Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
RickO, certainly in your instance going gas, if the choice were there, would have been super nuts-there are, and yours is one, instances where diesel is absolutely necessary, you're well over 40K gvw?
Yep... CGVW=42K

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #30

Whew. I think I lost a few brain cells reading all those last 6 or 7 posts. And a few giggles at "incinerating myself" and "push rod going through the seat" - got a visual on both of those and neither was pretty!!

I believe it comes down to me primarily wanting to feel the safest possible. Engine 30+ feet away makes me feel safer, of course. Huge torque makes me feel safe(r), but the exhaust or jake brake is a big one. Even if I only make one major mountain trip it will be worth it. I have lost the brakes to overheating while pulling a fully loaded horse trailer down a mountainside into Camp Verde, Arizona - it was godawful terrifying and NOT something I want to repeat. And that rig was a hell of a lot lighter than a 38' DP is going to be. I will be at least 30,000 lbs I figure.

Gas cost/fuel mileage/maintenance - all kind of seems to work out in the wash???

Ah...the confusion....

Another positive to the DP - can run the gennie driving down the road from inside, and it runs off same fuel tank as rig - no worrying about gassing the generator. I honestly am too dumb about all this to know if it is the same in a gas rig but I assume not??

CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #31
CD

One thing I haven't seen mentioned. Don't use the Jake/exhaust brake on slick roads, even wet can be a problem. An OTR driver told me years ago that is a quick way to swap ends in a hurry. I came close with our present PU. I was pulling into a camp ground that was down hill and gravel. I hadn't turned of the exhaust brake and when I took my foot of the peddle it started to jack knife. I was able to trurn it off and get back on the peddle to straighten it out.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should at least drive a Gas UFO chassis Motorhome before you buy. Engine in the rear so no noise, generator in the front so no noise in the bedroom, and handling is fantastic. We get about 7 MPG, and oil changes run $50 and up depending on where you go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to add, the Gas UFO comes with a grade brake and the brakes are very good.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sherri-

Quote:
Another positive to the DP - can run the gennie driving down the road from inside, and it runs off same fuel tank as rig - no worrying about gassing the generator. I honestly am too dumb about all this to know if it is the same in a gas rig but I assume not??
I'm a gasser- Our gennie uses gas and we can run down the hwy with it running, all day (to a point), if needed. All the MH's I have seen for years now use the same fuel as the engine. Some years ago propane was used in some gennies.
That point is, down to, roughly, 1/4 of a tank of fuel. This is a safety factor, in all MH's, so dry campers can start their rigs and get someplace to refuel before running their rigs out of fuel in the "boondocks". Even the million dollar + rigs are set up this way.
My 'ole boss has a Marathon coach and he invited all his friends over for a steak cookout (somewhere out West)- picture this- a crowd of folks with cocktails in hand and "Big Boy" goes to start the Gen set to run the (slide out) Jen Aire grill, to cook the enormous steaks he has. The genny won't start. He gets on the phone to Marathon's 24 hour service center and the first thing they ask him is "how much fuel in the tank?"-. He always hated to refuel his rig himself (If we were around, we usually did it for him- ) and he always put it off as long as he could.

Good luck and safe travels with your choice of rigs--
Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup711 View Post

Yes, at least some of us gasser owners can run the genny off the fuel tank as we motor along, as long as we have at least a 1/4 tank of fuel. Gassers really have come a long way since the 90's.
Goodturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #36

Ok, I wasn't sure if both gas and diesel were set up the same way for the gennies. That is good to know!!! And I was informed by my handy-dandy salesman (who is probably scarred for life after 4 hours with me last weekend) that the 1/4 tank thing applies to pretty much all MH's (at least from mid 90's to now, and I am not looking for older than 2003 at the VERY latest.) My only other debatable item now is the toad. I have stated (emphatically) that I do not want a toad initially. I want time to get used to driving the darn rig and THEN worry about the car behind it. I will be in "mostly" populated areas, at least in the beginning, so Enterprise can deliver!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

May be off topic but begin thinking about a state of "domicile" once you start full timing. I bring this up now because of the logistics involved in purchasing a toad after you've begun to travel. It's not a major problem but if you and your coach are licensed in XYZ state... and you travel across the country and decide to buy a toad in ABC state... you'll want to get it registered in XYZ state but won't be there.

There's tons of info on the whole "domicile" issue that you don't yet have to be concerned with but just keep this in mind.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup711 View Post

We gassers run the genny going down the road and start them from the inside. Even on my 1988 rig.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #39

Hey Ricko -

Thanks, I have thought of that. Unfortunately for me, my business requires that I keep NC as my domicile and that my mailing address, etc. be here. We have monstrous personal property taxes but I have no way around it. I am working on a couple of other business opportunities that will change that if they work out!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #40

Gold -

Thanks!!!! See, all this stuff I find out when I am on here?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #41

wheelsup711. let me complicate the decision alot for you: the engine in the back is nice (read quiet) but this means that greasy/grimy service techs will have to walk through your coach to do some of the service: some of the A boys here can confirm or refute this.
AND while the engine in the rear makes life MUCH more pleasant, be it gas or diesel, this arrangement also regrettably means that when one is involved in an accident-frontal- YOU are the first one there..... Again I would defer to the class 'A' crowd.

Having said all this; to get at an engine, any kind, in a class C or truck chasis the shops now make it practice to either remove the engine or most of the front end sheet metal, or both !!

wthomas1 gives excellent advice, drive a gasser and decide

AND, Goodturn/Max raise good points about generator power-myself I will NEVER have any other genset other than propane now-no 'bad' fuel worries, or certainly very few compared to either gas or diesel. I have become a propane believer-yes the fuel is dangerous compared to gas and certainly to diesel, its heavier than air and thus will puddle if it leaks, BUT there is virtually no odor and the maint is reduced by 75%, oil comes out almost as clean as it goes in. However, if you don't have a coach with some propane already-fridge, heat, water heater, then bringing it in for just the generator is silly.

We made two big mistakes a while back, one was the dealer we went to-out of State, never again; the boldness and lying of rv dealers seem to increase geometrically with the number of miles between the customer and dealer AND we bought new, never never again.

Let someone else take the 30% plus hit-plus if the decision has been made to buy 'used', its amazing how many coaches are available for cheap (compared to new) money with very, very few miles-though pricing has changed somewhat in the last few years...

Lastly with regard to gas/diesel:

I am certain that every male here will agree with this statement, ANY woman is 'hot' when she is behind the wheel of a diesel and any 'hot' woman is instantly smoking 'hot' when she is behind the wheel of a diesel.

Please everyone, take this in the spirit intended-

Do be sure you check out DynaMax coaches, they make alot of sense to me.

Oh yes, and CD is correct, it was and still may be a question on the CDL driving written test-jakes off in slippery weather.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Go Diesel you will not regret it.