Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #1

Generac 5500 Starter Replace

Looking for and help on how to replace starter on Generac 5500. MH is 2000 Four Winns Thor Hurricane 29D. I think it has to come out by lowering straight down? Looks like a project?
mthirty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #2

Have you positively diagnosed the health of the starter?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:56 AM   #3

Confirmed ground is good, confirmed power to solenoid is good, replaced solenoid, tried jumping direct to starter and can hear starter attempting to rotate

thanks
Old 12-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Have you monitored the battery voltage while engaging the starter? If so, what was the reading?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 12-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthirty30 View Post
Looking for and help on how to replace starter on Generac 5500. MH is 2000 Four Winns Thor Hurricane 29D. I think it has to come out by lowering straight down? Looks like a project?
I dropped mine out of our old coach for a stator replacement once.
After removing all the bolts it didn't seem to want to drop down at first and due to a lip in the back. If I remember correctly, I ran the floor jack up a bit and pulled the whole thing forward.
I had built a skid type platform for it as to allow the floor jack to go under and then for getting it back out, once on the ground.
The job is sort of tedious, so just be careful and for getting a little help with it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:11 AM   #6

Thanks I have some help lined up for spring, have access to fork lift and concrete pad. Looks like the exhaust for the MH is in the way. Sawzall will take care or that. Also planning in cutting Generator exhaust also because no faith in unbolting from unit. Looks like two support brackets hold Genny up. Are the bolts coming through floor carriage bolts? Lots of rust but have been spraying them. Just researching for now> had minus 8 degrees yesterday. Heat wave now plus 8
Old 12-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #7

Checked a few things today. With MH running and shore power plugged in there is 14 volts to starter solenoid. When I try to start genny solenoid rapidly clicks( trying to close) but no voltage to starter. I then jump from 14 volt power source around solenoid directly to cable going to starter. Starter tries to turn briefly ( sounds like a very dead battery? ) I put volt meter on cable post and jump the solenoid and can only get a 1 volt reading. Does that sound like bad starter because voltage not going through starter? Bad brushes or windings, armature?
Old 12-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
Have you monitored the battery voltage while engaging the starter? If so, what was the reading?
you need to check the voltage at the solenoid while you trying to make the starter work. Open circuit voltage is mostly meaningless. Shut the engine off for this voltage test.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 12-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Checked a few things today. With MH running and shore power plugged in there is 14 volts to starter solenoid. When I try to start genny solenoid rapidly clicks( trying to close) but no voltage to starter. I then jump from 14 volt power source around solenoid directly to cable going to starter. Starter tries to turn briefly ( sounds like a very dead battery? ) I put volt meter on cable post and jump the solenoid and can only get a 1 volt reading. Does that sound like bad starter because voltage not going through starter? Bad brushes or windings, armature?
Sounds like it's froze up and for pulling a lot of current to create such a voltage drop.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks I have some help lined up for spring, have access to fork lift and concrete pad. Looks like the exhaust for the MH is in the way. Sawzall will take care or that. Also planning in cutting Generator exhaust also because no faith in unbolting from unit. Looks like two support brackets hold Genny up. Are the bolts coming through floor carriage bolts? Lots of rust but have been spraying them. Just researching for now> had minus 8 degrees yesterday. Heat wave now plus 8
I don't remember the exhaust being a problem. No memory on how the bolts hold, but it seemed obvious at the time.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #11

It's not like working on my Farmall. Question is where does the ground cable from the frame go. Directly to starter? Just a tough spot to work on or figure out. Usually I just remove starter and test on bench. Doesn't fit this situation. I did have 14 volts with MH motor not running, but was plugged in to shore power. I will unplug tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks
Old 12-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
It's not like working on my Farmall. Question is where does the ground cable from the frame go. Directly to starter? Just a tough spot to work on or figure out. Usually I just remove starter and test on bench. Doesn't fit this situation. I did have 14 volts with MH motor not running, but was plugged in to shore power. I will unplug tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks
You should be able to easily see where the ground cable is attached.
As for replacing the starter itself, I think you'll find there's a lot more work to it, even after removing the genset. Looked that way, anyway. Surprisingly replacing the stator while leaving the rotor intact, wasn't all that bad.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:58 AM   #13

Ground comes from frame to no idea where. Somewhere on top of genny Thinking about new ground but not sure what to ground to. Same frame that solenoid is grounded to? I had issues with old pickup that ground fixed. And then use separate power source like a vehicle. Snow coming so shut down for awhile. If I get genny out I will figure out how to replace starter even if difficult. Thanks

Tags
ace, generac, replace, starter