Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Gasoline Credit Cards

Recently when pumping diesel into our motorhome, we have encountered pumps that shut off after $75 or $100, making it impossible to fill the motorhome without using two credit cards. This is not related to credit rating. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have a solution?
jfolktns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I get cut off before full, I get the receipt, swipe the same cc again, and pump more gas,,,,,never had to swipe the cc more than twice, but I fill up at no lower than 1/2 tank
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfolktns View Post
Recently when pumping diesel into our motorhome, we have encountered pumps that shut off after $75 or $100, making it impossible to fill the motorhome without using two credit cards. This is not related to credit rating. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have a solution?

The pumps are set with a limit. When we had our DP, we experienced this. Just get the receipt on the first shut-off, then continue to refuel with a new swipe.

User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree, I often have to do the card twice to fill up..if the pump stops at $75 or $100, just complete the first transaction, then swipe the card again, never had a problem, it's just a nuisance to have to do it twice. Hopefully, as the price of gas rises, the dealers will raise the limit..Good Luck and Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Contact the clerk at the fuel desk and ask them to over ride the limit. Sometimes they will do it just on your request, other times they may want you to come inside so they can hold your credit card as security. Usually two swipes is all the pumps are programmed to accept on one credit card. I have switched to my other credit card a time or two when I needed three swipes to fill up.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

I have had to swipe up to 4 times to fill (usually requires at least 2 credit cards). To bypass this the only consistent way I have found is to go inside and leave your credit card and they will override the pump. Some stations will only set the pump for a set dollar amount and you are supposed to guess how much it will take. I DO NOT FILL AT THIS PLACES AND CHOOSE TO GO ELSEWHERE. all just my opinion and experience.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #7

Swipe multiple times. If an amount is required I give them an estimate of $200.00 and am only billed for what I pump.

By the way, I use a Pentagon FCU Visa and get 5% back on ALL fuel purchases, not limit and does not end after six months.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
By the way, I use a Pentagon FCU Visa and get 5% back on ALL fuel purchases, not limit and does not end after six months.
The following is from Pen Fed:
The 5% cash back on gas purchases is determined by the Merchant Category Code that is supplied when submitting the charge. If the Merchant Category Code is 5542, this signifies AUTOMATED FUEL DISPENSE (or, in general, payment at the pump) and qualifies for the 5% cash back.

If you pay inside or the merchant uses any other code, the Visa Platinum Cash back reward is 1.00% of the purchase transaction.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, a pain but all true. Usually a $75 max... although I've seen a few at $100... I believe all that I've seen will accept the same CC twice, but no more... I frequently need three swipes/2 CCs to fill up... and, this hassel can be avoided if I'm willing to go inside and wait in line TWICE. I probably should be more selective and boycott this kind of stuff but refueling is an area where I will put up with a lot so long as I can get my rig in and out safely.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yep, a pain but all true. Usually a $75 max... although I've seen a few at $100... I believe all that I've seen will accept the same CC twice, but no more... I frequently need three swipes/2 CCs to fill up... and, this hassel can be avoided if I'm willing to go inside and wait in line TWICE. I probably should be more selective and boycott this kind of stuff but refueling is an area where I will put up with a lot so long as I can get my rig in and out safely.

Rick
I've come across a few places that have a $50 limit--very annoying
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #11

The limit is kind of a pain in the patootey. When I stop, I am usually buying $200-250 and going up. Instead of continually reinserting the card, I usually go inside and make an estimate of what I am going to buy. Lots of times "they" seem to only allow two purchases on one card.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
$75 is the limit Visa and Mastercard will pay a merchant if the transaction turns out to be fraudulent, and I believe the Discover limit is $50. Since it's common for stolen cards to be used at gas pumps where it's not a face to face transaction, the stations cover themselves by setting the limit to match the maximum they will get if the transaction is bad. Can't really blame them...
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #13

Seems like this happens to me only at truck stop fillings. When I go to my local Exxon, lots cheaper than Loves, I pump to my heart's delight but not my pocket book's
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #14

I used to swipe several cards to fill tank. Now I just go inside and give them the card or better have my wife go in with card and then give me the high sign when I can pump the fuel.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote