Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #29

We had a new 2009 Newmar Canyon Star toy hauler model which was a 40’ gasser on the common F53 Ford chassis. Traded it for a new 2017 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH DP. Night and day difference in the handling, ride quality and ease of driving. The DP is 1,000% better and easier to drive. No more wandering, fighting winds or literally getting tired hands and a right foot (could rarely use the cruise due to lack of power). With the DP we set the cruise and 70 and no downshifting just not get over an overpass or even most moderate hills. We did like and enjoyed the Canyon Star but there really is no comparison between a gasser chassis (at least our F53 version) and a DP. It’s a major price difference as well so it just depends on what you want and what you can fit into the budget. We drive more than we are parked since we aren’t retired yet and that is a big factor as well. Good luck with your choice.
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #30

My biggest problem with gas MHs is the noise. The engine is in the 'dog house' between driver and passenger. I had an Aerbus w/ a Ford V10. Too noisy! Now pulling a Montana. Better floor plan and the comfort of a 2500 HD GMC.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #31

Well.......sorry to say but our gasser is a dream to drive. Nowhere near what a DP is I’m sure but still a dream. Perhaps because it’s Workhorse chassis w/8.1L. Dunno. No suspension or steering upgrades. It’s also amazingly quiet, no problems holding a conversation with the copilot or passengers behind(we did come from an ‘82 Georgie Boy gasser that was horrible in every way!). We only know what we like and this baby fits our bill!!
DP vs gasser is apples vs oranges.
Peace and have fun!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #32

Added Air Tabs to my 1999 Pace Vision. Drove like a completely different vehicle. Truck's don't bother hardly at all!! Can drive it for hours on end and not feel tired. No fighting the wheel any more!!
roy wohlsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove my 31' class A and found the experience just horrific. The vehicle was extremely wind sensitive and just a passing truck would cause you have to make a steering correction. I was exhausted after 100 mile of a white knuckled grip on the wheel.
Tried all kinds of things to correct the problem.. changed the steering stabilizer It had IFS. Changed the tires and verified the tire pressures Dealers and front end people were no help Alignment was on spec. I even installed higher rate front springs All to no joy.
Then on a camping trip I saw one just like mind different brand but the same workhouse chassis. The owner told me his has the same problems just tiring to drive. He pointed out I was working on the wrong end, I had a case of the tail wagging the dog. He recommended I install a track bar the to rear axle.
I ordered one and put on when I got home. Then took it out for a test drive. It was fixed. Still did not drive like a Cady but was greatly improved. Wish I had met him a lot earlier as it would have saved me a great deal on money.
druidcat1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
I just picked up. 2014 Tiffin Red 38 . It roads good , but not as good as my previous Travel Supreme Select 45, but who would expect it to. I did notice when I came upon a gasser going down the road it was usually all over the road. I would wait until it seemed to settle down before I would pass it. Probably they were not all lousy drivers but driving a rig that wanders like Gypsy wagon.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #35

After two Winnebago DPs I'm now in a new 2019 Newmar Canyon Star V10 F53 chassis (26K lbs).
There is a big difference in ride but I knew that going in. With 11,000 miles on the F53 so far, I'm happy enough with the ride and power. I wish the glasser had a smoother ride, more torque and tighter steering but 30 cents per gallon difference, cheaper maintenance costs and more places that will work on them. A DP is far superior to the gasser but this is the floor plan I wanted and that was more important.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:36 AM   #36

My old Bounder gasser wandered all over the road, which is why I wouldn't go over 60 mph. My Gulfstream diesel with air suspension handles very well and the ride is better too. I loved my old Bounder, because it had everthing I needed except that screaming Ford V10. I love my Gulfstream far more, because it goes beyond everything I ever wanted in a Motor Coach.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It’s all about your personal preferences. This is a free country (last time I checked it still was!), you can pick & choose what tickles your fancy.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by druidcat1115 View Post
I drove my 31' class A and found the experience just horrific. The vehicle was extremely wind sensitive and just a passing truck would cause you have to make a steering correction. I was exhausted after 100 mile of a white knuckled grip on the wheel.
Tried all kinds of things to correct the problem.. changed the steering stabilizer It had IFS. Changed the tires and verified the tire pressures Dealers and front end people were no help Alignment was on spec. I even installed higher rate front springs All to no joy.
Then on a camping trip I saw one just like mind different brand but the same workhouse chassis. The owner told me his has the same problems just tiring to drive. He pointed out I was working on the wrong end, I had a case of the tail wagging the dog. He recommended I install a track bar the to rear axle.
I ordered one and put on when I got home. Then took it out for a test drive. It was fixed. Still did not drive like a Cady but was greatly improved. Wish I had met him a lot earlier as it would have saved me a great deal on money.
I totally agree with you! Out of all the suspension upgrades I did, my Super Steer track bar had the most impact, followed by the Firestone ride right, rear airbags and then the alignment. The front sway bar was a slight improvement, the steering stabilizer was just better when hitting ruts in the road.

I also think all of this sloppy steering depends on the height of your rig and how much overhang you have after the rear wheels!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #39

There's something called a SafeTplus. It's like an add-on stabilizer. It's amazing how much it helps. A bit pricey but what isn't on a motorhome. It will save your arms and your temper.
kssme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:47 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin allegro Red has a 32-33 ft that is nice. A lot of recent used ones for sale.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #41

I think if I ever trade up I will most likely buy a super C freight liner on M2 chassis. Reading all the post on these, most like the handling and ride right out of the dealer. But I would take it for a lengthy test drive first. The problem with test drives is you can’t recreate every condition in a 30 min drive. And that’s about the max ive done when buying my last 3 rigs. Next time I’m sure the salesmen will be trying to stop me but I’m looking to do an hour or more!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove a Bounder and Discovery LXE on the same day on I10 in AZ with probably 25 MPH winds out of the south. We close the Discovery LXE...
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas