Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Gas or electric

Hey folks what are your thoughts on a golf cart gas or electric, which I s better and why?
Jethro001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on your needs, with that said gas is pretty much bulletproof, fill with gas and go, easy to pull steep inclines, they tend to cost more new and on the resale market. Gas engines do need tuning, air filter, etc. but for recreation use this should be years apart.

Electric is very quiet, with a few easy mods you can get more torque or speed.Must charge batteries, keep water levels up, keep battery cables clean. And at some point new batteries which can be $500 or more depending on voltages, how many, brand etc.

Many rv parks, national parks require carts to be electric. So do many beach areas.

I have had both, my oldest son headed up a golf cart business selling a couple thousand units a year. He and I loved gas hands down, I kept my electric due to noise restrictions.

Side note; he sold Ezgo and Clubcar, Clubcar uses an aluminum frame which is a plus and the conversions are easier.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 08-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Electric is quieter.

That way others don't have to put up with the putt-putt noise ...just have to put up with the traffic.

Ugh....don't like golf carts
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #4

If you use maintenance free batteries then you need to spend a thousand dollars every 5 years or so. That is about it. You do not have to check the oil or change the air filter or fuel filter. No spark plug maintenance. Oil change or add gas. Just plug it in at the end of the day and good to go.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Gas or electric

I've owned both. If you use it regularly or go longer distances , gas is the better option. For infrequent use and shorter distance, electric is the better option. Gas is initially more expensive but the cost will even out over time when you change those batteries.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

I know a guy that invested in a gas golf cart last year, this year the lake front RV park where they spend almost every weekend in the summer banned gas carts, now they allow only electric.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I hate golf carts but if you must, go electric
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I hate golf carts but if you must, go electric
Ouch Don, what did a golf cart ever do to you. How else would us old folks get to Bingo and the pool?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Yamaha gas cart. I bypassed the governor and replaced the stock clutch and we cruise everywhere in town around 30 MPH. I have never done anything else to it in the last 7 years other than gas and oil changes. We just can't kill it. I do feel most parks require electric for noise considerations so I guess it really depends what the OP is looking to do with the cart.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

We have had both plus a GEM car. Our EZGO is very quiet with the back up alarm being the noisiest part of it. Gas is the way to go and I will never be in an all electric golf cart park. They will probably dictate your underwear next. If you had carts without mufflers then crack down on the offenders. Where we have the golf cart they are about 1/2 electric and gas with most of the folks with electrics having battery issues way more often than any issues come up with the gas carts. My two cents worth due to the battery change cost, just not worth it and you are really limited if you want to use the heck out of it on a busy weekend. You will always be low on battery if the grandkids all want to drive it.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #11

M SIL used to work maintenance at a large golf resort nearby, his job was to maintain the carts. He said he never had to work on the electric carts, only kept them fully-charged and replaced batteries; but he was always working on the gas engine carts changing oil, air filter, cleaning carb, etc. He said if I bought a gas cart, don't call him to repair the thing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

Used market on electric cars shows their true value, get a gas if you care about your investment
Want a cheap old cart go electric and have money for new batteries
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas