Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Gas - Class A ???

I need some help folks. We had a 40 ft diesel pusher and downsized to a 32ft 5th wheel, which was totaled in a storm (no one was hurt)

Now we are thinking about a used (2010-2016) 32-34ft Class A, which I am not too familiar with, being it will probably be a Ford V10 or the Workhorse 8.1. We will making some longer trips with the grandkids (10 &13 yrs old) Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. And towing a 4 Runner!

One thing I have learned with any vehicle is that regular maintenance and care goes a long way. And you could possibly just get a lemon. ( only happened once in my lifetime).

That being said - I am asking for your help. What is your experience in how these rigs drive? Tow?

TIA and Happy New Year!! 🎆🎊🎈
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

The gasser won't compare favorably to your 40' DP. If you're hoping to make it drive and handle as well, you'll be disappointed.

With that said, though, we put 40,000 miles on 30' Ford V10 gasser and enjoyed it. I did the Cheap Handling Fix on it to reduce the sway and installed a Blue Ox Tiger Trak to settle down the tail wag. After a front end alignment at a competent truck alignment shop it drove and handled well. We ran all over the place in it pulling our RAV4 on a tow dolly (egads! )

Maintenance was easy. Oil and filter changes were no worse than my pickup. I did install a Fumoto valve to drain it because they cleverly put the drain plug directly above the front axle.

We've now downsized and are pulling a small trailer, but if I wanted another class A in that size range I wouldn't hesitate to go with another F53-based class A.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

There’s a lot of Class A gasser motorhome units out there on the road.

However…..

They’ll never handle as nice as your diesel pusher handled…..they just won’t.
You may not even like the way it handles compared to your pickup that towed your 5th wheel.

Diesel pushers and pickup trucks are more like a “real vehicle” as far as driving than a Class A. It’s doable but may be a bit disappointing from your previous RV units.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
I need some help folks. We had a 40 ft diesel pusher and downsized to a 32ft 5th wheel, which was totaled in a storm (no one was hurt)

Now we are thinking about a used (2010-2016) 32-34ft Class A, which I am not too familiar with, being it will probably be a Ford V10 or the Workhorse 8.1. We will making some longer trips with the grandkids (10 &13 yrs old) Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. And towing a 4 Runner!

One thing I have learned with any vehicle is that regular maintenance and care goes a long way. And you could possibly just get a lemon. ( only happened once in my lifetime).

That being said - I am asking for your help. What is your experience in how these rigs drive? Tow?

I just got a 34 foot f53 v10, I tow a small 4 door sedan ( 2013 ford focus on a dolly ). It's not really that bad. If you can get over the gas mileage which is crap, it does an okay job. i've never driven a DP, so I don't have anything to compare mine to other than my ram 2500, they seem to drive about the same in regards to road vibrations and such.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
I just got a 34 foot f53 v10, I tow a small 4 door sedan ( 2013 ford focus on a dolly ). It's not really that bad. If you can get over the gas mileage which is crap, it does an okay job. i've never driven a DP, so I don't have anything to compare mine to other than my ram 2500, they seem to drive about the same in regards to road vibrations and such.
Thank you. I miss my RAM 3500 6.7 CD too. But the wife wants a MH. DP we had averaged around 9.5 miles per gal. So I am used to crappy mpg. More concerned with some comments from others on the front end wandering on the F53. People are increasing air pressure up to 95 psi, moving items towards the front of the rig, and adding suspension stabilizers in the rear to compensate.
Seems like a lot. Lol
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
WDW

Forget the driving, you can tune that with$$$. It’s the challenge of planning fuel stops, especially if you are towing. Gas stations are not designed for 60+ ‘ customer vehicles.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Happy New Year. We went the other way - owned a Canyon Star 3722 on the F53 chassis with the V10. Here’s what I’d say from a handling perspective and towing a Ford Ranger. (Which is slightly lighter than a 4Runner from my googling). Towing capacity was 5,000 pounds.

1) going down steep grades with almost 5,000 pounds pushing me and not having an engine brake was unsettling sometimes. Sure, you can put the transmission in tow mode, gear down before the down grade starts, but it still didn’t feel good. Quite unsettling sometimes - the slower I went down, the better I felt, but it never felt good.

2) going up grades, don’t be in a hurry. Like, at all. We took it to the Bas St. Laurent area of Quebec and out to Alma, New Brunswick (Fundy National Park). We unhitched and my wife drove the vehicle up separately - that created less anxiety than trying to climb those grades attached to the toad.

