Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #85

Pre-emissions vs 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Low mileage is one thing...but a pre-emission diesel now is at least fifteen years old.
Then the real question here is do you purchase a quality built coach that is 15+ years old with a proven powertrain or do you purchase a new or nearly new coach, pooŕly constructed with a failure prone powertrain?

To me the decision was easy. Quality and proven track record.

Would you purchase well built home in a good neighborhood that was 15 years old?
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reading through this seems the cost of maintenance is common negative for owning a diesel motorhome. I guess if you are not willing to spend or can't afford what takes to maintain a diesel coach you should stay with a gas coach.

Major engine repairs can easily be between 20 and 30 thousand dollars for a complete engine build. I believe you need to have access to those funds just in case you need them. I wouldn't want to have a major repair a couple of thousands of miles from home without the funds to fix it. If I owned money on the coach I won't want to make the payments and not being able to fix it.

Once a year or 15,000 miles I bring my coach to Freightliner and runs around $850 for complete service of the engine, generator, magnetic plug inspection, and safety inspection. To me, the cost is worth the rewards of driving a DP.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:22 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Then the real question here is do you purchase a quality built coach that is 15+ years old with a proven powertrain or do you purchase a new or nearly new coach, pooŕly constructed with a failure prone powertrain?

To me the decision was easy. Quality and proven track record.

Would you purchase well built home in a good neighborhood that was 15 years old?
That's a ludicrous comparison.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:26 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Reading through this seems the cost of maintenance is common negative for owning a diesel motorhome. I guess if you are not willing to spend or can't afford what takes to maintain a diesel coach you should stay with a gas coach.
No, not maintenance. Potential huge-dollar emission system repairs! One exhaust filter can top ten thousand dollars. Many have two. A failed CP4 injection pump can also top $10K-more if replacing the fuel system (everything-tank to injectors, and frequently eating core charges) requires major disassembly.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:10 AM   #89

15 year-old diesel....

Quote:
Low mileage is one thing...but a pre-emission diesel now is at least fifteen years old.
Greetings Everyone!

This is certainly an interesting and off-debated topic.

We own a 2006 Winnebago View Class C. It is built on a 2005 Sprinter chassis with a pre-DEF 2.7L 5-cylinder turbo diesel. Yes, the motor is 16 years old. We just surpassed 100K miles and had a major service including the transmission completed. It now runs better than ever and we are ready for the next 100K miles! People laugh when I call it a diesel pusher... diesel motor pushing the coach via the rear wheels.

The tech who completed our motor's front-end overhaul drives a 2002 Sprinter with the same motor and he has over a million miles on his. He said he routinely services older Sprinters with 400-500k miles on them. So, IMO, age of a motor is not important if it is well maintained. If gas motors in large, heavy vehicles were so much better than diesels, wouldn't the nation's long-haul trucks and train engines be running on gasoline?

As a retired Air Force pilot, I chuckle when people talk about the age of vehicles. There are B-52s flying today that my dad flew in the 60s and the jets I flew during DESERT STORM in 1991 were built in 1969. The key is good routine maintenance. My previous 2005 VW Jetta TDI is still on the road and going strong with a friend at 250,000+ miles and is no more difficult to maintain than the gas model.

BTW, Mercedes implemented DEF emissions control systems with their 2010 models.

Happy Trails,

Paul and Christine G.
06 Winnebago View 23H in NW FL
Guzowskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #90

Greetings folks,
This is another great thread debate, but again I have yet to see someone qualify "Higher Maintenance Cost" for a diesel.

Our situation is similar however we are considering our 1st. coach, can't really say how many miles annually, but we are retired and plan to travel for several months at a time, especially when the cold weather comes to the north east, and looking in the 30 foot range, there just doesn't seem to be as large a selection of DPs as there is gas at that length, granted I'm a noob and have only been looking for a few months but still really need to know the dollars and cents of diesel.
santanig5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #91

I guess I am the opposite of most people here when it comes to coach types.
Years ago, I went from a 1995 Foretravel Grand Villa 250 CAT 3116 / 6 Speed Allison to a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 315 Cummins Freightliner Chassis. In addition, I have also had several antique coaches as well.
I have since "upgraded" the Monaco to a more modern 2017 F53 22K chassis gasser. It is nicer and more modern than any of my previous coaches. I personally find my gasser to be very quiet and a good driving coach. Maybe I got lucky or something but I have no handling issues or noise complaints regarding my F53 chassis like others here.
I've done my share of diesel mechanic work in my day and I do not miss it. Especially the nastiness and smell of pulling an injector pump or head. I love the simplicity and built in reliability of my gasser. My wife loves the floorplan and modern feel of the interior. We couldn't be happier.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No, not maintenance. Potential huge-dollar emission system repairs! One exhaust filter can top ten thousand dollars. Many have two. A failed CP4 injection pump can also top $10K-more if replacing the fuel system (everything-tank to injectors, and frequently eating core charges) requires major disassembly.
You quote half the quote because of the part you didn't quote. Like I said if you can't afford to repair a diesel then go with GAS.

Here is the other half of the quote:
"Major engine repairs can easily be between 20 and 30 thousand dollars for a complete engine build. I believe you need to have access to those funds just in case you need them. I wouldn't want to have a major repair a couple of thousands of miles from home without the funds to fix it. If I owned money on the coach I won't want to make the payments and not being able to fix it."
Old 09-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Like I said if you can't afford to repair a diesel then go with GAS.
[/U]
It's not a matter of affordability. It's a matter of simplicity and dependability. I don't wish to be somewhere near Terlingua, Texas and have issues that require a modern diesel emission part to fix. I like to keep my coach simple, dependable and on the road.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #94

I dont think there is any right or wrong answer here. it is best to get what will work for your requirements. If you travel long distances and are full time of close to full time then I would suggest DP. If you stay closer to home and travel only for vacations then most gas MH's work great. That being said there are many that full time in gas coaches and many that go DP that on do vacations. So get what makes you happy and enjoy the travel.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #95

We’re in the ditch as to the OP’s questions. Although he departed about 60 posts ago, he is towing two different trailers that exceed the towing capacity of most, if not all, gas coaches. A newer gas coach isn’t going to help him one bit.

He needs a diesel.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
It's not a matter of affordability. It's a matter of simplicity and dependability. I don't wish to be somewhere near Terlingua, Texas and have issues that require a modern diesel emission part to fix. I like to keep my coach simple, dependable and on the road.

That’s why I have a pre emissions DP. LOVE Terlingua btw. Liked it more back when it was closer to being an actual ghost town though.
Last time we went I flat-towed my 7,000lb 4wd Excursion and was averaging 8 mpg at 80 mph on I10. We’re going on 4 years with this 19-year-old updated rig and love it. It has been pretty much trouble free so far. Knock on wood.

The argument of gas versus diesel is kind of like the argument of Chevrolet versus Ford. there’s no right answer across the board.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
That is why I have Coachnet to get to the repair facility.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by keastab View Post
Depends on your rv travels really, If you do a lot of traveling then yep diesel is the way to go. but if you do short and just a couple trips then Gas is the best option since maintenance on a diesels is a lot more than gas and diesels hate sitting around. Gas you can park for a year turn off the batteries and every once in a while start the genset and coach and be good. not so forgiving on the diesel. Diesels ride better (generally speaking) have more grunt for hills and cost a bunch more. I actually went the other way from diesel TO gas since my rv travels are now only about 6 trips a year and decided the 1500-2500 could be better spent on interior luxuries since I have already put upgraded (chipped ECU +57hp 100fp more torque and +2mpg average with cat delete), custom Air ride and sway bars on my gas rig to work exactly like a diesels would. Maintenance cost for me is about 250 per year for oil filters and greasing, plus a thorough check of all systems. oh and 9.7 mpg (9.0+ with the toad) helps too on a 36ft rig after doing all my upgrades. I'm still ahead of the diesel I sold by about 10 k so far and getting further ahead every year I don't have to pay stupid money for diesel maintenance.
You have that backwards IMO. A diesel engine can sit for years without being moved/started. Not so for a gas engine, the piston rings and cylinders will rust; result is a stuck engine.
I once bought a Case diesel tractor that had been sitting in a fence-row so long a 4" diameter tree was growing through the frame. I drained the fuel tank, strained out the water, installed a new battery, started the engine and drove it home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas