Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #1

Gas motor 5 speed transmission

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving.
Just registered to iRV2 today, first post. I’ve been an outdoorsman/camper/hiker for approximately 43years. Wife and I love the outdoors. Had a new 2005 Fleetwood Revolution for 5 years and a 2015 Keystone bullet for 5-years.
I just bought a 2016 Tiffin Open Road 31SA, has the V10 gas motor with 5-speed transmission. 5-speed with overdrive.
My question is how to properly and effectively use the transmission in the mountains (Smokey) and to help with braking? I have read in some forums of folks using the transmission to maximize potential when climbing large hills and likewise to help with conserving the brakes coming down the grades. But, the threads never explain how this is done.
What rpms,speed or conditions does one downshift or upshift. How do I effectively use the transmission without damaging it?
I have had the Motorhome for only a week but frankly the breaks kinda freak me out, feels like I have to stand on pedal for a lengthy slowdown.
I have a 30 day warranty and plan on a good shakedown trip this weekend.
Roding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #2

Tow/Haul is your friend for downhill braking. When in tow/haul when you hit the brake it will downshift a gear and help you slow down. Drive it a bit as there is a learning curve to it. My first motorhome as a Class C with the V 10, but when I got my Newmar Bay Star it was a whole different ballgame. After about 7000 miles in it i really don't remember how different the Class c was. You'll get used to it.
Have fun!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Just turn on Tow/Haul after you start the engine.

Your hauling a house all of the time, so it's useful.

Leave the shifter in drive. No need to mess with it.

Tow/Haul changes the shift points while hill climbing and actavates the downshift by touching the brakes program.

It does not block out overdrive, all gears are used, so gas mileage will be almost the same.

Google Ford Tow/Haul operation for the whole story.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

An old adage to remember is not to go down a hill any faster than you went up it. You aren't in a small vehicle so you just need to stay aware and be safe.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread has much to read about driving the v10

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/driv...10-361732.html
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #6

We drive in the NC and VA mountains a lot with the V-10 and the 5 speed. That combination is used on all chassis from the 16,000# to the 26,000# so methods will vary. We have a 34' coach on the 20,500# and seldom use the tow/haul uphill and use it often on steep downhill grades with curves, but not all the time as some suggest. I often turn it off when the road is straight and I can spped up and back on again when the curves come up.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There is little for the driver to do with a modern computer-controlled engine & auto tranny. The computers will determine the best gear and rpm range for the load, whether level or hill-climbing. Tow-haul mode will advise the computer that you expect consistent grades with a heavy load, and it will adjust its performance algorithm to handle that better. Tow-haul alters the transmission shifting uphill and utilizes lower gears on the downhill side as well. Just put it in Drive and push the go-pedal. Use Tow-Haul mode when in hill country. Allow the vehicle to slow down as you reach the crest of a hill so that you don't start the downside with more speed than you want . Better to be extra-slow at the top - you can always let it speed up if you wish.

You can't damage the transmission by up or down shifts - it will simply refuse to do anything that would cause internal damage to either transmission or engine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

There is no benefit to switching Tow/Haul OFF, on the flat and level highway.
Having it on helps slow you down when getting off the highway.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
The V-10 is a great motor and it is designed to run a a high RPM between shifts.
When going up a hill the transmission will typically downshift 5-4 then 4-3 on a steep grade. Going down the hill in tow/haul mode the trans will do exactly the same to maintain your speed and very noticeable when in cruise mode. When not in cruise mode downshifts and enabled by applying brake pressure.
Its beneficial to keep it in TOW/Haul mode as your always hauling a "close to maximum load".
I'm used to diesel engines and when we road tested a 2014 34' class A, I was reminded of the high RPMs this engine will run at.
It is designed to operate this way and it does its job well.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There is no benefit to switching Tow/Haul OFF, on the flat and level highway.
Having it on helps slow you down when getting off the highway.
I don't find this to be true when coming out of curves to a long downhill straightaway, the transmission fails to shift out of low and the engine just continues to rev with no speed gain. It was this way on two different motorhomes. So I hit the button and let the speed build. When I need to slow down, I put the tow/haul on again.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roding View Post
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving.
Just registered to iRV2 today, first post. I’ve been an outdoorsman/camper/hiker for approximately 43years. Wife and I love the outdoors. Had a new 2005 Fleetwood Revolution for 5 years and a 2015 Keystone bullet for 5-years.
I just bought a 2016 Tiffin Open Road 31SA, has the V10 gas motor with 5-speed transmission. 5-speed with overdrive.
My question is how to properly and effectively use the transmission in the mountains (Smokey) and to help with braking? I have read in some forums of folks using the transmission to maximize potential when climbing large hills and likewise to help with conserving the brakes coming down the grades. But, the threads never explain how this is done.
What rpms,speed or conditions does one downshift or upshift. How do I effectively use the transmission without damaging it?
I have had the Motorhome for only a week but frankly the breaks kinda freak me out, feels like I have to stand on pedal for a lengthy slowdown.
I have a 30 day warranty and plan on a good shakedown trip this weekend.
Since you already have your answers, I now have one, which is what prompted you to go from a DP to a GP Coach?
Just curious, since not many do that.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I don't find this to be true when coming out of curves to a long downhill straightaway, the transmission fails to shift out of low and the engine just continues to rev with no speed gain. It was this way on two different motorhomes. So I hit the button and let the speed build. When I need to slow down, I put the tow/haul on again.
Mine occasionally does the same, but its effect on performance or MPG is probably insignificant. It does shift after a time.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #13

After coming down a long grade in tow/haul, I find the tranny hesitant to up shift unless I tap out of tow/haul momentarily. It will then shift up and I go back to T/H for all my driving. V 10 w/5 speed.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

Use Tow'Haul mode. You turn it on by pressing the button on the end on the gear selection handle on the right of the steering wheel. Start MH, put in Drive ("D") push button to engage Tow Haul.

Since this is a used MH, the very first thing you should do is change out ALL, did I say ALL...yes ALL fluids to get a new maintenance base line. This includes your brakes. Standing on your brakes a lot or going down hill is a perfect way to start a fire and burn up your brakes. Use Tow Haul mode and let the engine/transmission slow you down to proper speed. If you're still accelerating down hill to much, tap the brake so the MH will down shift again. Using Tow/Haul mode is also very good when going thru town or city traffic and stopping a lot. If Tow/Haul mode is used your brakes should last 100K miles or more.

Good luck. 👍
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motor, transmission