Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Gas vs diesel

Good morning..

I'm looking at getting a new to us motorhome.. Currently we have a 04 winnebago adventurer with 8.1 L in it. I personally don't like it. Struggles at any small incline. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I can buy a used diesel about the same year I currently own or something many years newer if I get gas..

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Is mileage better than gas? Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach?
vega3410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #2

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Yes…. Longevity of the coach, power/torque

Is mileage better than gas? Not sure but my DP gets 8.3 MPG

Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach? Yes if you buy a higher end quality coach. Our Beaver is 19 years old and still going strong.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #3

I just switched from gas to diesel. I bought an older one with lots of miles so I was expecting to fix things as I go. For the most part it's a pretty solid rig. The fuel mileage is better for sure, even with my boost down from what it should be it pulls better on the hills too and I don't get pushed around by the semis when they go by like I did in my gas job.

The maintenance is a lot different and costs more, lots of oil to get rid of if you're doing the service yourself along with more filters to worry about. I'm an old car guy and am quite comfortable around turbo motors but never was interested in diesels until I bought this one so it's a bit of a learning curve but they are pretty simple to work on once you get to know how they work and what their querks are.
In the end I won't be going back to a gas job. Another nice thing about them is the distance you can travel before filling up, for me it's at least two to one and I start looking when I hit 1/2 a tank.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As long as you're prepared for higher maintenance and repair costs on the diesel, then that's definitely the way I would go! I love being able to carry on a normal conversation with my wife or listen to music without the roar of an engine under my feet, and the ride is wonderful!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

for me,and i think you need to consider this,how many miles will you rack up.in my case i'm not a full timer and it will probably be lucky to see 5k in a year,i just could not justify the cost of a diesel.difference between like models one gas one diesel were about 15k more for diesel.diesel will get better milage but right now diesel here is 25 cents more per gallon,to even break even i would need a minimum of 65-70k miles.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega3410 View Post
Good morning..

I'm looking at getting a new to us motorhome.. Currently we have a 04 winnebago adventurer with 8.1 L in it. I personally don't like it. Struggles at any small incline. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I can buy a used diesel about the same year I currently own or something many years newer if I get gas..

Is the diesel added costs worth it? Is mileage better than gas? Does it make sense to buy a 15 year old diesel coach?
I once had what you have now and I can see why you don't like it. You will like a pusher and if you can find a quality older one ( Monaco, Beaver, Tiffin Bus, etc..) in the mid 2000's that has been well cared for you would be fine. Obviously these may need some things to be upgraded but once done they have a long life and the coaches are quality. I also had a 2014 Itasca on a F53 and got rid of that because quality inside and out was not what I expected let alone it was gutless and noisy. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
for me,and i think you need to consider this,how many miles will you rack up.in my case i'm not a full timer and it will probably be lucky to see 5k in a year,i just could not justify the cost of a diesel.difference between like models one gas one diesel were about 15k more for diesel.diesel will get better milage but right now diesel here is 25 cents more per gallon,to even break even i would need a minimum of 65-70k miles.
That's exactly what I struggle with.. we are going to drive approximately 3-5000 miles a year and dollar for dollar I can get a significantly newer coach in gas vs diesel..
Old 09-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

I’ve owned 2 gasser and 1 diesel yes they both can get there at the same time but it’s how you get there. It’s to each their own if the extra cost is worth it.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If you didn't like the GM 8.1 platform your other choice is the Ford F53 platform. Better or worse? Gas or diesel? There's probably no less than a few hundred posts here debating these two topics. Don't expect some miracle on fuel mileage or power gains between the V10 or the 8.1. They're really about the same, although it could be argued the Allison transmission on the GM platform is superior to Fords. Again, there's no lack of information here regarding your question.
My advice? Test drive a bunch of those "newer" F53 gas rigs. I mean really test drive them, in the wind on the highway at speed, on hills, let semis pass you, downhill hard braking under a load etc...
Then test drive a quality built DP in the same circumstances.
Again, hundreds of posts here identifying which DP coaches are highly regarded as quality built. Remember, newer isn't always better.
Only you can decide what's right for you.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I switched from a very capable but noisy 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss (duramax) class "C" to a 2004 Pace Arrow 37c gasser class "A", and I could not be happier.
The DW does not have to slither down into the cockpit anymore and with a coating of "kilmat" under the floor and dog house we can carry on a conversation @ 65 MPH.
The Seneca could pull better, but in the 6 years we had it, the maintenance and fuel cost were much higher, for our trips from Colorado to Florida and back.
Plus, the wind noise finally got to us and we traded her in. The Ultra RV ECM /TCM seems to help the Pace Arrow quite a bit, and she sure is a whole lot quieter, IMO, AND we will never be stranded with a DEF failure.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega3410 View Post
That's exactly what I struggle with.. we are going to drive approximately 3-5000 miles a year and dollar for dollar I can get a significantly newer coach in gas vs diesel..
There’s been a great deal of junk put on the market over the past 10 years. Both gas and diesel, from all the big names. Just read some of those forums if you have doubts. I’d reconsider the urge to go newer.

What do you plan to tow? A gas Class A will likely have a maximum towing capacity of 5000lbs. They also tend to tip the scales at GVWR quite easily and typically have smaller fuel and holding tanks compared to a diesel.

My guess is, if you don’t like your 2004 gas coach, you’re probably not going to like a 2014 or 2016 gas coach either. Take a good look at some 2009 or earlier pre-DEF diesel coaches.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
If you didn't like the GM 8.1 platform your other choice is the Ford F53 platform. Better or worse? Gas or diesel? There's probably no less than a few hundred posts here debating these two topics. Don't expect some miracle on fuel mileage or power gains between the V10 or the 8.1. They're really about the same, although it could be argued the Allison transmission on the GM platform is superior to Fords. Again, there's no lack of information here regarding your question.
My advice? Test drive a bunch of those "newer" F53 gas rigs. I mean really test drive them, in the wind on the highway at speed, on hills, let semis pass you, downhill hard braking under a load etc...
Then test drive a quality built DP in the same circumstances.
Again, hundreds of posts here identifying which DP coaches are highly regarded as quality built. Remember, newer isn't always better.
Only you can decide what's right for you.
This is our 2nd coach.. our 1st was 01 Damon with the older v10. Personally I felt that had more power.. made it up hills better and towed my trailer better..
Old 09-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
There’s been a great deal of junk put on the market over the past 10 years. Both gas and diesel, from all the big names. Just read some of those forums if you have doubts. I’d reconsider the urge to go newer.

What do you plan to tow? A gas Class A will likely have a maximum towing capacity of 5000lbs. They also tend to tip the scales at GVWR quite easily and typically have smaller fuel and holding tanks compared to a diesel.

My guess is, if you don’t like your 2004 gas coach, you’re probably not going to like a 2014 or 2016 gas coach either. Take a good look at some 2009 or earlier pre-DEF diesel coaches.
Normally we tow 32' cargomate race trailer and loaded probably weighs 10k.. when we come to myrtle from Ohio we tow 20' open trailer with a camaro and a electric golf cart..
Old 09-06-2021, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I switched from a very capable but noisy 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss (duramax) class "C" to a 2004 Pace Arrow 37c gasser class "A", and I could not be happier.
The DW does not have to slither down into the cockpit anymore and with a coating of "kilmat" under the floor and dog house we can carry on a conversation @ 65 MPH.
The Seneca could pull better, but in the 6 years we had it, the maintenance and fuel cost were much higher, for our trips from Colorado to Florida and back.
Plus, the wind noise finally got to us and we traded her in. The Ultra RV ECM /TCM seems to help the Pace Arrow quite a bit, and she sure is a whole lot quieter, IMO, AND we will never be stranded with a DEF failure.

Mike in Colorado
What chassis?

Tags
diesel, gas