Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Gas vs. diesel

Still in the “research phase” of MH aquisition and collecting thoughts/opinions on fuel comparisons for units used sparingly throughout the year. Have bumped into several opinions,but not all in 1 spot for evaluation.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks
Mclemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclemm View Post
Still in the “research phase” of MH aquisition and collecting thoughts/opinions on fuel comparisons for units used sparingly throughout the year. Have bumped into several opinions, but not all in 1 spot for evaluation.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks
Well what unit are you looking at? Class A, Class B (like a sprinter, Van) or Class C, or Super C?
If you use your unit sparingly, is the cost of Fuel and fuel economy a deal breaker?
How much weight are you loading and/or pulling?
Is the Purchase Price of the Unit an issue?
Are you OK with not being able to visit ALL Campgrounds? some Motor home parks allow ONLY motorhomes like Class A's, no Class C's, No Class B's, no Travel trailers and no 5th Wheels. Some Campgrounds look at the Age of your RV and Length. Some parks have a 10 yr age limitation (subject to management discretion) and minimum length of 31-32 feet.

So...hope this get's you going in the right/necessary direction. Good luck
Old 05-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

If only used sparingly, a gas coach is the best bang for the buck. A Gasser is less costly to buy, maintain, insure, etc. It's easier to drive, easier to service, and offers the same view as a $2,000,000 Newell when parked. There is no justifiable reason to have a DP for a sparingly used motorhome unless you need to tow something heavier than what a Gas coach can handle. With that said, it all depends on what the buyer wants. The "WANTS" quite often override logic and what's practical. But then, who said any motorhome was practical.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

Diesels are better. If they weren't, millions of farmers would have gas powered equipment.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Diesels are better. If they weren't, millions of farmers would have gas powered equipment.
Diesels are better in many ways, however, for a small family roadside farm market that has limited need for a high powered, high cost diesel tractor, he is more efficient with a mid sized gas tractor. It's like driving a 1 ton dually truck when a 1/2 ton is more practical for just going to town for groceries? Much like only occasional use of a motorhome.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

You are correct that a small B size RV would be more economical with a gas engine. But a diesel would likely be better in a giant Class A 36 footer with 2 slides, weighing in at 26,000 to 30,000 lbs pulling a 4,000 lb car.

Of course I'm looking at it from a full timers point-of-view and though maintenance might be slightly more expensive on a diesel, they're also simpler and less likely to have major engine problems. Plus they're happy to sit for months and will start right up when you want them too even when doing the minimum of maintenance. A gasser tends to be less reliable when it sits for long periods.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #7

We both have valid points. When I look back on our first 32 and 34' Class A's, I still had a business to run, we could only use the MH occasionally and a one month winter trip. It was easy to drive for my wife, had plenty of room and power to tow our 4,000# mini van. We eventually went to a DP after we had three months to travel, but the gas coach was the most practical for our earlier needs.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #8

Definitely class A
2015 or newer
Mclemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone who tells you “gas is better than diesel” or “diesel is better than gas”, is telling you what is best for them.

Gas and diesel are different, and only you can decide what is best for you. Each has pros and cons with respect to the other. There are no rational, objective criteria by which either can be judged better than the other.

There are lots of unbiased reviews and videos that explain the differences so you can consider which are important (and not) for you, helping you make the decision. Google is your friend.

For my wife and I, the best coach is a Tiffin gasser. We love it. We don’t intend to go full time. We tow a 4500 lb Jeep. We generally take two long trips per year (4 to 8 weeks, 3000 or more miles) plus shorter outings closer to home.

We considered a diesel, but chose the gasser after a lot of consideration. Your personal calculus may produce a different result. Enjoy the learning process and don’t rush it! That way, once you do make a decision you’ll know it’s the right one.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #10

We made our decision based upon floor plan, and it ended up a diesel.

We looked at four models, two gas and two diesel, a combination of Newmar and Tiffin. While we were in the coach I told my wife to act like she is living in it. Move around in the kitchen, the bathroom, sit and watch TV, open cabinets, etc. etc. etc.

I knew all the specs and features, but wanted her to "live in it" for about 30-45 minutes to see which one she felt most comfortable. We ended up with the RV in my signature line and we both state that after 3 or so years of research we made the best choice that fits us and the floor plan that we both love.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #11

I would love a diesel. It is certainly a better machine technically. However, it requires an different budget. So much so that I would have to PROVE to myself that it was necessary. If you're putting under 10k miles a year on (most of us), it isn't necessary. It would be nice, but not necessary.

We're happy knowing we made the right choice for us, and that it is PAID for!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclemm View Post
Definitely class A
2015 or newer
You mean DP 2007 or older
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #13

Gas vs diesel - and the discussion continues on snd on. Both are good, with one being designed more the long haul, long term user and is diesel. However, there is ind caveat to test, and it is operating cost and cost for mechanical breakdowns. Gas - it gets you there in z as bout the same amount of time with (maybe) s bit more fuel consumption. It may not bd an “ air ride” setup, but isn’t bad and can be modified for s better rude and handling experience. Also, if is s lot cheaper to operate. When we decided to upgrade from an MBS Sprinter , we looked at both diesel snd gas units. We did not want a 40’ plus unit and really did not see a layout we like. And, I did not like the “Las Vegas” layout of lights and bling. We settled on a Tiffin 32SA that is open, bright, and easy to drive and less expensive to operate year to year. We did do a major suspension upgrade to improve the handling and ride snd it still came in cheaper than a used Do. If, and this is a big if, I was going to spend all my time on the road, hauling s heavy load, then I Woukd go suffer. ZDP that did not exceed 40’ in length. I am very pleased with my Tiffin gasser and it goes everything that I ask if it.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #14

Future of RV-ing is doomed

Article with one person’s opinion regarding the future of Motorhomes, current administration policy and all the talk about limited fossil fuel in favor of Electric.

https://www.rvtravel.com/future-rving-doomed1002/

P.S. probably should be a new thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D12E90B-D533-49B7-BA65-F0B27328B9E4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	330098  

Tags
diesel, gas