Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Gear splitters

Does anyone have experience with a "gear splitter ", such as Gear Vendor?
turtlebutt_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
waste of money in most cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlebutt_k View Post
Does anyone have experience with a "gear splitter ", such as Gear Vendor?
I had a gear venders on a 1995 class a motor home. As far as I am concerned, it was a waste of money. It did give a higher gear like Overdrive and I was able to split shift going up hills, but it did not do a thing for mileage except maybe i/10th Mpg. I would have been better off spending the money on Headers which I later added and a Banks Ram air to gain a few more HP.
Mel
Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Thanks Mel 😎
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We put one in our '88 Type B Okanagan MH. It had the TT towing package, a 460 and only weighed 8,800#'s. Just got tired of the high RPM at 70 mph. Still never got 10 mpg though but the noise reduction was nice.
The driveshaft was an aluminum one and they fabricated a new steel one. It had different harmonics and also added some vibration.
Would I do it again? Well, maybe and maybe not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

I have seen a few on vehicles I have worked on. They are strong and work well but would not expect any fuel savings. Weight,wind and speed seem to determine fuel used.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Gear splitters are great with manual transmissions, even more so when also used with a diesel, since they allow you to keep the rpms closer to the range you get your best torque. However, the torque convertor of an automatic performs pretty much the same function so, unless you need a lower overall gear on occasion or you are overgeared, gear splitters aren't much use with automatics.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. We have a gas...454ci...with a Banks Power Pack, drive mostly in non-mountainous areas, but wondered if a gear splitter would be worth the money. It doesn't seem to.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlebutt_k View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We have a gas...454ci...with a Banks Power Pack, drive mostly in non-mountainous areas, but wondered if a gear splitter would be worth the money. It doesn't seem to.
My rig at the time was a 1995 Dolphin with a 454 engine, gas, coach was 36 foot long. The Gear vendors that I had installed was not worth the money. I also had a banks power pack installed and for me and driving in the mountains The Banks was worth it. Just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had installed a US Gear overdrive and a Banks header system both the same day.
Installed in a 1983 HR with 454 and 3 speed automatic.
Next day left on a long trip out west from IL. to SD, then to CO. and back to IN.
Before install average MPG was 6. On long trip average was 6 MPG.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

I had a GV years ago on a Jeep Wagoneer, and it helped with the use of poser from the big 6, but not MPG.

On our previous 98 Bounder, with a 99 F53 Chassis and the first year of the V10 (A 2 valve that was according to the first owner a bit weak at 275HP. He add the full banks treatment, and said the power was then adequate. I could not compare from before, but felt the power was fine, when I bought it.) But, it had the 4 spd older auto trans. And I always felt that GV would have helped it when hill/mountain climbing. It seemed that third would sometimes bog down, and then the jump to second, would get the engine screaming - as the V10 6.8 does like RPM's. I felt that a 'split gear' between 2nd and 3rd, would have worked very well on hill climbing.

If we had kept the coach, I would have found a GV from a salvage yard, and then have GV check it out and fix anything that needed fixing. (They are about 20 miles from our San Diego home, so easy for me to take it into them.).

So, if you can get your name on a salvage companies 'wish list', and pick up a new one, you might find the investment is worth it.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
?..However, the torque convertor of an automatic performs pretty much the same function so, unless you need a lower overall gear on occasion or you are overgeared, gear splitters aren't much use with automatics.

In the Allison 3000 and 4000 transmissions used behind most diesels, the lock-up clutch engages in 2nd gear and stays engaged from there through top gear. There is no torque converter action once that clutch engages.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I read this on Gear Vendors Web site. Notice the last sentence what they recommend to get better MPG.

Motorhomes — because of the aerodynamic loads of the big box shape, motorhomes fall into two categories. Those with factory overdrive and those without. Without factory overdrive you absolutely need a GEAR VENDORS. 22-28% gains typical on all three speed automatics, plus all the other benefits of gear-splitting ratios etc. for climbing hills and towing. For Motorhomes with factory overdrive the big gains are in the ability to climb hills with better splits in the ratios. Running double overdrive is not practical for saving fuel except in those instances where you have a tail wind because it is really the aerodynamics the dictate the horsepower you need. This is why a motorhome gets big mpg gains by just slowing down to 60 instead of 70mph.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
In the Allison 3000 and 4000 transmissions used behind most diesels, the lock-up clutch engages in 2nd gear and stays engaged from there through top gear. There is no torque converter action once that clutch engages.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Thanks! I stand...er...sit corrected.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

gear vendor

Back somewhere around 1986-87 , I had a chevy suburban 3/4 ton, four wheel drive ,low geared rear end, extra wide tires and 454 motor. This was in deep so. Tex. flatlands. Ordered a GV from San Diego and had my local mech. install it. Worked fine .Seems like an increase of 1 to 1-1/2 mpg. In 88-89 we bought a used 30ft. Honey class A , 454 cu.in. Mpg seems like it was 4. About the same time I traded the sub. on a new powerstroke, so removed the GV. We took vacation to so. Calif . and brought the GV with us to San Diego where Gear Vendors installed it in the Honey. Went from there up to Frisco, Lake Tahoe, Denver and home, to south Tex. Unit worked great in the mountains and mpg improved by 1/2 mpg. 454s loved to eat! With about 50 miles before we got out of New Mexico on some lonely two lane hwy. a nice patrolman pulled us over and gave me a ticket for 80mph in ( I think ) a 55mph zone. I thought I had been making good time!! Lucky that was the only ticket. Seems that GV forgot to change worm gear on transmission. Probably not much help, but I had fun remembering.
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote