Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #15

I had a warranty issue with my alternator. I called the closest Ford truck center and they said that they wouldn't even look at RVs and suggested that I call the 800#. I asked them if the would work on it if the word AMBULANCE backward on the hood. They said yes. I then asked why, as both receive the cutaway, them mount the coach box? They didn't have an answer. I called the 800# and guess who was the first on the list? Capitol Ford.... Justin at Lee Motor Company in Wilson worked it in the first day that I could bring it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
slowmachine, thanks for the link. It's now in my bookmarks.

As you can tell from my sig line, I have a Ford F53 chasis. I have also been fighting this Ford vs HR warranty issue since I purchased the unit in February mainly with the dash AC and alignment. Finally had to call REV Warranty, make an appointment, and drive it to the REV Tech Center in Alvarado, TX and take 2 days off from work because they are not open on weekends. What a pain because nobody wanted to touch it. On a side note, REV did take care of me and worked on everything that needed it.

To all of the gasser fans and sales folks out there, please stop playing up the "ease of maintenance and repair" because it's a Ford chassis ... just stop. They are no easier to get worked on than a DP.

As we speak, I am sitting in the Cummins shop waiting on my generator to be reinstalled after they have been working on it for over 4 weeks to find out what was wrong with it ... long story by itself. Yep, another 2 days off of work.
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #17

Have your father stop at an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and they will read the codes for free and it should tell you the issues and then you can be more knowledgeable when talking to potential service centers
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rte154 View Post
If your willing to try it it is 800-444-3311. I think it's worth trying. Good luck
I'm surprised you didn't get help at that number. I think it is for RV Ford Chassis owners.

When I needed help, they found a dealer close to me that would do the work. They actually called the local dealer and made sure and then passed the info on to me.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
I'm surprised you didn't get help at that number. I think it is for RV Ford Chassis owners.

When I needed help, they found a dealer close to me that would do the work. They actually called the local dealer and made sure and then passed the info on to me.
We called the number and the best they could do was get it looked at in 2 weeks. I'm so frustrated. Mark my words this will be the last time I ever purchase a Ford product!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
You can search by location and vehicle type here.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-vehicle-center/
Thanks for this link...to all who are searching you must click the tab for "more information" and check to see if they service motorhomes. Not even all Ford Commercial vehicle service centers will service a motorhome.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #21

You might have done this but I believe there is a Ford number in your owner's manual. When we were traveling on the east coast we were getting a check engine lights (CEL) about every 800 miles. Ford called a Ford car dealership and set up an appointment for my RV. The dealership would have refused my request for service but Ford headquarters had the power to convince the dealership to set up an appointment for an RV.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
You might have done this but I believe there is a Ford number in your owner's manual. When we were traveling on the east coast we were getting a check engine lights (CEL) about every 800 miles. Ford called a Ford car dealership and set up an appointment for my RV. The dealership would have refused my request for service but Ford headquarters had the power to convince the dealership to set up an appointment for an RV.
I just called them for the fourth time and they were supposed to call back earlier. However, the lady I spoke to this time said there was no record of the call back request (this was my third call). On the second call they said we would have to wait two weeks for the RV to be looked at. This is the fourth call and she promised she would find a dealer in the area and call us back.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiPappa View Post
Thanks for this link...to all who are searching you must click the tab for "more information" and check to see if they service motorhomes. Not even all Ford Commercial vehicle service centers will service a motorhome.
I assure you, you are far from the first, nor the last, to encounter this situation with a Ford chassis motorhome. We all go through it at one time or another. It often just requires some patience....and an adjustment of your 'expectations'.
A two week wait for an appointment would not be uncommon at all at a busy Ford Commercial vehicle center. Sometimes you just have to 'deal with it'.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately what is an immediate/emergency repair for us as owners is not an emergency for others. Ford and motorhome dealer's included. Wait till a slide breaks and your Nexus dealer tells you the soonest they can get you in is six weeks.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #25

What he said plus the basic fact that a lot of diesel shops also do not want to work on motor homes. In general they are a pain because of engine access and keeping things clean.

We have a truck dealer about 15 miles away that did a recall with no problem. Most of out work is oil changes and inspections that I get done at a local tire dealer that is set up to handle box trucks so he also does routine maintenance and annual inspections on motorhomes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #26

Rush Truck Center in Oklahoma City is the authorized Ford truck center for warranty work.

David
2017 SunStar 30T
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #27

Seems to me that two years of research might have picked up some inkling of the service issues. People buy a very expensive vehicle made from parts from several mfg where one mfg's responsibility ends and another one begins. Built on a different Mfg's chassis and get mad when they can not drive it down the road to someone who will fix it in a few hours.

First best bet is the factory service center where they can take care of most of your issues. Then recommend you to a truck repair facility where the rest can be addressed. Next is to find a chassis repair facility like a truck stop or some other business dedicated to large truck repairs. You will not find one on every corner or even in every city. If it is not in warranty, bring your checkbook.

Many of these facilities have a place you can stay in your rig while waiting for the repairs to be completed.

If it is in warranty then back to the factory where you will get the best treatment, you still might want to bring the checkbook. You never know.

Dont get the idea that because you spent allot of money you will get a red carpet treatment, because you wont.

It is possible to get your issues addressed but not by complaining to Henry Ford the XII that will just piss off Joe Sixpack the 1st who is the service writer for the Ford facility who is doing repairs.

The wheels of service turn slowly and it is never the guy you are talking to's fault so unless you want him to spit in your gas tank, or worse, dont yell.

Good luck and keep us in the loop please.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Seems to me that two years of research might have picked up some inkling of the service issues. People buy a very expensive vehicle made from parts from several mfg where one mfg's responsibility ends and another one begins. Built on a different Mfg's chassis and get mad when they can not drive it down the road to someone who will fix it in a few hours.

First best bet is the factory service center where they can take care of most of your issues. Then recommend you to a truck repair facility where the rest can be addressed. Next is to find a chassis repair facility like a truck stop or some other business dedicated to large truck repairs. You will not find one on every corner or even in every city. If it is not in warranty, bring your checkbook.

Many of these facilities have a place you can stay in your rig while waiting for the repairs to be completed.

If it is in warranty then back to the factory where you will get the best treatment, you still might want to bring the checkbook. You never know.

Dont get the idea that because you spent allot of money you will get a red carpet treatment, because you wont.

It is possible to get your issues addressed but not by complaining to Henry Ford the XII that will just piss off Joe Sixpack the 1st who is the service writer for the Ford facility who is doing repairs.

The wheels of service turn slowly and it is never the guy you are talking to's fault so unless you want him to spit in your gas tank, or worse, dont yell.

Good luck and keep us in the loop please.
I knew through research that service will take time. But, the surprise is how hard it is to find a Ford Truck Service center that services gas motorhomes. I had my Dad take it to an auto zone and ran the code. The result is P0068 MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation. It could be a few different things. Hopefully, just a vacuum leak...could also be a few different sensors are bad. I might just break out the checkbook. It will be cheaper than waiting 2 weeks for warranty work to get done. Looking for RV mechanics now.

Tags
ford, gas