Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Gas vs. Diesel (After reading the FRED discussion)

So the top of my budget for purchasing a Class A motorhome will be in the $50,000 range. Looking for maybe a 34-37 footer. My question is this. I have had a couple guys tell me to just say no to a gasser Class A. Problem is, every one I've found that I like in my price range is a gasser. Any time I look for DP's, I never find one I like. Unless, of course, I'm willing to push my budget up to $75,000 or so. I know opinions are like, well, noses. We all have one, and they're all a little different. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I also figure I will need one that I'm completely happy with, because it will be the one and only time I buy one. Doubt I will ever be able to "upgrade".
bighamstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

if your not fulltime and use only 6 months a year there os no problem with gasser...if fulltime you will enjoy the ride and handling of the dp but many do FT in gassers as well.and 34' is not to big for the gasser..jeff
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usage is the first question. Go more or stayers? And how often and how far? We are once a month weekenders and a couple times a year for a week or so. Gas MH for us.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

Be very aware of Cargo Carrying Capacity. CCC on an older 35' gasser, could be very low. Brother-in-law's 05, 35' Tiffin /Workhorse ,was 1700lbs. He was always fighting to keep his weight down. Before I bought my DP, I looked at a 37' Tiffin / WH, CCC was 1300lbs.
They tell me my current DP is only worth $50K , I wouldn't sell for that, but they are out there.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There is no reason whatsoever not to buy a nice gasser and enjoy yourself. A well kept gasser is as dependable as any diesel. Concern yourself with the "house" and how well the floor plan, etc. suits you and your family. You spend a lot more time in the house than you do driving down the road. People told us the same thing about diesels, but we didn't see the point in spending the additional money. Now that we have our gasser we have no regrets. It's strictly a personal decision so don't let anyone try to make you feel bad about your choice.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It really boils down to what can you afford and can what you afford make you happy? DP envy is a serious disease but can be cured by finding what you like and can afford.

In the end you need to make sure you did your homework on both what you expect from a MH and what MHs will meet those expectations. Prioritize your list of expectations because I PROMISE YOU that no MH will meet them all.

I would say that perhaps the after floor plan design is the CCC of the MH. If the floor plan works and it has the capability to carry what you need and want, you may have found your MH. If that pushes your budget a bit, then you have to consider that fact. Pushing your budget to get a DP that does more than your expectations becomes the choice of adding ice cream to your cake.

BTW...be careful about CCC. You should make sure you can use it all by getting the rig weighed BEFORE you agree to buy it. You might read that a coach as a large CCC but you need to know how it is distributed on each axle and wheel. In our previous Adventurer we had 1600# CCC but couldn't use it all because the rear axle was maxed out when loaded for our chosen life style. We could only use about 1300# of that CCC.

Finally, if you plan to tow I think you will find most gassers capable of towing nearly 5000# even when loaded to GVWR. If your want to tow big trailers or heavy vehicles then you might have a problem.

BEST WISHES!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Never even thought about CCC. My first RV, bought last year, is a toy hauler. It is, of course, designed to carry plenty of weight, so never has been a consideration. Since we discovered we love RVing, we want something nicer, designed more for living & less for hauling. I'm guessing the size we want, 36 footer, wouldn't be too much for a gasser to motivate down the road. One reason I want a Class A as opposed to my trailer, seems like something you could just hop in & go for a night or two. Trailer? Gotta get the truck, set up the hitch, hitch to trailer, nah, too much work.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Usage is the first question. Go more or stayers? And how often and how far? We are once a month weekenders and a couple times a year for a week or so. Gas MH for us.
Exactly. I bought my probably 1st and last my almost 2years ago. Its a DP, but at the time it just seemed in so much better condition than the gassers we looked at. If we were not going to fulltime, or if we stayed in one place for several months at a time, I'm sure I would have went with a much newer gasser.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

We will use it less now & more often in the future, so we are shopping as if we will use it often & more short stays as opposed to fewer longer stays. Retirement is nearing (6 years I hope) and we live in an area where 100-120+ is the norm for 4-5 months in the summer. Getting out of the heat (and somewhere that has a tree or two) is becoming more of a desire for us as we get older!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighamstoy View Post
We will use it less now & more often in the future, so we are shopping as if we will use it often & more short stays as opposed to fewer longer stays. Retirement is nearing (6 years I hope) and we live in an area where 100-120+ is the norm for 4-5 months in the summer. Getting out of the heat (and somewhere that has a tree or two) is becoming more of a desire for us as we get older!
6 years is a long time to project potential use. It can be done but I guess the question is whether what meets your needs now will do so 6 years from now. It is a balancing act. FT RV usage requires things that part time doesn't. Even use of a MH in a FT mode for 1/2 a year (still having a S&B to go back to) has to be weighed carefully for long term livability.

It still boils down to life style. Packing heavy, pulling heavy situations can tax a gasser. If one has a smaller foot print on the planet...gassers can work well. Make a list of Must, really like, like, nice if it has it and finally don't want. Use it well.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look on Tucson craigslist. Always a few low miles dp for around 50 with no rust and some that have been undercover (no sun damage). Remember tires dry rot in five years so add $2500 to cost. I prefer gas.
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

6 years is a long time to project potential use. It can be done but I guess the question is whether what meets your needs now will do so 6 years from now. It is a balancing act. FT RV usage requires things that part time doesn't. Even use of a MH in a FT mode for 1/2 a year (still having a S&B to go back to) has to be weighed carefully for long term livability.

It still boils down to life style. Packing heavy, pulling heavy situations can tax a gasser. If one has a smaller foot print on the planet...gassers can work well. Make a list of Must, really like, like, nice if it has it and finally don't want. Use it well.
Definitely don't want to get saddled with one that doesn't meet my needs in the future. One never knows what tomorrow brings, but there are many things we can make an "educated guess" on based on your own personal wants & needs. 6 years ago I had no motorcycle or RV (and no desire for one). Now I own an Electra-glide Ultra Classic & a 35' toy hauler, so thinking in those terms makes your opening statement even more accurate!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Be very aware of Cargo Carrying Capacity. CCC on an older 35' gasser, could be very low. Brother-in-law's 05, 35' Tiffin /Workhorse ,was 1700lbs. He was always fighting to keep his weight down. Before I bought my DP, I looked at a 37' Tiffin / WH, CCC was 1300lbs.
They tell me my current DP is only worth $50K , I wouldn't sell for that, but they are out there.
Even DP's can have weight problems! Our 2002 DSDP had a 663# CCC at delivery and the front was overweight by about 160#'s if I fill the fuel and propane tanks BEFORE we loaded anything.
We got our fixed by Spartan and Newmar. The replaced the 12,000# front axle with a 14,600# unit and later I changed to larger front tires.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bighamstoy,
My first coach was in 1978. All my coaches except the current one have been gas powered. I was dragged kicking and screaming into purchasing a diesel. Why did I buy a diesel?
1. Floor plan - we needed 4 slides and all furniture must become a bed. All this means weight. I could not find the floor plan that met my needs in a gas coach. Diesels will haul more weight than gas.

2. Our toad (both of them) are too heavy for a gas coach. Diesels will tow more weight than gas.

The bottom line is to find the floor plan that meets your needs. Make sure the coach can carry all your stuff and you. Make sure the coach can tow what you want to tow. How the coach is powered will become a moot point.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas