Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #29

Well said. Our current count is 389,000 miles in four different motorhomes; beginning in 1977. While there have been a few bumps in the road, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Howdy and welcome jsmmonaco!

Most certainly they do! Keep in mind that what you are reading is almost completely one sided (negative). There aren't too many people that post daily about what worked correctly such as "Today my refrigerator worked great - all food cold or frozen. My slides went in and out just like they are supposed to."

I am a fulltimer and my coach "works" and I enjoy it immensely. Yes, just like a house or a car, there are some intermittent issues as well as improvements that I like to make.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yes, it can be scary to read all the "what can go wrong" stories, but I profoundly appreciate them. Looking back, when we bought our used Class C we were clueless. It was our great blessing that it happened to be (and is) a great coach in superior condition and since buying it we have learned so much from making mistakes along the way. We are interested in moving up to a Class A and so I have been reading these forums and making copious notes about things to look for and look at when we are ready to make the change. I have no doubt we will still make mistakes and have problems, but I hope far fewer of them than we would have without the benefit of what people share here.

FWIW, DH was the one who wanted to begin RVing and I was not at all excited about the idea. I admit I do like nice hotels. But I am so glad I agreed to the experiment. I really appreciate taking my own bedroom, bathroom and kitchen with me wherever I go. We can visit people we know when traveling and not impose on their hospitality because we brought our own accommodations, thank you very much. Our miniature Schnauzer gets to stay with us, too, and we all enjoy that.

Read the forums to become an educated RVer, not a fearful one!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #31

The difference between a CALAMITY and an ADVENTURE is when you see the worst is about to happen when suddenly everything turns out all right. Anxieties are warnings that can prevent you from having either a bid "C" or a big "A" on you trip. We use the Easy Does It Rule. Remembering that the more things you're carrying also means the more things that will go wrong. It is the best way to hamstring your A. Don't you recall what your folks told you when you were a kid? Get outside and play and don't come home until the street lights come on....just sayin'
RoadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been reading this fourm for over a year, when I first started reading I thought I was wasting my time. Now after several two week trips I now know that I was learning and didn't realize it. We have had some great trips, not all without some problems , I now realize not to worry about everything . Had some leveling problems and I now realize that it doesn't mean the end of the world. I still have fun. The only thing I dislike is the like of GOOD techs . I have yet to find a good one. After saying that , not going to let that stop us from going to new places and having fun. Hope you can find a good tech and keep finding new places to go and have good memories.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing the O/P needs to know is human psychology.

When it comes to RV's there are basically 2 kinds of people

1: Has problems.. So he posts about those problems and we the more (One hopes) experienced try to help him.. Of course when we do this we admit that we, or others, had/have the same problem.

2: Pleased a punch and no problems since he bought the thing a long time ago (At least none that were not minor and obvious and easy to fix)

Those folks tend not to post so much.

I sometimes tell the story of one who did.. But you see, it was an accident.. IN the evening he posted a problem.

IN the AM he investigated and found it was not a problem.. In fact it was a solution,, he'd made a bonehead mistake and ... An optional device (Surge Guard) protected him by not passing 240 volt to his 120 volt RV.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #34

The RV for me is like a hobby. I do drive it but I also maintain it, both can be fun. Sort of like a motorcycle. I find owning an RV more like a lifestyle than just getting in to drive and park it when done. Problems do happen along with a warmth and comraderie when camping. It is not for everyone but it is about motors, wheels and a house.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I appreciate the input.............it is nice knowing that if a problem comes around the corner, there is someplace to go for some help, other than dumping money down the rabbit hole............so now it is time to prepare for my dealer predelivery walkthru....
Actually, you can avoid a lot of problems that take away from your enjoyment time right now. Do not just do a "pre-delivery walkthru." Do a pre delivery inspection. A very detailed inspection. Get a really good check list, take your time (a good inspection should take you at least 3-4 hours) and don't compete the purchase until the repairs are completed. If you are unfamiliar with RV systems and don't feel comfortable (or knowledgable) doing the inspection, HIRE SOMEONE TO DO IT!

I know, the coach is under warranty, the dealership is saying they will take care of you. You want to get that shiny thing on the road and you don't want to waste your money on inspecting a new vehicle. Slow down and take your time. The salesman is smiling, and he's going to want to "take care of some paperwork" (get the final payment) and then show you your brand new RV. However, it's on you to make sure that everything is right with the RV. You will have the dealership's attention only as log as you are holding the check, but once you pay, you might hear a different tune from the dealer. You may spend the next several months getting the dealer to "take care of you."

Too often, the problems that new owners experience could have been caught with a good predelivery inspection. Some issues will not be found until you get it on the road. But do everything you can to find and have the dealer fix every problem that you can find before you accept delivery and pay them. Don't assume that everything is fine and in working condition. Verify that it is before payment. That way, you will reduce the time that your brand new RV is sitting on the dealer's lot waiting for service and increase your camping time.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
50 years of RVing

In almost 50 years of RVing we have had several Different RV's and a Few problems 2 major ones, But on the other hand for me Tinkering with my motor home and making Mods is a lot of the fun of RVing. The people we meet and lasting friendships are what makes it all worth while. As others have said, in most of the Forums you will find the majority are here because they have a problem and are seeking help to get it solved. Those with problems are a small majority of total number of RV'ers most without major issues.
Mel