Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gasser + toad fueling tips needed

First, a big thank you to all on this forum for all of the valuable information posted. We are new to this and bought an inexpensive gasser to see if we enjoyed the lifestyle. It turns out that we do enjoy it and are ready to upgrade our coach after a very short time.

Now to the point. We have filled our gasser a few times without our toad and have found it to be a little tight getting into and out of the pumps. We even had to back up a little to get out of one station, and it was a Pilot station. My question is for those of you who have a gasser and pull a toad, is there anyway to find an "easy in, easy out" pull thru gas station for gassers? It was hard enough without a toad and I know it will be much harder to fit at the pump with a toad. It seems this would be one advantage to having a diesel. I would appreciate any tips you might offer. Diesel owners feel free to join in about the ease or difficulties of filling up also. Thanks..
AryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

I have a DP and don't use anything other than 'normal' fuel stations, like everyone else, and that's with our toad.

It's about confidence, planning entry and exit, and knowing the turning radius of your 'train'... even the tightest of all stations, Walmart MURPHY stations are our regular go-to cost-effective diesel station of choice. In all the years and miles, I've had to unhook my toad ONCE at a fueling station, which was only before I realized that I actually COULD back up, though carefully and slowly, with the toad attached.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

It is a matter of planning, I always try for one of the end or outside pumps. Usually a little more room. BTW I have a gasser. And welcome to the life.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When I get to 1/2 tank start looking for fuel,make sure you can get out.Pulling four down takes about 5 min to unhook so not a disaster. After a while you will get an eye for it.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Yup, sit back and eyeball things from a distance. Starting with the posted height of the overhead above the pumps. Then just be patient, and pretend that you have no reverse on the coach.

Gump

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Planning is a key.
I also have a gasser and toad.
Only had a problem at Loves in Indio CA .
They blocked off an exit where their dump station was.
Made it out fine though.
I always gas up at home after I drop the toad ready for the next trip.
Occasionally I will not if my next trip passes a known easy pull through station on the way to my destination .
I also have a Rand McNally Tab 8 RV GPS that I enter my rig length any toad and it will steer me to acceptable stations.
My question is about the truck pull throughs.
Do any of them pump unleaded? TA. Pilot and such?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
X3 on the planning. I plan the fuel stops & DH uses Google maps to scope out the logistics of getting into/out of the places. If something looks too tight, I've always got Plan B in the queue.

We mostly fuel up at Flying J's that have the RV lanes. Other places we try for the far outside lane for better maneuverability.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

I prefer Flying J RV pumps for my gasser, pull straight through with toad no problem plus the long pole window washers and few cents off per gallon with their card. From FL to out west last summer I only had to use a "normal" station a couple of times, Flying J are pretty well placed on the interstate system. They also do propane usually right near the RV pumps too.

Allstays app for finding the flying J's on the map.

Otherwise I like to scope out normal station when I am heading into a camp sight on the way in, usually spot one that will probably work with toad and use it on the way out.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am 40' plus the CRV. Costco is my 1st choice, I have never found one I couldn't navigate with MH and Toad. Flying J, Loves, etc are also good choices. Sam's Clubs, Fred Myers also work. If in doubt drive by first and check out the entrance and exit. I try to fill at 1/2 tank so I am never forced to make a rash decision.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #10

I found that after a while you will get to the point where you can come to a decision regarding preferred pumps very quickly as you enter the plaza. Just head for one of those, even if you have to wait a minute to get to it.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the responses. jharrell's reply about FlyingJ's RV pumps got me thinking. I checked out the Pilot/FlingJ phone app and you can filter for RV lanes.It doesn't say if they are gas or diesel, but shows many more diesel lanes than RV lanes. Does anyone know for sure if these are gas RV lanes? It's pretty cool you can plan your trip on this app and it will show your filtered gas stations with RV lanes along the route.
AryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The RV lanes at FJ's are both gas & diesel. They're usually right beside the propane so you can get that there too. Some FJ's are taking out their dump stations, so those aren't always a guarantee.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Google Earth can be very helpful for "looking" at stations ahead.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #14

We have about a 300 mile range between fillups. I like to find stations about 225-250 miles out on Google maps and find one that looks doable.
What I look for is an entrance and exit that I can work with. I like to find a place that has an entrance and exit 90 degrees to each other. It makes for an easy in and out.
There are a few places that have a separate lane for gas RVs.
For me the best is a truck stop where I can pull all the way around the building and pull straight into an end pump. That way I don't need to make a turn pulling into the pump.
Another kind that works for me is a small neighborhood station that has their pumps parallel to the road so that I can again pull straight in.
All that said every once in a while I get stuck and get to drop the toad.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, toad