Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
I have to chime in on this because I am having the same debate right now. My current coach is a 2010/11 gasser we purchased 6 years ago. No real complaints, like the layout, absolutely hate the ride. Made a bunch of ride improvements but still hate it. I do all of my own regular maintenance but recently brought it in to a local mechanic for an ac check. He told me to stay away from the diesels to my surprise. Said they are a pain to work on and expensive repairs. Of course, just one man’s opinion. I am considering a newer gas coach versus a 5 to 10 year old diesel. They are priced about the same. I have some test drives coming up including a liquid springs system. That may just change my mind because I was convinced that only a diesel would satisfy my quest for a nice ride. I’d like to keep this next coach for ten years but worry about buying an older diesel that could need a bunch of things right after purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #44

Jayco Owners Club
You need to beware of what you’re buying when looking at 2006 to about 2009 model year coaches. The federal EPA tightened up emission standards on diesel engines beginning in October, 2006. That applied to diesel engines manufactured after that date. Some of the OEMs stocked up on inventory so that they could delay the introduction of the new engines that had a more complex emission control. The pre-2006 engines were considered more reliable and generally preferred. You need to also consider how many miles you’re going to put on in a year. Diesels do not like to sit idle for long periods of time. Neither do gasoline engines, but diesel repairs are considerably more costly than gasoline.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #45

I used to be a strict gasser, but we now have a 06 Tiffin Phaeton DP with a 330hp Cat C7 on a Frieghtliner chassis and Allison trans. Our previous class a was a 1998 Bounder 34v on a F-53 with a Ford 460 V8 with a Banks Kit.
My wife and I can now hold a normal conversation without shouting. The ride is as smooth as glass with no idea we have a 2016 Wrangler behind us. We had Bounder for 14 years and had good times with the coach. But at 72 it's about the quality and lack of problems in the ride to our destination. My one suggestion is go pre DEF.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #46

I have owned 3 DP in the past. My last was a 2004 Country Coach 42’ DP. The repairs were so expensive. Now i have a 2014 Winnebago adventurer 37f gas F53. We just got back from a 4000 mile trip to Rushmore and Yellowstone. I climbed 3 mountain passes. One as high as 9600 feet. Then a 8700 and a 8200. Going up and down was no problem. We saw 6,7 and 8 % grades. The engine and trans did a great job holding down the speed with just tapping the brakes every so often. I also installed the five star performance tune. It works great.
When was comparing this coach with a 2011 DP. Good SAM ESP was $115 per month on the gas and $342 per month on the DP. That should tell you what they think the repairs will cost on each. An older DP or a newer gas.
Buy the gas
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega3410 View Post
Good morning..

I'm looking at getting a new to us motorhome.. Currently we have a 04 winnebago adventurer with 8.1 L in it. I personally don't like it. Struggles at any small incline. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I can buy a used diesel about the same year I currently own or something many years newer if I get gas..

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Is mileage better than gas? Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach?
without a doubt at least for us. We live in Washington, lots of 5% 6% grades on freeways and we tow a 6,000 SUV. Also use real truck stop pumps. If you get a diesel pusher the ride is comfortable and quiet.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Good morning..

I'm looking at getting a new to us motorhome.. Currently we have a 04 winnebago adventurer with 8.1 L in it. I personally don't like it. Struggles at any small incline. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I can buy a used diesel about the same year I currently own or something many years newer if I get gas..

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Is mileage better than gas? Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach?
Apparently you are not driving correctly with the 8.1 as that is what I had plus the Alison tyranny ran up hills like crazy. I would see the hill and get up speed then as I slowed down I would use the gears and by the time I got to the top I was doing 50
Diesels are good as engine in rear is quieter however fuel is more expensive and costly, maintenance is higher plus some campgrounds don't allow 40 footers. I would reconsider and stay with 8.1
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #49

Diesel or diesel

There are 2 camps in the motor home field. Those that have a diesel and those that wish they did.
Phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Apparently you are not driving correctly with the 8.1 as that is what I had plus the Alison tyranny ran up hills like crazy. I would see the hill and get up speed then as I slowed down I would use the gears and by the time I got to the top I was doing 50
Diesels are good as engine in rear is quieter however fuel is more expensive and costly, maintenance is higher plus some campgrounds don't allow 40 footers. I would reconsider and stay with 8.1
CGs not allowing >40 ft is hardly a valid argument against DPs. They are not all 40+ and that makes no sense.
I've had both and no question our current 34 DP will get my vote hands down vs the prior 31 gasser on performance, drivability and comfort while on the road.
Also agree the Allison tranny is great but the current Alu 3000 is head & shoulders better than the old Alu 1000.
Gassers are great when parked!
Agree with Phanton 13!

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #51

Diesel

I don't have a motor coach but my Ram 3500 cruises at 1500 RPM and has all the torque I will ever need. I NEVER worry about pulling into the wind or uphill. Diesel is the way to go.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas vs diesel

You didn’t say how many miles are on your 8.1, or if it’s been tuned-up.
It’s unbelievable what new plugs and wires do for this beast. Go with iridium plugs and the best wires you can find. All for about $200.00 if you do it yourself.
Worth it even if you do trade it off.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #53

I can only speak from a truck and fifth wheel point of view. Besides the initial cost of a diesel everything is more expensive, insurance, maintenance, tires sooner, fuel, and you name it it costs more. Diesel does get much better mileage based on percentage. The more you drive you can recover the extra cost in fuel. I don't know if you can drive enough to ever recover the other additional costs. However in every driving aspect diesel is much better. Less noise from the engine because it is working less. I can run with my cruise on at times. Never could do that with a gas engine without a lot of noise and shifting back and forth. Engine break with a diesel is great. Mine has two settings, brake applies immediately as I let off the diesel (gas) pedal or applies when I touch the brake pedal. Either way is a great help. I use the immediate mode when driving in traffic. I have been told a gas class A is worn out between 50,000 and 75,000 miles because they are constantly at work. While a gas truck should last longer because they are not constantly straining. I would never go back to gas. That is what my car is for,
now.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #54

I have an 03 yukon xl 2500 with the 8.1. Was a dog pulling my 11k camper. But then I added headers, raylar towing cam, raylar adjustable rockers, the "intake mod", a cold air intake and a black bear tune. Night and day difference. The 8.1 has a lot of potential.
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #55

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I have owned 3 DP in the past. My last was a 2004 Country Coach 42’ DP. The repairs were so expensive. Now i have a 2014 Winnebago adventurer 37f gas F53. We just got back from a 4000 mile trip to Rushmore and Yellowstone. I climbed 3 mountain passes. One as high as 9600 feet. Then a 8700 and a 8200. Going up and down was no problem. We saw 6,7 and 8 % grades. The engine and trans did a great job holding down the speed with just tapping the brakes every so often. I also installed the five star performance tune. It works great.
When was comparing this coach with a 2011 DP. Good SAM ESP was $115 per month on the gas and $342 per month on the DP. That should tell you what they think the repairs will cost on each. An older DP or a newer gas.
Buy the gas
I want to add that i am towing a 5000# toad up and down those mountains. Also i had the coach serviced before leaving. Both engine and genset with Mobil one oil, new filters and lube. Total cost $127. Try that with a diesel. Average mileage including mountains is 6.71. NO DEF.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #56

Gas vs diesel

Quote:
Good morning..

OPINION

YES, YES & YES

We had a 1999 Pace Arrow, Chevy Work Horse chassic, 454 engine, no problems we loved it. It was to be of our final coach. Was not looking to change.

My brother-in-law tells me about diesel that a friend has been trying to sell. We go look at it (150 miles away). I fall in love with it, my only downside is its two slideouts, I view a slideout as a maintenance issue, no matter the brand OPINION.

This was about 2017 the prospective new to use coach is a RexHall Roseair 2000 year model with a Cummins 8.3 L ISC engine coupled to an Allison 6 speed transmission. This combo produces 8.9 mpg actual consumption towing my 4200 lbs truck at 60 - 65 mph.

The first thing you will notice it is SIGNIFICANTLY quiter in the cockpit. Handing and breaking iimproved.

So far the slideouts have not been a problem, but I still don't like them.

PS
Don't touch a DEF engine with 100' pole!!!
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas