Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Onan folks at the 2007 FMCA Pomona Rally worked on my generator. I had the Genturi installed at the time and they never questioned the use of it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #30

Wayne, your point is well taken. I was not intending to debate whether to use or not use a Gen-Turi. I was merely pointing out other aspects of the product to consider. The techs. that worked on your unit at the Pomona rally really have nothing to do with how design engineers, warranty policy makers or the legal staff at Onan Corporate think or react. I was just "suggesting" that before buying one of these a buyer "might" want to check all aspects relative to its use. No offense taken and certainly none was intended, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would hope that a well trained factory tech would know if the Gen-Turi system would harm the generator or invalidate the warranty. The next time I am at a Rally and Onan is there, I will ask them about the Gen-Turi and the warranty.

No offense taken.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the muffler shop by my house install a new pipe to the generator to relocate the exhaust pipe. I installed my Gen-Turi. I will post some pictures of the install in a day or so when I get back from our trip this weekend. I bought these suction cups from Harbor Freight and they seem to work great.
Suction Cup with Quick Release

I got 2 of them for a total cost of $6.50 to have the muffler shop install and route a new exhaust pipe to the generator parts and labor total cost $75.00.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I inherited a Gen-turi but when I went to try it on my new Newmar Canyon Star toy hauler, it doesn't fit. Both pipes are 1.5" around.
I bought a 1 5/8" piece of exhaust pipe, but I'm not sure it's going to stay hooked.

Also, I don't see how to keep it against the side of the Canyon Star. Many mention suction cups...I have looked at Harbor Freight online and see 4 1/2" diameter cups that look like they could do the job.

Can anyone tell me if this is what will work? Or can those 1" suctions you get at Target work? (guessing not, but this is my first Motorhome, so be gentle ;o). The Gen-turi is an absolute necessity at dog shows, where I'll be using it.

Thanks so much!
Javadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Javadawgs.... There should be a flared adapter that fits on the bottom curve of the Genturi pipe, held in place with a locking pin, that will then slip snugly onto the exhaust tube.

Also, there should be two short rubber support straps- about 8-10"- attached to a single point on the gray tube about eye level. These attach to your coach wall to provide both vertical support and lateral stability. Some use suction cups, I attached two small SS pad eyes to the coach wall, about 10" fore and aft of the vertical tube. Works fine.

Go to www.camco.net and download the online "RV Accessories" catalog. On page 79 you will find replacement parts available for the Genturi.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Ken - It is always good to examine every side of a situation. That said, I think the Genturi is obviously safe - the generator exhaust only gets an extra 90, so the increase in back pressure is minimal. The rest of the Genturi doesn't add any constriction. There may be more benefit from eliminating unintended EGR than penalty from that extra 90. But good point about the rv mfg not offering an option - they could make an elegant mounting solution.

Back to the discussion: My faux Genturi hangs from the drip rail of the motorhome and a Harbor Freight suction cup stuck on a window. There is no connection to the generator exhaust, so no vibration is transferred. I just center the tube over the gen exhaust.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist / gearhead / sports car racer, so I picked up a PVC floor drain fitting, chucked it into my lathe and gave it a nice radius in place of the chamfered end of the tube. Looks pretty flash, like an enormous upside down ram tube for a Weber carb.

With no connection to the generator exhaust pipe, I suspect my faux Genturi may pick up more heat from sunlight than the exhaust gases. Wonderful addition to any motorhome with a generator.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a zip tie around the genturi black pipe to my mirror mount. Has worked flawlessly. I previously just laid it in the spot with no zip tie but the wind changed directions and moved it under the slide out awning.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #37

Gen Turi Exhaust Question

Java dawgs,

I bought a couple of dent puller suction cups at an auto parts store to hook the Genturi's tethers to.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a device being advertised for use with Cell phones and such called the "Grabbit" that might hold it.

As I said, I put in a couple of eyes (Well, technically htey are metal bumps more than anything) 2 screws and a bit of touch up paint they look like they belong there and I actually have to LOOK FOR THEM, No problems in 9 years they have been there. That is how I recommend doing it, they do not come off.

As for the person with the different size exhaust pipe.. The Genuine Gen-Turi comes with a box of adapters for different size generator exhaust pipes.. Hop over to a local muffler shop and they should be able to adapt one for you.. Of course I have found that shop handy for many things..

I know it sure keeps the exhaust from bothering me here in the motor home.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all of your responses....

What I did to anchor the up-pipe was a little unusual. Hubby had surgery on his elbow and the hospital have us a foam-rubber contraption to hold his arm in for a few weeks. (I wish I had a picture of it...) After he had finished with it, we packed it in the rolling home and when we arrived at our next stop, I slipped it over the Gen-Turi Tube and then bungi-corded it to the driver's side mirror on the outside of the RV. It works great!!! People keep stopping and asking me where I got this great foam "thingy"..... The up-pipe from the Genturi lays quite comfortably at a 45 degree angle to the driver's side mirror and the foam protects the miiror and the finish.

We are happy campers!!!!

Faith and Bob
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #40

If you purchased a Original Gen-Turi and not a knock-off it should come with two flanged eye mounts that the two rubber strap hooks hook to. They have a double sided sticky backed pad on the back that will hold the pipe just fine. Mine have been on the side of my coach for 5 years. I used a little bit of touch-up paint to match them to the red body color. If they didn't come with yours contact them and get a pair.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote