Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I used to swipe several cards to fill tank. Now I just go inside and give them the card or better have my wife go in with card and then give me the high sign when I can pump the fuel.
This is what we do, gives my wife time to streach her legs and pick up some junk food for me. Or I use two cards, no big deal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #30

Sorry but $ 0.90 cent diesel is never going to happen again. Lower demand just means less refinery processing, lower volume sales and that means Higher diesel prices.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #31

The 2 swipe deal is a pain with 150 gal fuel tank. Leaving the card with the clerk can and did lead to bad things when someone has your CC # and the code. We fueled at a flying J in GA had to let the clerk hold the card, next afternoon fueled at Flying J in WVA just after someone bought 300 gal of fuel in GA. Real nice start to a vacation. By the way Flying J in Brunswick out right call me a liar when we stopped on the way back with all the reciepts. Soooo cash is king on the road, they turn the pump on, or wife stands there with CC.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very common, been seeing it for at least a decade if not longer. The gas stations all say "The credit card companies make us" but the credit card companies say "it's the station's decision" Truth is... I don't care, shop elsewhere when you can and be sure to tell them why.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Very common, been seeing it for at least a decade if not longer. The gas stations all say "The credit card companies make us" but the credit card companies say "it's the station's decision" Truth is... I don't care, shop elsewhere when you can and be sure to tell them why.
It is the stations decision, but the credit card companies set the limit they will pay on a fraudulent transaction to $75 which forces the station to cover themselves by stopping the transaction at $75. This became a hot topic in 2008 when prices went sky high and people in cars and pickups started hitting the limit they did not know existed previously. An old news piece from USA today HERE
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I left my CC with a clerk once and did not feel comfortable and won't do that again. Will just have to ask the Wife to go inside. As gas goes up the more PITA it becomes, I once had to go inside 3 times. I try do all the RV stuff on one card.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #35

I will not leave a visa card with the clerk. If they want to pre authorize to turn the pump on, fine but they do not need to hold ( and copy ) the card. Its not as much a problme with the gas cards as with general purpose visa and master cards but it can happen.

If the card is frauded, just dispute and help the CC company get the $$ back from the station that commited the fraud. The protection is part of what you are paying the issuing bank for.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #36

I handle it by saying "Honey we are stopping for fuel, you have to get out of your PJ's get dressed and take the card in." And I usually fill up prior to stopping for the evening.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #37

I have learned to go in and leave a cc with the clerk. They override the limits. This has worked at every truck stop I have used. Otherwise it is a pain. The other thing would be to apply for a CFI or Pacific Pride or any other card that is used by fleets. These work great at truck stops. Swipe them and you are done. Good luck
4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #38
JSW

Gift Card

I gave up on Flying J and their high prices. Now we purchase a WalMart gift card for $400 or $500 and buy my diesel at Murphy Oil. Get a 3 cent discount off their posted price, which is already 15-20 cents cheaper than Flying J. The only limit on the gift card is how much money you have left on it at the time. Work for me.
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JSW I have never seen a Wal Mart (Murphy Oil) location I could come close to getting into even if there were no other cars there. We do this for our toad. I agree on Flying J.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #40

When possible I fill at Sams Club, sometimes its hard to get my 36' coach in there but they usually have the best prices around.

Although it does cost me in the long run when my wife makes it into the store.

I get her back by buying a giant bottle of really good Tequila and/or Vodka when she insists on going in. That will teach her "hic".
Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
JSW I have never seen a Wal Mart (Murphy Oil) location I could come close to getting into even if there were no other cars there. We do this for our toad. I agree on Flying J.
I have fueled up at many Wal*Mart/Murphey Oil sites with no problems, toad hooked up. The only one I have seen that I could not access was in Del Rio, TX.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Just filled up at a Shell truck stop yesterday.

Went to the truck desk, gave the clerk our shell card and $179 dollars later we were finished. Having to turn off the pumps, etc and swipe the card multiple times is for the birds; however when using gas cards we've never had a limit at a truck stop. I did see a Valero that had a label on the pump that indicated a $100 limits, so perhaps this is spreading.

We NEVER give a clerk our Visa, AMEX or MC because those can be used elsewhere.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote