Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

We just purchased our first motorhome, a used 2004 Class A Winnebago Sightseer, 30 foot with a double slide-out. The dealer said we would get about 9 miles to the gallon. It came with a full tank of gas, so we're waiting for our first trip out in a few weeks to start doing our "math". Any ideas on what the miles per gallon will REALLY be? We're old campers who started in tents over 30 years ago (I met my husband while camping in college! ) and went on to an old Apache pop-up, a new Jayco pop-up, a used Award 27 foot, a used Argosy 24 foot, a new Sunline 20 foot....and now our motorhome. We'd love any tips you may have to share with us! Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #2

We just purchased our first motorhome, a used 2004 Class A Winnebago Sightseer, 30 foot with a double slide-out. The dealer said we would get about 9 miles to the gallon. It came with a full tank of gas, so we're waiting for our first trip out in a few weeks to start doing our "math". Any ideas on what the miles per gallon will REALLY be? We're old campers who started in tents over 30 years ago (I met my husband while camping in college! ) and went on to an old Apache pop-up, a new Jayco pop-up, a used Award 27 foot, a used Argosy 24 foot, a new Sunline 20 foot....and now our motorhome. We'd love any tips you may have to share with us! Thank you!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi and welcome to the site. You will get lots of good ideas and help here from a lot of really good folks.

If your MH is a gas motor, that figure may be a little generous. However, the thing that effects your MPG the most is how heavy you load the rig, and your driving style. A heavy foot will always cost you in the mileage department.

Either way, I figure we did not buy these condos on wheels to pinch pennys, so have as much fun as you can, enjoy the rig, and travel as much as you can!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sew,
Try clicking on "Find" at the top of the thread. Enter "mileage" as the search criteria. The result will be many posts to answer your question.

There are many items that determine fuel mileage. Terrain, wind, weight and speed are a few of the items. I make a fuel mileage calculation only every 2 to 3K miles. In this way I can get a true value, minimizing the varience due to how the coach sets at the fueling station.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #5

As you can see by my signature, I have a similar coach with a Ford chassis. I am currently getting 8.2 MPG without the toad and 7.8 MPG with. My coach only has 6000 miles on it and I figure the mileage should get a bit better. I will be thrilled if it gets 9MPG.

Let us know what you are getting for mileage, but most of all, have fun!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #6

And don't forget to get anything close to a real mileage figure, you need to fill the tank the same way, preferably at the same station, parked the same way several times. The slant you park on will affect how much of the tank top air space fgets filled, and so will change the amount of gas you fill for a given number of miles. It couls be several gallons different with each fill if you don't take these precautions.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #7

Our 26P Sightseer with the Workhorse/8.1 vortec engine gets about 10 to 11 mpg without the toad and about 8 with, so I think 9mpg should be doable.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Sewbzzzy, welcome to this site. And don't worry about the mileage just fill it up and have your credit card ready. Any where between 7 to 8.5 is about all you will get. My freind who likes to be in a hurry only gets, 5 miles per gallon because he drives at 80 miles per hour in a gas motorhome 34 footer on those Ford V-10 /
keep it at 55 mph and don't worry about the cars behind you. After all you are either retired or just plain Rich and in no hurry .
Don't forget these are over 22,000 lbs. it is a rolling CONDO
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SewBzzzy:
We just purchased our first motorhome, a used 2004 Class A Winnebago Sightseer, 30 foot with a double slide-out. The dealer said we would get about 9 miles to the gallon. It came with a full tank of gas, so we're waiting for our first trip out in a few weeks to start doing our "math". Any ideas on what the miles per gallon will REALLY be? We're old campers who started in tents over 30 years ago (I met my husband while camping in college! ) and went on to an old Apache pop-up, a new Jayco pop-up, a used Award 27 foot, a used Argosy 24 foot, a new Sunline 20 foot....and now our motorhome. We'd love any tips you may have to share with us! Thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a ScanGuage on my V10 F53 35 footer and can get a reading as low a 1 MPG going uphill and as high as 35 MPG going down. In Florida I can average 9.5 MPG Highway but in NewYork/Penn 7.5 MPG but only if I keep it below 65 MPH. Hot dog it and you will pay with 5 to 6 MPG or even less.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #10

Most average 7-8 mpg. You will notice a difference in mpg driving 65mph and dropping down to 55mph.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #11

Thank you to all of you for your very informative responses!!! I see I shall learn MUCH on this website! Do all of you travel with a full tank of water .....or fill it 1/4 to 1/2 way before traveling? In the heat of summer, does the air from the dash cool you while you drive?

Thank you!
Shelley
Old 04-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SewBzzzy:
Thank you to all of you for your very informative responses!!! I see I shall learn MUCH on this website! Do all of you travel with a full tank of water .....or fill it 1/4 to 1/2 way before traveling? In the heat of summer, does the air from the dash cool you while you drive?

Thank you!Shelley </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say 1/4 tank would be the absolute most as water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon. Just enough water for the potty breaks, etc. Hasn't been hot enough here yet for the ac but have heard some people turn the gen on and use the outside coach air when moving.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #13

We travel with a full water tank when we are going someplace where we might not have access to fresh water in a timely manner. Many travel with just enough to get them to the next stop. It does weigh a lot and cuts into your gas mileage. But carrying it depends on your own choice.

Dash air is similar. We use it when the weather is very hot, but it won't cool a large coach, and the roof air won't cool our cockpit very well by itself in very hot weather. It runs off the generator, so you use some gas or other fuel there, but most agree the roof air is more efficient than the dash air.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #14

I use the roof air when it gets hot to keep the load off the engine when I pull a hill. I try to keep the engine temp down. I also turn off all of the ceiling air vents except the ones near the front of the coach.