it must be the cheapest in 100 miles.

WE use mapquest fuel finder and generally only fill once from florida to NJ. try that with a gasser.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
We had a Sightseer gasser which is a nice coach. But the Freightliner diesel makes the drive as enjoyable as when we get there.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Foley, AL, about 10 miles north of Gulf Shores. Regular is $.2.57 and Diesel is...are you ready??? $2.99 cash (at Dodges, hwy 59). Happy feet all around!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Guess I am just glad I don't live in ok.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

With a pusher, I hear every word DW says😄
jrobnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #14

If you remember not long ago diesel was cheaper than regular gas. Government regulations (Ultra low sulfer diesel) required refineries to spend millions to comply. I will continue to pay the extra cost of diesel for the reasons noted above.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas