RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Generac Generator

Hi All
I have a Generac generator GN480 5500kw, its a 2000 model. Hope someone can help with my problem. When I start the generator the first time it will run for about 5 min then shut down I can start it again and the same thing happens. About the third or forth time it will stay running. I am going to change the plugs and change the oil and filter. The air cleaner is clean. Is there a fix for this.
Thank you
Jim
retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sounds like a fuel filter or fuel pump issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Low speed jet varnished to a smaller size. Does it surge when first started? I suggest cleaning/replacing the carb ports, any associated fuel filters and give it a try. California compliant machines make it very difficult to adjust the hi/low mixtures which can make a unit loose 1/2 its capacity when at elevation due to the fuel flow. That's a reduction in addition to the normal for less oxygen.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

ditto on changing the fuel filter!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 PM   #5

Generac Generator

Thank everyone. The generator does not surge when I first start it. I have changed the fuel filter and now waiting for a new fuel pump and regulator. I am going to try this first then rebuild the carb.

Thanks again
Jim
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your fuel line from the gas tank may be sucking air, Get a can of gas hook up a hose from the gas can to the Generator fuel pump. If the generator runs for more then 5 min then you will need to replace the fuel line from the main gas tank. When you replace the line get some fuel injection line it's heavier duty then regular fuel line.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #7

Thanks John
When I start the generator it will run for a few minutes then I have to start it again it will die again and when I start it for the third or forth time it will run fine and stay running. Thats why I didn't thing it would be the gas line. But I think I will try that any way just to be sure.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 06-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Gen

try running seafoam into carb
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd try Seafoam, and also, if you can, add a section of clear fuel line so you can look for air bubbles. The original lines are at least 17 years old, very possibly it could be cracked and allowing air into the line. Unless you can access the top of the gas tank, replacing the fuel line will require dropping the tank. It would be nice to know if it's sucking air or not.

You mentioned rebuilding the carb. Is a rebuild kit available? Onan just requires replacing, they don't offer a kit for rebuilding.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator