Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you all for the Answers. I have downloaded the ap for Flying J and I am a little more relaxed about driving into the gas station. Thanks again
rogtill61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogtill61 View Post
Thank you all for the Answers. I have downloaded the ap for Flying J and I am a little more relaxed about driving into the gas station. Thanks again
Just one comment about using the app. When you open the app, you will see prompts to Register, or Log In, or Continue as Guest. Select Continue as Guest, and then, after saying OK on the Guest Features pop-up. select RV as what you are driving. That will then take you to the map of stations, where you can filter for stations offering RV Fuel Lanes. That makes the search a lot easier. As other's have said, however, you should verify via Google Maps that the stations you are interested in are configured for RV's as indicated in the app. Safe Travels.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
You can look at google maps and that may assist you. I use a Book called "Next Exit." It shows all services, food, lodging, fuel etc. at all exits. It has a special designations for fuel stations that are RV friendly. It is mainly for the major highways.
Like Tony said, the book The Next Exit is a great tool when you are traveling. You can purchase one on Amazon, we love ours.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:11 PM   #32

I think you will find that the 35 will turn almost as quickly as the 31'c. I went the other way from a 36 A to 3o C and they are close in turning radius. After a few fills you will know at a quick glance if it is doable, and I cannot remember passing on many stations. Never had to unhook the toad, but had to wait for a shopper once that snuck into a bad spot for me.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #33

Spartan Chassis
After reading through all the previous responses I have one overlooked. If you have a Sams Club membership or even a Costco one, I have found many have easy in and out access that can accommodate Motorhomes. Another plus is they're generally the lowest priced. I always stayed on the outside islands.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #34

Don't Count on Pilot or Flying J

Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. Those "RV friendly" notes often lie, especially when what they really mean is that their RV friendly pump is the last one in a row of pumps that are 90 degrees to the buildings.

One really good place: exit 369 on I-40 just east of the intersection of I-40 and I-75. The intersection is just west of Knoxville TN. Exit 369 has multiple truck stops, truck and RV washes and oil change places, but best of all a Flying J Travel Center. It has a dump station, propane, and an EASY two-lane RV gas station. Oh, and a Denny's. The other truck stops have other restaurants, including a Popeye's, and that makes my husband happy.
Pacuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
You are correct in knowing that not all gas stations are set up with enough space for proper ingress & egress. We drive a 38' Class A, towing a Honda CRV. While I am always amazed at how maneuverable our total rig can be in tight spots such as some parking lots, we have learned that some gas stations have not oriented their pumps that makes departing from them possible. Have also learned that we cannot back up more than ~1' - so keep that in mind. When towing you go forward only!

So - we use several tools to help us out. 1st - we use the Gas Buddy app on our phones to look for the best gasoline prices ahead on our travel route.

Secondly - finding some likely stations I go to Google Maps to find exactly where they are (to make sure they are pretty much on our desired route), and then I use the Satellite and street views to judge entry and exits paths.

Have found the best stations orient their pumps to be either parallel or 45 degrees to the main office. The worst are those where the pumps are at 90 degrees - because when you need to leave you are facing straight into the office building, with not always enough space to steer towards the exit.

This advance planning has helped greatly. Also learned that many Pilots and Flying J's offer separate RV lanes which are really nice because they are built for straight thru driving, and many also offer fresh water, dump stations and even propane right there as well. But even with large truck stops I still like to use Google Maps in order to determine the best entry drive - as they often have several - some just for cars, some just for trucks, etc.

We also try and use Costco whenever possible because they often have the lowest fuel prices - though it does help to view their ingress & egress routes as each one is built differently. Really liked the Costco in Ukiah, CA as it was newer and it appeared they really learned - as they built the gas pumps well away from the main store (so you are not fighting cars in tight parking lots) and they have a large sweeping drive into and out of the pumps - really nice!
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfskeet View Post
Your need to look for North South Gas Stations. Flying J is the easiest to get into. Pilots are bad And Loves are bad. They are east west can't fit. Our MH is 36'6" towing a jeep. plus it has a rear fill. It takes planning to fit. But Flying J is the best.
We use Love’s on a regular basis without problems in a 35’ class A pulling a car. We also use Pilot/Flying J. Have both the Loves and pilot flying J app on my phone. It tells me the nearest stations and if they are RV friendly.
janrhcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #37

I had a 37 ft gasser and it was always an issue with fueling up. I planned trips around flying J because they have RV lanes. Got to be such a hassel that I traded in for a diesel and go to the truck lanes with my EPS gas card. get around 40 cents a gallon off on my fill up.
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Until you get used to it, suggest as someone else said. Pilot Flying J website or app. The have a locator you can download in Excel format. Very easy to use can filter by state, brand etc.. Basically all Flying Js have RV lanes which are a bit wider and easier to get in and out of for RV'ers
We plot them on every route. Nice to know you can get in and out easy, safe parking big enough and convenient
Poorbutrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #39

I feel your pain. I have a 36 foot Class A Tiffin towing a small pickup. Since most stations have their pumps perpendicular to the station, it is a challenge to get into many of them. Plus my fill point is at the rear of the RV on the drivers side so I need to position where the pumps are on the left side of the MH. I find that I need a station with two pumps in a row to provide me with enough length to fit me and the towed vehicle. Single pumps don't work. I also try to come in from the right side of the station and use the pumps all the way to the left. This has me facing out from the station. I also fill at 1/4 full so I'm there for some time putting in 60 gallons using the low flow pumps for cars. I also have to go into the station and prepay for gas as most pumps stop at $100 and you often can't put your card in a second time at the pump. I like Pilots and Flying J's as I get the discount. I've found many flying J's with separate pumps for RVs off to the side. They also have very long handled window squeegies.
New England is problematic as may stations are small. Haven't had many problems with stations in the south or southwest. It's a plus when I find a station with the pumps parallel to the station. Good luck
lsu4ester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurette View Post
This is from the Flying J web site. I guess in the original post I shouldn't have called it Pilot/Flying J although there are a few Pilot Travel Center locations with RV fuel lanes.
Only locations with dedicated RV fuel lanes are included in this list.

Attachment 320307
This is awesome, thanks!!

Al
Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #41

Flying J has (some do) dedicated RV lanes NOT part of the auto or truck pumps. None of the big truck places sell gasoline at the truck fillups. Avoid Marathon. They limit sales to $75, don't allow a 2nd swipe on the same pump and charge a dollar for every swipe! I carefully look at stations as we approach and if it doesn't look good I'll drive by. When I get down to 1/3 tank, I'll start looking and so far, have only been trapped once where someone with a long van parked in my escape route out of the pump. I had to wait 25 minutes for this person to do their monthly (????) shopping. So, in 2 1/2 years, that isn't all that bad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Places to gas up

Most Flying J truck stop have #RV islands that will have gas and diesel available and will handle your rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogtill61 View Post
I just upgraded to a HR Vactioner 35p from and Minnie Winnie 31g Class C motorhome. With the Class C I could get into most gas stations for unleaded gas. Now that I have gotten this rig, I am going to be heading back home next month to Michigan. I am thinking how am I going to get this rig into the same gas stations with my toad as I did with my Class C. I have stopped at the truck stops before but it seams like all the big pull thru are for diesel fuel. So what are the best gas stations to get in and out of. Thank you all for any help.
mr george is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motor, motorhome, motorhomes