Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
...why don't the RV manufacturers put the generator exhaust out the roof?...

Some do. We have friends with a Newell that exhausts out the roof, but it requires the generator to be in a fixed position and somewhere other than under the cab. Most motorhome generator sets are on slides under the front of the coach.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #30

Given a choice between running hot gases up inside the wall and outside in free air I would take outside any time. Add in the flex pipe that would need to be added to allow for engine vibration and I would really want the pipe in free air.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I like the Gen-Turi alot but I still wonder, aside from cost, why don't the RV manufacturers put the generator exhaust out the roof? I have plenty of space in my back cap to run the exhaust up and out the roof. Every time I have the generator running I look at the exhaust and the roof and wonder if it can be done without any safety issues, such as fires or leaks.
Heat, exhaust length and future service are all likely reasons for not burying the generator exhaust in the back cap on a gasser. Obviously not a choice on the front mounted diesel generators. You will notice that the Genturi only adds a short elbow to the exhaust dynamics, with an open air stack going up from that point. This creates a very effective Venturi action, and also cools the exhaust substantially.

For those wondering if they need an extension, remember that roof mounted ACs and other ventilation are up there. Get the top of the Genturi 18" above the roof.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Greatest idea since sliced bread. Generally we only use it once a year at the Loudon NASCAR race. I made my own for about $30.00 with materials from either Lowes or Home Depot. Search for it via Google or YouTube.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I like the Gen-Turi and used it at the California NASCAR race last March. I too was concerned about the weight of the Gen-Turi on the generator muffler. Cummins makes a muffler bracket which will help take the weight off the muffler. I personally would not use the Gen-Turi with out this bracket. Here is a link to the item I am talking about;

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-Onan-.../dp/B00FFAUOPG

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #34

The first thing I bought for my class A MH was a Genturi. Up to that point I have never had a camper with a built in generator. I used my Honda 2000's which I could place safely away from neighbors.
Two years ago my son had a camper trailer and I had a Class C MH and we were at a NASCAR race. A fellow backed his big MH up to the painted line in the site behind my son's camper. The fellow had an outside TV and he and his friends ran his generator all day long and well into the night. He claimed to have a medical device which required 120V. power so he was exempt from the 11 PM quiet time rule.
The first night we were there my son and his friends went to bed and one of them woke up sick to their stomach. This woke up the other two who were also sick. This is when we realized the exhaust from our neighbor's MH was coming into the window of my son's camper.
I was furious and woke the guy behind us and demanded he shut the generator down. This ensued into an argument which could have escalated into a confrontation had the cops not shown up due to someone calling them.
I told the fellow in the MH he would never have that site again and the argument started all over again. He said I couldn't do anything about it. He was wrong. I have purchased four sites at this track for several years all in the same location. When all this happened we were supposed to have one of our regulars occupying the site the MH was on but due to an illness he had to bow out. I advertised the site on Craig's list and sold it to the fellow in the MH just for this one race. When I showed the fellow my driver's license he recognized my name being the same as the person he wrote his check out to. He was a whole lot more cooperative after that but I promise he will never have that site again.
I have since installed carbon monoxide detectors in my son's camper.
I bought my Genturi to be a good neighbor. It works as designed and I feel like I have done myself a favor as well as those around me.
I wonder if the fellow in that MH ever smartened up and bought one?
Lynn

Tags
generator