3) both of the above situations would have been better with a lighter toad, considering the overall GCWR for that chassis isn’t that much when you factor in things like the weight of gasoline and water plus all your stuff.

4) when I picked up the MH from the dealer and drove it home, it was a pretty rough ride. To make it usable for anything more than a few hours a day on the road, I weighed it and lowered the air pressure in the tires, added Sumo springs, safe-t-steer steering stabilizer, SuperSteer Trac Bar, Upgraded the anti-sway bars front and rear. With all of that, I was able to greatly improve the handling of the coach, but not the ride. The ride was still pretty harsh.

If you’re looking used, I’d suggest trying to find a coach that already has the upgrades like the trac bar, upgraded sway bars, etc already done.

We really loved our Canyon Star and the above kinda added to the adventure - we’d still have it if we didn’t luck into a deal on a DP. I do notice a significant difference in the DP ride over the F53.

Good luck in your search for a coach that fits your needs and enjoying time with your grandkids!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you. I miss my RAM 3500 6.7 CD too. But the wife wants a MH. DP we had averaged around 9.5 miles per gal. So I am used to crappy mpg. More concerned with some comments from others on the front end wandering on the F53. People are increasing air pressure up to 95 psi, moving items towards the front of the rig, and adding suspension stabilizers in the rear to compensate.
Seems like a lot. Lol
Ours tended to wander when new, but after the changes I made in the post above I felt it was fine. I'd drive it with one hand lying on the bottom of the wheel or a thumb hanging on the cross bar of the steering wheel. My wife drove it as much as I did and had no complaints. Steering was very light, which was a little disconcerting until I got used to it.

I ran the recommended 82psi.

I did as high as 600 miles a day in it a time or two and didn't find it that challenging at all.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #9

I think the last year for the Workhorse RV chassis was 2008 or 2009
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I think the last year for the Workhorse RV chassis was 2008 or 2009
Yep, the last year for the Workhorse motorhome chassis was 2009. Some 2010 motorhomes were built on the 2009 Workhorse chassis. So that leaves the OP with very few chassis choices if he sticks within his desire of a 2010 to 2016 coach.

I have two Workhorse chassis coaches and love them both. I would buy another because I know just about everything there is to know about them and understand the challenges of getting someone to work on one if the need arises.

That said, if I were to buy a newer motorhome today I would opt for a 2016-2019 F53. The addition of the 6 speed transmission in 2016 along with decades of fine tuning the 6.8L V10 make a very solid combination for a gasoline powered coach. I believe the 2020 and newer F53 with the 7.3L V8 will eventually be a good chassis but so far the teething problems of the new F53 put it a small step behind the '16-'19 F53, IMO. Once Ford works out all the little gremlins that have plaged the new chassis and engine there is no question the 7.3L V8 powered F53 will be a great chassis.......for a gas powered coach.

So if the OP wants to stick with a gasoline powered coach, within the years he describes above, the 2016-2019 F53 is his best choice, IMO.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:31 AM   #11

Loud, hot, expensive, top-heavy, handle like crap, difficult to work on. Otherwise they are great.

Only two rigs I ever really liked were my DP and that 19' airstream I shoulda never sold.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Forget the driving, you can tune that with$$$. It’s the challenge of planning fuel stops, especially if you are towing. Gas stations are not designed for 60+ ‘ customer vehicles.

Fact! But manageable with the internet and planning. Some flying j and Pilot had rv lanes. And Costco is great.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Yep, the last year for the Workhorse motorhome chassis was 2009.

Once Ford works out all the little gremlins that have plaged the new chassis and engine there is no question the 7.3L V8 powered F53 will be a great chassis.......for a gas powered coach.

So if the OP wants to stick with a gasoline powered coach, within the years he describes above, the 2016-2019 F53 is his best choice, IMO.

I think I saw a post once that said the 7.3 engine is not new just new to the F53. For whatever that’s worth.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
Fact! But manageable with the internet and planning. Some flying j and Pilot had rv lanes. And Costco is great.
True. With the 80-gallon tank and near 500-mile range we had little trouble. We used Pilot / Flying J RV lanes when we could. We'd use the app or the downloadable spreadsheet to find them along the way. If there were none we'd use Google overhead views to find accessible stations. Quite often we'd pass a station at the exit for the campground and just top off right then or on the way out the next morning. Leave with a full tank, and we were usually good for the day.

We never missed an opportunity, though. We'd be having lunch and see an easy station and top off even if it'd only take 20 gallons.

Tags
class a, gas