Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Gasoline pusher

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a quick search but found nothing. I just heard that there are a new breed of motor homes out being that they are a gas pusher rather than a diesel. Has anybody heard anything about them? Do they exist or did I hear a fable?

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

I think a forum member has converted a diesel (rv suffered a fire) to a gasser, only one I know of...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's been tried but they weren't very successful as they tended to overheat and the fuel mileage was poor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I am looking to upgrade our m/h. We bought it last year and it's just a bit too small for us. And if we are going to have to upgrade, I was hoping I could find a diesel pusher but that adds about $20k to the price. At least. So, I'm on the hunt. Thanks for your reply.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #5

There's a few members on here that have the Workhorse chassis with that configuration, I think they call them UFO's?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #6

Workhorse made the Universal Fuel Option (UFO) Chassis for a few years back in the late 2000's. Winnebago built their gas Adventurer 37G and 39W on this chassis I think.

They are quiet going down the road and the turning radius is really good.

Not sure of the downside but I can believe over heating could be an issue.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #7

Very few built, as they just did not go over very well.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
paz

It's not that the Workhorse UFO chassis didn't go over very well. It was a good chassis, but it was introduced around 2007 just before gas prices skyrocketed in 2008 and the RV market crashed.

Although the UFO (Universal Fuel Option) was designed for either a gas or diesel engine, the demise in of the 8.1 liter engine initially used in the UFO didn't help. Because of the crash of the RV market, Workhorse (and Navistar, the subsequent owner of the Workhorse RV chassis business) never bothered to find a replacement for the 8.1 for use in heavier RV chassis. They instead concentrated on making smaller chassis with smaller diesel engines.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a quick search but found nothing. I just heard that there are a new breed of motor homes out being that they are a gas pusher rather than a diesel. Has anybody heard anything about them? Do they exist or did I hear a fable?

Ray
Yes, they exist, but not in great numbers. Workhorse offered their "UFO" gas pusher with a 26,000 GVWR with the 8.1L GM v-8. It IS a terrific chassis but was only used by 5 coach builders and it never gained more acceptance because of poor market timing and the type of mis-information posted above about overheating. "PAZ" got it right. The Workhorse UFO did NOT suffer from overheating, and IMO is the best riding and handling gasser ever built. The demise of Workhorse under Navistar sealed its fate.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes I test drove one at the RVIA West Coast show in Pomona CA when they first came out. Best handling gasser I've ever driven. As for overheating, Workhorse did it's testing on Death Valley CA. The demise of the GM 8.1 Vortex engine was part of the problem but Navistar could have put one of their max force diesel engines in its place until a suitable gas engine was developed to replace it. But sadly Navistar, IMHO, bought the company just to kill it. There was a wealth of engineering that died with the company. Now if you want a gas chassis your choices are Ford, Ford and Ford. Nothing wrong with that but IMHO Workhorse was a better performing chassis and you had a choice.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Yes I test drove one at the RVIA West Coast show in Pomona CA when they first came out. Best handling gasser I've ever driven. As for overheating, Workhorse did it's testing on Death Valley CA. The demise of the GM 8.1 Vortex engine was part of the problem but Navistar could have put one of their max force diesel engines in its place until a suitable gas engine was developed to replace it. But sadly Navistar, IMHO, bought the company just to kill it. There was a wealth of engineering that died with the company. Now if you want a gas chassis your choices are Ford, Ford and Ford. Nothing wrong with that but IMHO Workhorse was a better performing chassis and you had a choice.
You are quite right, SIR. They never did give us a satisfactory answer as to "why" they never got around to providing the diesel engine that was promised in the introductory literature. on the UFO . But, I doubt the original intent of Navistar was to kill off Workhorse . I believe Navistar saw it as an opportunity to own a captive customer for their engines, and they are not known for deliberately losing money.

Instead, a LOT of good people lost their jobs, both salaried and UAW.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have owned my UFO (gas pusher) for 7 years and have never had or heard of an over heating problem. I would buy another if they still made them. They are hard to find as most owners won't part with them. The only thing that would make them better is air leveling.

I think someone on the Workhorse Chassis forum is in the process of buying one now.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas