Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Boy...this is getting good!
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #58

I recommend my RV dealer, Parkway RV Center, 5568 Battlefield Parkway, Ringgold, Georgia, 30736. 706-965-7929.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from a 2005 Monaco DP to a 2019 Georgetown GT5 34H5 without regrets. For our lifestyle, this made far more sense. I was hesitant at first but very pleased with the results. The ride is not much different from the DP. We had the Safe-T Plus system installed and the improvement on swaying and handling was remarkable. We are not noticing any difference on gas mileage. We went from 32K pounds down to 22K and have much more accessibility regarding campsites. I can service this V10 anytime I need to and don't feel as intimidated with the CAT C7. It's a matter of preference, of course, as well as what you plan to do with it but we are pleased with the gas vs DP. Wishing you the best regarding your decision!
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
When the question becomes "newer gasser vs older diesel pusher", the considerations are numerous, and vitally important.

Predictably, everyone's going to tell you what THEY did - not helpful in giving you the answer you need.

After owning both over several decades of RVing, some of the applicable comparisons I've noted are:

1) Suspension - gasser, springs, diesel - air suspension. NO ONE ever returns to gasser spring suspension after experiencing a DP air ride. Guaranteed.

2) House construction - gasser, lots of particle board, plywood floors that might creak and groan, diesel - depends on make/model, but probably a lot less of that (if ANY), and more REAL wood. More solid walls/floors.

3) Noise - gas - motor up front, cruising at 65 mph, engine whining at 6-7000 rpm, can't talk up front, diesel - engine 40' behind you, turning 1750 rpm at 65 mph, mostly silent up front.

4) Maintenance - gassers, lots of places will work on it, but don't expect to get more than 150K miles between overhauls, diesel - designed for over-the-road trucking/several HUNDRED miles between overhauls (you probably never will have to). Seldom need anything beyond routine oil/filter changes. More expensive if something DOES break, but over-design means it seldom happens with proper maintenance.

5) Diesels tend to be heavier than gassers, and will thus be less affected by wind currents created by passing semi trucks.

6) DPs will tend to be better apportioned with options and accessories than a gasser.

As you know, gassers and diesel powered Class As are available at many price ranges, and you're contemplating a major expenditure. Only YOU can decide what fits YOUR priorities and budget. But, at the end of the day, a diesel pusher will win the contest for "More Gracious Living".

Good luck making that decision.

Our anecdote: We owned both types, and on moving (up) to Diesel pushers, going back was never an option, for the reasons above.

1) Is completely wrong as there are multiple people in this thread that went to a gas from a diesel, there is an entire thread on the tiffin open roders facebook where people are all talking about doing just that. So this is just not true.

2) nope, not for all anyways. Tiffin open road, and newmar canyon stars have the same build level to include full wood cabinets as the diesels.

3)Again completely not true. At 70 on cruise mine runs about 4000 to 4500. After the 5 star tune its in the 2000's. My wife and I have normal level conversations and even do work conference calls.

4) True, but even if i do a full rebuild im still significantly less than a DP, and the house will probably break down first anyways.

5) I agree

6) Maybe but not really much. Again an open road vs a RED or a canyon star vs a ventanna Le there are some difference but not a lot. Once you move up to the dutch star or phaeton line there are more but now your talking about a significant uptick in price too.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yup! Sounds like someone was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and some unscrupulous shop or mechanic took advantage of that fact!
I suggest you get a quote on a radiator replacement on any DP ..it will open your eyes. I have a friend who had to have his replaced on a 10 year old unit. The lowest priced replacement was 8500.00 for the radiator alone no hoses coolant clamps..just the radiator. He always talked about how he had done all of his own maintenance over the years. Which he described as changing the oil and filters. I asked him if he ever checked his sca's he had never heard of it. Or the oil level in his hubs again a puzzled look. His 3yr scheduled or his 5 year scheduled..what? Bi-annual air? No clue. I had a 5 in one gauge go out on my FL it was over 500.00 for just the part.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
I suggest you get a quote on a radiator replacement on any DP ..it will open your eyes. I have a friend who had to have his replaced on a 10 year old unit. The lowest priced replacement was 8500.00 for the radiator alone no hoses coolant clamps..just the radiator. He always talked about how he had done all of his own maintenance over the years. Which he described as changing the oil and filters. I asked him if he ever checked his sca's he had never heard of it. Or the oil level in his hubs again a puzzled look. His 3yr scheduled or his 5 year scheduled..what? Bi-annual air? No clue. I had a 5 in one gauge go out on my FL it was over 500.00 for just the part.
One of our members recently replaced his radiator for a Cummins ISL. Radiator was $3800, labor was $2600 which included some additional work. All in $6400. Not cheap, but about half of some figures being tossed around.

Seems your friend “talked the talk” but didn’t actually “walk the walk” when it came to basic maintenance. He’d have a bit more pocket change if he’d actually read the manual and done some work.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Service work on diesels are a lot higher. Air dryer filters $125 gassers don't have one. oil filters are 5 times higher. It just goes on and on from there.... power steering filters, tranny filters, belts, hoses are all speciality items that are way over priced, air filters are $265. Most diesels have a 10k mile service interval which at first look appears to be cool, but in the long run are still at least 5 times more expensive. Fan clutch for gasser $60 diesel fan cluth $900 at discount house.... then you install.... I have both gasser and diesel. Mileage is about the same...I'd go with a ford chassis and which ever body manufacturer that you happen to like. I like the engineering on the winnie's the best...
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Service work on diesels are a lot higher. Air dryer filters $125 gassers don't have one. oil filters are 5 times higher. It just goes on and on from there.... power steering filters, tranny filters, belts, hoses are all speciality items that are way over priced, air filters are $265. Most diesels have a 10k mile service interval which at first look appears to be cool, but in the long run are still at least 5 times more expensive. Fan clutch for gasser $60 diesel fan cluth $900 at discount house.... then you install.... I have both gasser and diesel. Mileage is about the same...I'd go with a ford chassis and which ever body manufacturer that you happen to like. I like the engineering on the winnie's the best...
The Fleetguard AF 25549 for my ISL is $75. Many if not “most” large diesels have a service interval of 15-18K miles. I had a Mini Cooper for awhile, the labor rate at the dealer was $170/hr. My diesel mechanic is $110/hr. Yes, diesels are more expensive to maintain. 5 Times more expensive? Seriously?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #65

The bigger the cushion the better the pushin

Every time I write a response to this type of question I always think of all the rigs I have had. I suppose all those early A gassers were pretty rough around the edges compared to what I have now but they left a great bunch of memories regardless of the trials and tribulations of ownership.

There is a absolutely no doubt that the gassers stepped it up over the last 10 years and match up very well with DP’s when comparing price points and amenities. In fact I would highly recommend folks work their way up through the chain of RV vehicles to find their happy place. You know for some of us it could always be a pop up or anything up to a Prevost.

The reality is that the economy of construction of coaches has made gassers nicer and DP’s more expensive. The early 2000’s were golden years for diesels, they have many features that are still used, the decorating schemes and electronics are much more elaborate now but the coach and chassis are still pretty darn unchanged. I suppose that’s why owning a earlier DP can be such a true bargain when the buyer uses all the tools available in this market.

If you find a well maintained DP (there are many out there) the maintenance issue isn’t that scary as these babies were way over built for what they do and are truly capable of some long haul production. I like to think of it as the last coach I will buy ever. One big reason is many of these high end coaches can easily be upgraded and redecorated much like a home. Any used rig will require a maintenance budget, with diesels the maintenance is slightly more than a gasser but in return you will get some benefits that in my opinion outweigh any negatives.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #66

There is a lot of discussion about engine noise in a front engine MH, and justifiably so, but not much about a rear engine being directly under the bed. That is nice when the outside temps are low, but noticeable when it is 115 degrees outside. More insulation helps both, I suppose.

We had diesel powered TC's for nearly 40 years and 350k miles. Then about 5 years ago we got a 26' 454 powered Flair that we've used for about 30k miles. After that, about a year, ago we decided to go diesel and got a 30' Monaco, which hasn't been used very much. Both MH's (we still have both) are older vehicles and I have always done all the maintenance on whatever vehicles we have had.

As we progressed from TC's to a gas powered MH and then to a DP I was amazed by the increase in complexity of both the chassis and house. For me, at 80, learning all the systems on the the Monaco is overwhelming and maintenance is costly. The Flair is less so in every aspect. The TC's are simplest and most versatile of all and did everything we needed to do.

Our move to a MH was primarily so DW would have better access to the bathroom and other facilities without having to stop. She was also afraid one of us would fall getting into or out of the bed in the TC. So much for that thought. So far she has fallen through the shower curtain (while stopped) Through the folding "door" between the bath and the rest of the MH while moving, and numerous other times while being up when I needed to apply the brakes. Because of all factors in play, especially a wife who will not stay seated, I have decided to get rid of both return to the simpler and more versatile TC.

I did replace the radiator in the Flair for around $500.00 and a lot of frustration during the removal and installation. A direct replacement was not available according to the radiator shop I have used for many years, but they were able to find a suitable core to rebuild the original rad with. It has worked well for 30k miles.

All of the RV's we've had would ascend and descend whatever hill we pointed them at within the US and AK, most of them while towing either a Samurai, Tracker, Metro, or a trailer carrying motorcycles, etc. Some were a little faster than others, but we never had a problem with that.

My thought is that it's all about what a person is more comfortable with. We're going back to something simpler, smaller, more versatile, (safer?) with 4WD and diesel power.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #67

Diesel, diesel, diesel. Wish we had gone diesel to begin with. We would not have upgraded to a diesel if we had. Gas was fine for low lands and low winds. Diesel handles so much better in the winds and pulls up the mountain grades.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #68

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #69

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post

Re air filters, I just replaced mine on a Cummins ISL. It cost me $75 Canadian, which at even a 30% exchange rate, would be approx $52.50 USD, and yes, a Fleetguard filter from a trucking shop.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Local diesel shop did this work 11/16 on a 01 freightliner chassis 3126B cat. They did not flush the cooling system, just drained and refilled. Recomended oil and chassis service is 11k miles for this chassis. Manual recommends lube the zerks at 15kmiles. zerks were not included in this service. there are 26 zerks on this chassis. Same service on a gasser would have been $300 with out a lube job. I use to do cost analysis for delivery vehicles per mile. The cost for running a diesel side by side to a gasser is 5 times more. Like I said, I own both and have run the numbers. That said, diesels can carry 2 times the weight but get about the same mileage. I'd like to say that they will last twice as long but due to improvements in gasser rings and valve material, that is no longer true. I can buy an air filter for this unit on line for $125 but it is hard to guess at how old the part is. most that are sold at a discount are very old stock some as old as 20 years.....

The pix is of the shop receipt for 11/16 for all fleet guard products that were installed except the expansion tank. The fuel water separator failed and I had to replace it 120 miles, 12 months after it was installed.. I'm not a fleet guard fan...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0682.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	255284   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0683.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	255285  

Tags
diesel, gas