Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to GaBounder36E Send a message via AIM to GaBounder36E Send a message via Yahoo to GaBounder36E
Gas Handling VS Diesel Pusher Handling??

Question about the handling of Gas vs. Diesel Pusher Handling??? I am new to this and own a 2014 Bounder 36E and I am not impressed at all with the way this coach handles on the interstates at 65 - 70 MPH. I am wondering if a DP of about the same length would handle any better. The Bounder has all new tires on it and are inflated to 100 psi, also has upgraded shocks and Stabilizers. I have found I would rather drive on non-interstate roads at 55 - 60 mph. It seems to handle better at this speed. Feel like I have been in a fight after 3 hrs of Interstate driving.... Wondering if a DP would handle any better?
GaBounder36E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

Yes, a DP will handle differently (better) because of their weight, suspension and bigger tires. I prefer the state highways (better views, less traffic) and driving about 68.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

Rear tracbar

Agreed, you will never get it to handle like a good DP. However several threads deal with improvements some of us have made to gain some handling ground.

For example, if you are having trouble with tail wag that can be largely addressed by adding a rear tracbar. At least it did make a world of difference for me in my older F53 chassis Bounder. The sum total of the things I’ve done allow me to feel comfortable at speeds up to 75 mph driving with on hand, though I don’t necessarily recommend you drive one handed ever, or at 75 mph, for that matter.

Feeling comfortable driving it does not mean I like the ride. I’ve gained a lot of ground on handling and ride comfort but it still doesn’t ride as comfortably as I believe DP’s do. Liquid springs I understand can make another large improvement, cheaper than purchasing and maintaining a DP but still a lot of expense.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are a LOT of variables! A well setup gasser can work and handle well. I base chassis DP in a short length can handle poorly. When it comes to rough roads, even a middle level DP will rattle your teeth.

For straight line driving on an interstate, a well setup DP with a medium to long wheel base and the extra weight can be more manageable. My 2005 Monaco Diplomat was a 36' DP. It was okay, but required several additions, like better shocks, correct tire adjustment and a steering device called TruCenter.

My current coach, is a 40' DP with a tag axle. The sheer weight and the tag axle make it track truer than a gasser and many non tag coaches. Newmar also offers a product called Comfort Drive. It corrects for road crown and wind push every few seconds. This is typically what wears you out at the end of the day, all the see sawing of the steering wheel. On my coach, I can pull in to get fuel, open the door and never know it was bowing that hard.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:12 AM   #5

There are things you can do to improve the gasser but I dont think you will ever make it drive like a DP.
Have you done wheel or at least axle weights and adjusted tire pressure to your load? Over inflation can affect handling.
I have a 34ft Newmar Ventana and I absolutely love the Comfort Drive, especially after a long day on the road. I knew nothing about it when looking for a smaller DP but lucked out finding this one used. CD is not a gimmick, lots of posts in the Newmar section about it including an excellent summary of it by Ken Sherwin, the invrntor / developer that contributes here on iRV2.
There are lots of posts readout gas vs diesel but have to say I rarely see any DP owner say they wish they had their gasser back, and if so its not because of handling its because they are more expensive to buy & maintain.
If budget allows, by all means try driving a DP but be sure you are serious about it you will likely be hooked.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #6

Have you weighed your coach and adjusted your tire pressure using the tire chart? 100 PSI in all tires seems like a lot for a gasser.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I improved my 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F Ford F53 with SumoSprings, Roadmaster anti-sway bars front and rear I then added shocks and a steering stabilizer. After all that it improved but did not come close to my 2019 Dutch Star 4326.
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

My 22 years is old H/R Navigator 40' non tag still with factory installed shocks towing 20' enclosed or flatbed trailer handling the interstate and highway speed 70+mph with ease, passing and being passed by the semi no issue.
On the interstate without towing the trailer, I tried 80+MPH it handling great also.
After replaced 8 factory shocks with Koni FSD it improved a lot when passing the pothole on the rough road.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #9

I had a 2021 Thor Windsport 31C it was terrible on the highway especially side wind. I traded it in for a new 2020 Thor Aria 3901. the ride is exceptional and smooth. Handles very well in side wind and best of all super quiet. I can now actually have a conversation with the wife without looking like we are yelling at each other.
No regrets here.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #10

Best upgrade I did to my 32 gasser was trade it in on a DP. The ride is so much better, handles better, and it is so quiet, no gas engine roaring away on every little incline.
kenbo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #11

You can spend a ton of money on a gas, F53 chassis trying to improve the ride. I know, as we went through this with our 2019, 32SA. I came to the conclusion that the best improvement to a gas coach is either do Liquid Springs, or go to a DP. We got a 2017 Allegro Red DP last week and it is worlds apart from a gas rig in all respects.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBounder36E View Post
Question about the handling of Gas vs. Diesel Pusher Handling??? I am new to this and own a 2014 Bounder 36E and I am not impressed at all with the way this coach handles on the interstates at 65 - 70 MPH. I am wondering if a DP of about the same length would handle any better. The Bounder has all new tires on it and are inflated to 100 psi, also has upgraded shocks and Stabilizers. I have found I would rather drive on non-interstate roads at 55 - 60 mph. It seems to handle better at this speed. Feel like I have been in a fight after 3 hrs of Interstate driving.... Wondering if a DP would handle any better?
Why not just drive 55-60 on the interstates? That should solve your problem! Just because 65-70 is the speed limit, doesn’t mean you have to run it! But stay in the far right lane!
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #13

As someone else stated , try slowing down.

I had a 08 Bounder and would travel at your speeds, biggest issue was the fuel it sucked at those speeds! Lol….

When I was RV shopping ford and workhorse had chassis, the workhorse chassis was so much better, the ford chassis I drove wasn’t confidence inspiring at all to me. It was a pace arrow 38P ford vs Bounder 38P workhorse

As others stated, I believe suspension upgrades are available which you can do, pretty much converts leaf springs to air bag suspension which would transform the ride/handling. It’s just a matter of if it’s worth spending that on what you have now vs applying those funds to. DP. That being said there is a pretty significant difference between the different price points of DP’s, they do not feel the same going down the road. Drive as many as you can!
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #14

The new Ford chassis with the 7.3 litre gas engine will handle better than the previous Ford gas chassis generation.

But from what I know and experienced never owning a Motorhome.

My dually truck towing a 5th wheel I would run fast. About 72 mph. I passed all motorhomes except tag axle motorhomes.

One time I was cruising at 74 mph and was in the way of a tag axle motorhome. I moved over and he wizzed by. This was on I75. I came to the conclusion that the tag axle motorhomes are in a league of their own.

But to answer your question. A single axle DP will be better than the V10 Ford gas motorhomes and also the new imported 7.3 Ford gas chassis. This is just a guess from what I have seen.

If a single axle DP is 100 points and the V10 Ford chassis is 50, the new 7.3 Ford chassis would be a 75.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas