Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Onan’s Issue is the strain on the exhaust pipe will cause the exhaust manifold to crack. Hence the need to support anything attached to it.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #58

Gen-Turi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
After spending a weekend at an IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park, and liking our neighbours, I realized I need a Gen-Turi. Where did you buy yours?

Camping World with Good Sam membership $170.00
Camping world website $143.00
Walmart & Amazon $127.00

Now I'm home and Amazon.ca is CDN $250.00.

I need this for my next race on May 24 weekend, here in Canada. Any ideas on how to not get ripped off? I will not be back in the US before then.
I bought mine from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $ 69.00
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #59

Has anyone tried or thought of a primary venturi by using a larger 90 over exhaust tip deeper into horizontal run open at back.
I first wanted to do the similar with bigger chrome exhaust tips over genny and Aqua-hot tips, to attempt to keep them cooler for curious grand children .As far as just trying on double on plain tips goes if it didn't create a bit of a venturi draw at least it would be double wall.
This may end up being cooler bare pipe sticking out as well.
Sketch not exactly CAD

Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	243080
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
153, I believe this does what you’re trying to do...the elbow is much cooler than an elbow hooked to the exhaust pipe without a air gap. I tried different amounts of gaps (from none to 4”) to get the lowest temperature. I’ve never checked the temperature at the elbow but half way up on the vertical with a 2” gap, the coolest is 120 degrees. Increasing the gap more than 2” raised the temperature.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #61

I suppose a lot of people are not installing their GenTuri correctly as the rubber suspension straps are supposed to support all the weight with none of it really resting on the generators exhaust pipe.

As for the plastic pipe which would melt and fall on the ground if it got hot enough to cause de-lamination when its so far away from the skin of an RV there has to be something terribly wrong with something as the rubber strap and plastic should melt long before that could happen. Mine is strapped along side my ladder and it never gets so hot that you can't comfortable touch it and is usually much cooler than other items out in the sun due to the additional cooling air being sucked through the venturi by the exhaust flow. If a small torn off piece of paper does not get sucked up through the Genturi and come floating out the top as required in the instruction manuals installation check then its not installed/working correctly. The plastic pipe with cooling air flowing through it should barely get warm to the touch and with it being 4 to 6 inches from the skin of your motor home should not cause delamination.

I have used mine extensively traveling to events in the Deep South with 2 dogs and a cat so that I left it permanently strapped to my ladder much of the time using extra shock cord to keep is secure yet floating. People would regularly pull in too close blocking air flow causing CO2 buildup and the alarms to go off when the generator would auto-start to keep the animals cool when the Air Conditioning cycled so it became clear it was a necessity.

As for price I waited until it was on sale and paid less than $100 US for it due to my Good Sam's Discount. I just watched for the advertisements and such and kept checking the prices every time I walked into a store that stocked them until I found them on the shelve for less than $100 so I could grab one verifying that it was 100% complete before I left the parking lot and not have to pay any additional shipping, handling, etc fees or have to deal with RMA's.

I considered making my own but decided to go with the engineered solution with the instructions and support to ensure the air gap, etc was correct.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #62

I had the Gen-turi in my RV wish list on Amazon and a few weeks ago I saw it drop to $86 so I had to order it! I knew my RV already had the adapters on the tailpipe so I didn't have to mess with that.
I just checked on Amazon and the price went up to $125 again.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #63

Weight of Genturi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveholmes View Post
I listened to a talk by the Cummins/Onan rep at the FMCA convention and he said these were bad for the gen. Is that just propaganda? I know enough to not know anything
On my DIY Genturi, I added tailpipe hangers to provide better support for the exhaust pipe, and to carry the weight of the 3 inch ABS Genturi.
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidendg View Post
I had the Gen-turi in my RV wish list on Amazon and a few weeks ago I saw it drop to $86 so I had to order it! I knew my RV already had the adapters on the tailpipe so I didn't have to mess with that.
I just checked on Amazon and the price went up to $125 again.

My lesson for today, Amazon wishlist.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #65

It is quite a revelation that in Canada the cost for a Gen-Turi is about doubled. Many of the places such as Home Depot where you can get one in most peoples home towns in the US don't even list them on their Canadian web sites.

I didn't check however are all Atwood, Camco, etc items double the cost in Canada?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
It is quite a revelation that in Canada the cost for a Gen-Turi is about doubled. Many of the places such as Home Depot where you can get one in most peoples home towns in the US don't even list them on their Canadian web sites.

I didn't check however are all Atwood, Camco, etc items double the cost in Canada?
Our dealer, a Camco dealer, wanted $288.00 plus 13% tax. The 32% exchange rate on our dollar starts the increased cost.

I spend enough time in the US, that I plan my purchases accordingly but with a May 24 weekend race here, I had to bite this bullet. I sure hope my neighbor appreciates it.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
After spending a weekend at an IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park, and liking our neighbours, I realized I need a Gen-Turi. Where did you buy yours?

Camping World with Good Sam membership $170.00
Camping world website $143.00
Walmart & Amazon $127.00

Now I'm home and Amazon.ca is CDN $250.00.

I need this for my next race on May 24 weekend, here in Canada. Any ideas on how to not get ripped off? I will not be back in the US before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The first one I made cost $18 using 10’ alum 2"X4" gutter down spout and 90. Cut the 10’ in half for storing and 4” suction cup to support. A 2” air-gap runs the coolest.

This - IMHO - answers the OP - after all the discussion this works - is easy - and again IMHO shows you are smart enough to know How to Save Money$$ and Not Get Ripped Off, which was the original Question .

Lot's of options, but only one real answer, Simple - Cheap - Works and answers the OP's Question...

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #68

Alpine Owners Club
I paid $82.98 on Amazon in January (Used - Like New) just before we went to Quartzsite.....worked great and very happy with the product
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

This - IMHO - answers the OP - after all the discussion this works - is easy - and again IMHO shows you are smart enough to know How to Save Money$$ and Not Get Ripped Off, which was the original Question .

Lot's of options, but only one real answer, Simple - Cheap - Works and answers the OP's Question...

JMHO,

I also like the design Ivy. Thanks for saving me money. On my way to Home Depot.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #70

Country Coach Owners Club
Walmart online a little over $120 with an extension. Took about a week for local in store pickup
Herky96 is offline   Reply With Quote