Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #1

Gas or Diesel?

So, what are the proven advantages of one over the other? Compare costs to operate/maintain, system complexity, performance and anything else that is significant. Not convinced diesel is the best choice for other than the largest of RVs.
floog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

floog45-

This question comes up frequently on iRV2. Here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+...ite%3Airv2.com

The search lists 8,770 posts, so I suspect you'll get an idea of the opinions by reading a hundred or so.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

We own a gas MH (since spring of 2018) and we're happy with it because it fits our budget, and when we travel, we only travel up to 350 miles per day. We're retired and don't have to rush. If money were no object, I'd have a diesel pusher for the better ride and more choices in terms of models, floorplans, etc. But they are more expensive to maintain unless you can do your own service. Also, if you plan to full time, the added cargo capacity of a diesel pusher is a plus as cargo capacities of gassers can be much lower. If you go with a gasser, I'd suggest sticking with Newmar or Tiffen or be very selective if you go with Winnebago or used Itasca. IMHO, a slightly used Newmar or Tiffen can be a great buy. If possible, go with a chassis that has the 22" wheels as they are known for having a better ride. I have 19.5 wheels, but we really like the size, floorplan and condition of our 2012 Bay Star.

Good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Agree a search will answer your question but it's fairly simple...
36' or less = GAS
40' or more DIESEL
37'-39' is not as simple
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

We narrowed it down to 2 Gas models and 2 Diesels (one each Tiffin and Newmar). We walked through each and decided on floor plan that was livable for the type of use we expected. Chose that floor plan and happened to be diesel. Now have 2020 Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA on order for a January pick up. As many have said in the thousands of posts on this forum, you will live in it about 95% of your time and drive it about 5% (somewhere in that range). You have to be comfortable and the RV has to be functional for your expected lifestyle for the 95%.

Best of Luck with your choice!!
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
wife and i full time in a 39ft gas it is the winnie adventurer 38t it is a great floor plan with more then enough storage.

we went from a 4 bed 2 bath and down sized to much since we still have 2 basement compartments and 3 overhead compartments empty. we have been on the road 7 months now.

i will say this since we tow a 8.5x20 9990lb.enclosed car hauler (only for tool box car motorcycle and ladder) we did add the full banks power system so we get 342 hp and 457 lbf-ft at the rear wheels rather then the 340 hp and 455 lbf-ft rating at the fly-wheel stock rating. so we have plenty of power.

we do have the 22.5 tires and the aluminum alcoa rims. with the 24000 lb chassie rather then the 22000 lb. and due travial with the fresh water tank (108 gal) full. and the trailer did need to have a custom dual anti-away weight dist hitch done.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Diesel engine will produce more torque for climbing hills but it as more expensive to maintain. IMHO for MH 36ft. and under the gas engine will do just fine.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #8

Gas or Diesel?

Edited - posted to wrong thread
Old 10-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I asked the same question and did the same research earlier this year, it comes down to individual usage. There are a lot of variables so there is no blanket response, so the questions you’ll be asked is how you intend to use it.

After looking at how we intend to use our first, which was one of our variables, we decided on a gas Class A. The deciding factors for us were:

-We are part timers and will use it on weekends and a few week long trips a year until we retire in 6-8 years. I read that gas is better than diesel for this type of usage.

-As our first MH, gas is less complicated & doesn’t require as much maintenance, we have never had a diesel so we’re comfortable with gas.

-Cost, while we could have purchased a diesel we didn’t want to pull the extra $35-50k from savings on something that may end up as a toy for us. Also, as our first MH, we still need to decide if we like the life style, so keeping the extra $ in savings made sense to us. If we like the life style, we’ll use the $ on our next MH.

-We are east of the Mississippi and will probably not head west until we retire so we don’t need the power of a diesel, yet...

-The gas floor plan we ordered gave us what we wanted with more than enough OCCC for the two of us even when flat towing our Jeep.

Now these are our unique factors, yours will probably be different. We are not current owners, we’ll have ours in May, so we may have not made the right decision, but we made the decision we felt was right for us knowing what we knew last week, if we were wrong, we’ll revisit the decision if needed. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When asked this question by a customer, I always replied with, how much money do you have? Diesels ride better with full air suspension. Diesels are quieter with the engine in the rear. Diesels are usually larger with a bigger floor plan. Gas is much cheaper to maintain. I drive a gas because I can't afford a diesel. I am very happy with my gas, but would buy a diesel tomorrow if I won the lottery. Never buy a diesel if money is already tight. They are expensive to maintain.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #11

My opinion (probably not worth much) is you have to take into consideration how and how much you are going to use your MH.
In my own case I put less than 1200 miles per season on my gas powered MH. Do I need a MH? No, but we do use it to frequent a campground 25 miles away we have been camping at since 1966. When we go for a weekend my son brings his camper along and my daughter often brings her tent. I have grandchildren by both and we have a great time together. The grandchildren have a ball.
I like the space in our MH and to get as much space and convenience in a travel trailer I would have to buy a truck larger than my 1/2 ton pickup. The trailer alone would probably cost me as much as I paid for my MH. We have had several different travel trailers in the past and wanted something different. We had a Class C before we bought the A. I have known my A since it was new, have all the maintenance records and it's in exceptionally nice condition inside and out with just over 33,000 miles on it. We keep it that way. I do all my own maintenance and repairs.
We also attend a NASCAR race annually which is the longest trip we make in a season. It's 163 miles from home to the track. We also go to two different snowmobile grass drag events each year. Both tracks are less than 100 miles away.
If I was going to travel a lot I would seriously consider a DP because of the better ride, more storage and better driveability. At this point in time I don't need a DP or have to deal with expensive maintenance costs. I don't see a DP in my future as I don't plan to travel long distances and have absolutely no desire to live in a cracker box right on top of other campers.
I have a nice house I built 44 years ago, a nice garage, and a large storage building I store my summer and winter toys in along with my tractors and grounds maintenance equipment to take care of my 200 acres of land. I plan to stay right here, fish, hunt, use our ATV's and snowmobiles and do most anything I want to do.
My idea of being a snow bird is working on and racing our stock and modified snowmobiles in the winter with my son and a couple friends.
Like I said, this is just my own opinion but my family agrees with me with no reservations.
Lynn
Old 10-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
wife and i full time in a 39ft gas it is the winnie adventurer 38t it is a great floor plan with more then enough storage.

we went from a 4 bed 2 bath and down sized to much since we still have 2 basement compartments and 3 overhead compartments empty. we have been on the road 7 months now.

i will say this since we tow a 8.5x20 9990lb.enclosed car hauler (only for tool box car motorcycle and ladder) we did add the full banks power system so we get 342 hp and 457 lbf-ft at the rear wheels rather then the 340 hp and 455 lbf-ft rating at the fly-wheel stock rating. so we have plenty of power.

we do have the 22.5 tires and the aluminum alcoa rims. with the 24000 lb chassie rather then the 22000 lb. and due travial with the fresh water tank (108 gal) full. and the trailer did need to have a custom dual anti-away weight dist hitch done.
Most of that I had a hard time understanding, but it sounds like you're towing a 9,900 lb trailer with a gas Motor home ?? What are the ratings on that unit ?
Old 10-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The toughest thing to get into your mind is that the engine fuel is a relatively minor part of the decision. Yes, diesel engines have oodles of low end torque and that's great for heavy vehicles, but most of the gas vs diesel coach difference is elsewhere. Simply put, the RV makers don't put all the best stuff into a gas coach cause the buyers are more price conscious. A gas engine is one of many ways to hold the price down. Those willing to pay a higher price for top-of-the-line rigs buy diesel pushers to get the engine, air suspension & brakes, heavy duty Allison tranny, a more robust chassis with greater carrying capacity, more upscale interior furnishings & systems, and in most cases a host of amenities.

If it was only the engine that was important difference, the FRED (front-engine diesel) type coaches would be hot sellers, but they are not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Most of that I had a hard time understanding, but it sounds like you're towing a 9,900 lb trailer with a gas Motor home ?? What are the ratings on that unit ?
i if you read what i put in my post i give the rating. but here you go.

stock ratings for any rv is at the fly wheel, you loose 20% by the time the power makes it to the rear wheel.

so stock my rv is rated 340 hp 455 torq but the power at the rear wheels would be 272 hp 364 torq. so i added the banks power system. so i get 342 hp and 456 torq at the rear wheels.

the rv is on a w24 chassie has a 8.1 litre chevy v8 it is a 2006 has 22.5 tires and wheels

Tags
diesel, gas