Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You have that backwards IMO. A diesel engine can sit for years without being moved/started. Not so for a gas engine, the piston rings and cylinders will rust; result is a stuck engine.
I once bought a Case diesel tractor that had been sitting in a fence-row so long a 4" diameter tree was growing through the frame. I drained the fuel tank, strained out the water, installed a new battery, started the engine and drove it home.
The exact same thing can happen to a diesel. I have seen both started after sitting for years.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Why is the comparison not valid.

It is my OPINION that a combination of government regulations and a RV industry plagued with shoddy products have produced unhappy consumers.
Because a motorhome is not a house.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #115
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. In 2007, diesels became finicky, fragile, and expensive.
I believe that was 2008 as I had a 2007 Cummings and it was wonderfull and had a 2 level Jake brake - I could go down a steep hill in my 40 footer and apply the Jaske Brake to it's second seting and almost come to a stop without using the service brakes. That alone made the unit better than my gas coaches.
I could use any type of fuel in it without any additives.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #116

There are hills and then there are HILLS. We made a couple of climbs and descents during the last week or so which would not have been any fun at all in a rig without exhaust brakes.
Lolo pass in Montana/Idaho and the climb out of Austin and down the other side in Nevada. -Paul
Old 09-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #117

Gas vs diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Why is the comparison not valid.

It is my OPINION that a combination of government regulations and a RV industry plagued with shoddy products have produced unhappy consumers.
Edit:
Sorry I got mixed up on who made this statement I agree with it though.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #118

A pre-emissions DP will in fact have a dated looking interior, But all of that can be changed a little at a time as one can afford it or has time. I got lucky and ours had been updated before we bought it. There have to be other ones out there like that. We probably looked at 100 rigs at consignment lots before we bought this one which happened to be 15 minutes away. There are a whole bunch of crappy ones out there for sure.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #119

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
No, not a "complete engine build". An exhaust filter. One part that does not even require opening the hood to replace. Owning a modern diesel is like playing Russian roulette with your bank account.
I will consider that with my next purchase. Since owning a gas coach isn't playing Russian Roulette with my checkbook or is it.

It all comes down to what you are will to pay to play or what you can afford. Don't put yourself in a position that you can afford 5,000 dollar gas coach repair or a 30,000 diesel coach repair. Either way if you are 1,000 miles from home you are in the same predicament
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega3410 View Post
Good morning..

I'm looking at getting a new to us motorhome.. Currently we have a 04 winnebago adventurer with 8.1 L in it. I personally don't like it. Struggles at any small incline. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I can buy a used diesel about the same year I currently own or something many years newer if I get gas..

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Is mileage better than gas? Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach?

New Diesel and by that I mean anything 2008 or newer are JUNK.
The engineers have turned GREAT DIESEL engines into giant piles of JUNK
They have so many problems with DPF and DEF systems it so sad.

Stick with 2008 or older Diesel MH or Gas V-10 motor

The New V-8 gas motors are also BIG PROBLEMS
They did not test this motor and now they have big problems with this new motor.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
New Diesel and by that I mean anything 2008 or newer are JUNK.
The engineers have turned GREAT DIESEL engines into giant piles of JUNK
They have so many problems with DPF and DEF systems it so sad.

Stick with 2008 or older Diesel MH or Gas V-10 motor

They did not test this motor and now they have big problems with this new motor.
Please don't say that around my 2013 ISL 450. I just don't want it to hear what a bad engine it is. It runs perfect, has good power and gets good economy. Had one DEF sensor go bad, but no big deal. Nice and clean exhaust with no smoke or smell. 78,000 miles and ready for another trip. I just hope it starts.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #122

Quote:

.......The New V-8 gas motors are also BIG PROBLEMS

What “BIG PROBLEMS” are you talking about? Only problem I know of with the new 7.3 gas engines is spark plug wires. Thats a very MINOR problem that’s easily resolved.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #123

Quote:
As far as the gassers go... I would stick with a 2016 or newer chassis so as to get the 6 speed. The new 7.3L V8 had spark plug wire issues at first. I am not aware of any others problems with that engine.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
As far as the gassers go... I would stick with a 2016 or newer chassis so as to get the 6 speed. The new 7.3L V8 had spark plug wire issues at first. I am not aware of any others problems with that engine.
My 2008 gasser had a Allison 6 speed. Not only was the engine/trans better, but the chassis seemed better as well vs Ford’s option
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #125

And the debate continues. Thread starter has long departed. I think it all boils Dow towbar you are most comfortable with and can afford based o what is important to you in a coach. I’m turning my gasser in for a DP next week as we spend all my time in western mountains and a V10 just doesn’t do the job that well going up an especially down - tow haul or not. Not to mention the 4 mpg I got at times and the 5.7 mpg I got for a 3000 mile trip last month.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
And the debate continues. Thread starter has long departed. I think it all boils Dow towbar you are most comfortable with and can afford based o what is important to you in a coach. I’m turning my gasser in for a DP next week as we spend all my time in western mountains and a V10 just doesn’t do the job that well going up an especially down - tow haul or not. Not to mention the 4 mpg I got at times and the 5.7 mpg I got for a 3000 mile trip last month.
Thats the most honest post I have ever seen about a heavy class A gasser. It it certainly right in line with the mileage I was getting with my 09' Pace Arrow.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas