Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

General Natl Insurance

Thinking of using GN for my collision, etc. insrance. Obtained quote thru Good Sam. For those who use GN do you have any opinion, particularly on their 30 day storage program to reduce certain coverage/costs. Thanks1
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #2

We just switched to GN. Added our new rig to Liberty Mutual without checking rates. When the invoice came, it was a shocker. We applied online via GS website, very impressed with online process. The coverage meets our needs (we didn't want replacement coverage). The premium is so low that we have decided not to put it in and take it out of storage.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I had through Good Sam was National General insurance. I had three claims for windshield replacement and that went smoothly. They did try to get me to use one of their preferred shops and I wanted to use the Winnebago factory and they allowed that with no problems.
I used the suspend option once the year we snow birded but found out it had to be for 3 months (as I recall ). I don't know about a 30 day option.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
to high for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by glemo81540 View Post
Thinking of using GN for my collision, etc. insrance. Obtained quote thru Good Sam. For those who use GN do you have any opinion, particularly on their 30 day storage program to reduce certain coverage/costs. Thanks1
2 years ago I switched to Good Sam NG because they were about $150 cheaper than my present insurance at the time. Last year time for renewal They all but doubled the rate. No accidents, no claims, and no citations. I went back to my old insurance AARP Hartford and it was $175 a year cheaper. Last month I checked GS National General again and they were almost $300 more so I am staying with AARP. NG appears to give a low ball rate as a teaser for new clients the first year then bump the rates up after that during renewal.
Mel
Old 11-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemo81540 View Post
Just be aware that on their storage program, you have to pay the full premium, then apply for a refund when you put it in storage. I had it for a while and it became too much of a hassle. I wound up going with the same company as my other vehicles and homeowner's and got a good rate.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

I have NG and use the storage feature every winter. My policy is on monthly auto pay and the company takes care of the rate change promptly. My understanding is that I could change multiple times as long as it at least 1 month in duration. Also my rate has very low increases yearly. I have this policy thru FMCA if that makes a difference.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #7

I have NG and used the suspension last year. What I didn't know was the insurance companies must provide a list of insured/uninsured vehicles to the state monthly. I received a letter from the state threatening to cancel my registration if the coach remained uninsured. Major hassle. Also, I store the coach indoors in another town. The storage facility has video surveillance, fire suppression, etc. but because the coach was in a different zip code and the rates were higher, the amount I saved was severely reduced. This year I didn't suspend the insurance, again it's a bigger hassle than it's worth.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have NG and used the suspension last year. What I didn't know was the insurance companies must provide a list of insured/uninsured vehicles to the state monthly. I received a letter from the state threatening to cancel my registration if the coach remained uninsured. Major hassle. Also, I store the coach indoors in another town. The storage facility has video surveillance, fire suppression, etc. but because the coach was in a different zip code and the rates were higher, the amount I saved was severely reduced. This year I didn't suspend the insurance, again it's a bigger hassle than it's worth.
Same here. The hassle with the DMV is a pain. Unless suspending once a year for a long winter, not worth the effort imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I switched to The Hartford as they were about $800 cheaper than National General for the 2nd year renewal. Looks like they gave me a "teaser" rate then upped it the next year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
GS has National General Insurance Co.
I have had it since they changed from GMAC.

I Full time and when parked in the winter over 6 months I drop only collision. And that saves me over $125. State FL. doesn't allow me to drop much more then that or I have to turn the plates in. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

we've been covered by National General for three years. We've been very pleased. $1400 for a year to cover our 37 ft DP and 4 cars.

We put the MH in and out of storage twice a year, no sweat.

Also, other than our toad, we put our 3 cars into storage when the MH comes out of storage.

When a vehicle goes into storage, there is still some level of insurance on the vehicle, so I don't know why your state insurance office has a concern.??
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
GS has National General Insurance Co.
I have had it since they changed from GMAC.

I Full time and when parked in the winter over 6 months I drop only collision. And that saves me over $125. State FL. doesn't allow me to drop much more then that or I have to turn the plates in. :(
I can't even drop the collision because the storage facility is allowed to move it as necessary. The collision covers them for this process. Liability is the big one, but that's the one that triggers issues with the state.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance