Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gas stations for motorhomes

I just upgraded to a HR Vactioner 35p from and Minnie Winnie 31g Class C motorhome. With the Class C I could get into most gas stations for unleaded gas. Now that I have gotten this rig, I am going to be heading back home next month to Michigan. I am thinking how am I going to get this rig into the same gas stations with my toad as I did with my Class C. I have stopped at the truck stops before but it seams like all the big pull thru are for diesel fuel. So what are the best gas stations to get in and out of. Thank you all for any help.
rogtill61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Many members here use Google Earth to look up a station in advance if they aren’t sure.

Pilot at many locations has Gas RV lanes that are as easy to get in/out as the diesel lanes. You can use their website or app to see which ones.

When I had a 39’ gas MH with a car and dolly behind we had a few regular stations that were really tight. We found ourselves using the truck stops more often.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Get the 'gas buddy' app. it's free.

you can search near your location or your route of travel for the product you want (regular gas, premium, diesel). All the stations that meet your search criteria will show up. Then click (or touch) on the station that gets your attention. Then click 'directions'. (a small box at the top)

A map will be displayed showing you possibly several routes to get to that station. Now this is what many people don't know. DON'T click the 'start' button. Instead, take 2 of your fingers on the map and expand the map. You'll get a birds eye view of the gas station.

This procedure works on my Apple products. (Iphone, IPad). Not sure about other products.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the big name truck stops have large gas fuel islands as well, but ease of access depends on how the individual station is laid out. Some regular gas stations are as large or larger, depending on location, the local terrain, and land costs in the area. I don't think any brand of gasoline or station is universally better than others.

If possible, look for stations that have the pumps parallel to the highway rather than pointed in towards a convenience store. That type typically has better drive in/out access. Sometimes Walmarts, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. have their fuel stations out in their large parking lots, with good room around them. But sometimes not.

When we drove a large gas coach, the toughest thing for me to learn was to pass up a fuel station that looked congested or crowded. Try to size it up and identify how you will enter and leave the pump area BEFORE you pull in. If it doesn't look promising, drive on. It's not worth getting trapped in a congested station.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Like Gary I look for pumps that are parallel to the road. Most of our trips are less than 200 miles from home so I fuel up at a local place.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

We've been dealing with this situation for 10 years now with our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Getting fuel in unknown areas/cities/counties/etc. can be a bit unnerving at times. On occasion, we'll slowly pass by a potential fueling station and have a look-see to plan a tactical approach and get-a-way. That works both ways. It can tell us if it AIN'T gonna work or, we have devised a plan to make it work.

If you know your rig, and its turning and handling characteristics, you can tell from a quick glance of a situation whether or not it will work for you. We don't bother with all that looking up fuel stations, and certain brands and all that. And I have only used a truck stop ONE TIME in 10 years and was such a pain in the A$$ that I will never, ever use one again. Besides, our coach is one of those that does not accept HIGH FLOW diesel. It already gives me a lot of crap during the last 10-12 gallons of fueling anyways.

Sooooo, again, don't overthink this situation. You know your range, plan ahead. We do that often. We may pull into a campground or RV park for an evening and need fuel. But, before we hook up in the morning, I have already scoped out nearby fuel stations for angular attack and get-a-way. Oh, and price too. We have a pre-planned place for hook-up after I get fuel and, it all works great.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

My first choice is large truck stops especially when toad or car trailer is attached.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #8

I only use stations where the cars filling up are parallel to the street.
They are getting harder to find likely because there is as much money in Junk Food as there is in gas.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

Your need to look for North South Gas Stations. Flying J is the easiest to get into. Pilots are bad And Loves are bad. They are east west can't fit. Our MH is 36'6" towing a jeep. plus it has a rear fill. It takes planning to fit. But Flying J is the best.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
WDW

Get the Flying J / Pilot app. It can be filtered to show only those locations with RV lanes. Otherwise Trucker Pro is a good routing app to show you gas / truck locations but then Google maps is your friend to determine if you can navigate the station. We’ve spent hours with detailed planning for peace of mind. However i had enough and just move up to a DP - which now has it own set of headaches....
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Google is your friend....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

I find that every station be it a Flying Jay, Pilot or Loves; that they all have thier own personality and set up. Many of the new stations are RV friendly for both diesel and gas. Some stations have a RV sign on the billboard indicating RV friendly. We always use the high speed diesel fuel fill in the truck lanes. It is the fastest and easiest way of fueling.
As many have said that Google earth is your friend. Many of times I have planned my route of travel and viewed it from ground level on Google earth to see the entrance and exits of truck stops and possible rest areas.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #13

A lot of Pilot/Flying Js have dedicated RV lanes with both gas and diesel available. I printed out a listing of those with dedicated RV lanes and don't leave home without it. I have it in an XLS format. If I can convert it to something that I can attach here, I will later.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
While travelling in the states, I always have a copy of ‘the next exit’ https://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-202.../dp/0984692193
It will indicate which gas station are ‘RV friendly’ and also rest area and lots more.
My wife does the searching while I drive
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motor, motorhome, motorhomes