Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

General Questions about Class A's

Hello! I have never posted on this website before but I have created an account to hopefully get a few of my questions answered.

I am looking to purchase a 2018 Newmar King Aire (or Essex, Ill be going to a dealer and taking a good look at each). For some future trips I have planned.

However I really don't know anything about rving so I was hoping I could get some help with the following questions.
First Ill explain my intended uses, and that is not to go to campgrounds.
I would like to be driving cross states to sports events and always on the move, never staying in one spot more than a quick nights sleep.
Sleeping in walmart parking lots and such instead of searching out campgrounds. I understand this means that I wont be hooked up to power when im set up overnight.

So here are the first questions
If I was stopped overnight and not hooked up to power,

Can the RV still be heated?
Can I use the Rvs tvs?
Can I use the dishwasher/microwave/stovetop?

Secondly, If I add solar panels to the roof, while not hooked up to power for the night.

Can the RV still be heated?
Can I use the Rvs tvs?
Can I use the dishwasher/microwave/stovetop?

Second part is my concerns on waste management. Of course the rv will have a bathroom and those need to be emptied, So I am curious how often I should be expecting to find a campground to go through this routine?
Would I need to find a campground every night to empty the tank? or once a week?

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help with my questions !!
Freeskier101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All systems except the heat pumps will operate off the batteries. Running the generator will let you run the hest pumps. The hydronic heat will run while underway or parked.

If you run the washer or dishwasher then you will need to drain your tanks more often. My present rig has 65 gallon waste tanks, when the late DW and I would Wallydock we could go 7 days or so, but usually we dry camped two days and then a campground.
Both my two DSDP's were about the same.
Right now my induction cooktop isn't hooked to the inverter so I have to be on shore power or run the generator, not sure how Newmar handles that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of your questions will depend, of course, on how your coach is equipped but here are a few thoughts.
When dry camping your batteries will power refridgeration and routine lights and water pump for up to 48 hrs. Your microwave will run but at a decreased power level. TV will be OK. Heat will depend on your heat source. I have an LP gas furnace and two heat pumps on my Tiffin Allegro RED 33. The gas heat and hot water runs fine while dry camping but not heat pump/AC. If you want to run HP/AC you will need to run your generator. With the generator you should be able to run everything in the coach.

As far as waste water is concerned, you should be able to comfortably go 5 - 7 days between dumping your tanks. It will depend on how often you take long showers and run the washing machine. Just keep an eye on your tank guages and you should have no problems. Just keep in mind it's always better to dump tanks a little earlier than wait for them to fill up.

I don't have solar panels but I believe they will extend you battery time from the 48 hours I mentioned earlier.

Good luck on your adventure!
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think the others have answered your questions so I'll just say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The coach(s) you are speaking of are fully self contained. So everything will work when you are not hooked to a power and water pedestal.

You may have to run the generator if you are expecting to use more power than the inverter can produce from the batteries (or AC or heat pumps). Not a big deal - you should run the generator often to exercise it.

Waste water and fresh water. Normally you will fill the black tank before you run out of fresh water. Some places offer free dumping, others for a fee. A gravity toilet will use less water than a macerator type. I cannot recall if the half bath in Newmar are gravity. Bonus if it is.

If you fuel at Flying J many have dump stations and fresh water fill.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You asked some really great questions...

First of all...phenomenal choice. The King Aire is the pinnacle of Newmars line-up. It has the most high end options available for a coach.

Boon docking or stopping at night at a Walmart using a King Aire is pure Luxury.

The systems that Newmar Includes are very flexible...you can go off grid, or enjoy Beautiful private resorts with all the amenities...and everything in Between. The only things that can slow you down are a few places with low clearances, length restrictions, or weight restrictions (usually for smaller bridges).

The coach has a large diesel powered Generator capable of running everything...in the event you do not have a 50 amp shore power connection. Even with the generator turned off...I believe the King Aire can be equipped with 8 AGM batteries...up to 16 AGM batteries. It’s the batteries that give you the most flexibility. I also think he King Air can have two Inverters. When plugged into shore/generator power the Inverters charge the batteries, and pass thru ac power to thier respective busses. When not connected to shore/generator power the batteries supply power to the Inverter which produces clean pure sine wave ac power. Depending on how many batteries and Inverters you have will reflect how many items can be powered when off grid. My Ventana has 8 batteries, and one MS2812 Inverter. The Inverter can run my Microwave/Convection Oven, Residential Refrigerator, Entertainment System, TV’s, Sattelite Dish and Recievers, Wall outlets...and the batteries can directly power the Oasis while on Diesel burner for heat, house lighting, fantastic fans, fresh water supply pump, Macerator toilets, etc... The only things my coach really needs generator or shore power for is to run the Air Conditioner/Heat Pumps, the Washer/Dryer, one or both Electrical elements in the Oasis System, the engine block heater, and the Induction Cooktop. Equipped with more batteries and larger capacity Inverters Your King Aire will run some of those items which my coach cannot.

Adding Solar is helpful when you have a clear view of a sunny sky. However, as you mentioned...if traveling each day...the engine, running your Alternator, will quickly charge the chassis batteries, and then thru the Bi-directional relay also charge the house batteries. If driving each day you will find the amount of time required to recharge from Solar, generator, or shore power will be greatly diminished. Solar still works great on the road though. I see my best performance while driving because the panels are cooled by the relative wind. This increases the output of the panels somewhat.

So YES to heat the RV
YES to the Microwave/Convection Oven
And it depends on the Dishwasher.

For your use...the extra AGM batteries and large Inverter/s...will allow more things to run...and run the essentials longer.

The King Aire has plenty of HorsePower and torque for towing...and a high capacity fuel tank so you’re not having to stop all the time.

As far as holding tanks...most Newmars fall into the same boat...100 gallons Fresh, and I believe 60/40 for grey and black. But I have not studied the specs for the King Aire. They may be larger.

My wife and I have stayed for a week on these tanks...both taking quick showers every morning. Not doing laundry or using a dishwasher...and the grey is what fills up the fastest in our coach. The King Aire May fill the black more quickly as I believe both toilets are Macerator vs gravity flush. You can put the Macerator toilets in a water miser mode...to help on conserving water and tank space.

I would say...if you could swing going to dump and fill fresh water every couple of days you would have no restrictions really. If you go a week...you’ll have to take very quick showers and conserve on flushing. You’ll get a feel for your rig in no time and have a plan in the back of your mind without having to give it a second thought.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Just say'n HI! and welcome from Oregon.

The fresh and holding tank(s) capacities will vary from model to model and from brand to brand.
Our coach (SOB = Some Other Brand) fresh water capacities are 112 gal fresh/115 gal gray & 55 gal black.
(The newer models of our coach manufacture have minimum of 135 gal fresh & 145 gal combined black/gray tank (one tank) of 145 or more.)
Also.. Newell & the Prevost conversions are larger yet..

The larger the tanks, the longer you can go between dumps..all other items being equal.
With a generator you should not have any issues as you are not totally dependent on pedestal/battery or solar for your power source(s).

IMPORTANT!!!

During camping/Wally-Docking.. be aware that you must take into consideration that you sometimes will not be able to extend any slide-outs when parked.(Wally World / rest area's & truckstops just to name a few)
Therefore... MAKE durn sure that all interior components are accessible & usable when ALL slide-outs are retracted!
ie: access to & full usability of...
Galley(stove/sink/fridge)
bathroom & shower
Living room and dinette
bedroom..
ALSO....
It is a lot easier to heat an RV in really cold weather/conditions with the slides retracted (less sq footage = less heat loss)

Happy Trails and good hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You'll like it here.

Just saying Hi as others have given you good info. BTW excellent choice for a new MH.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Thank you all so very much for the help!
This site clearly has an amazing community as you all put in real effort to help a new guy

I am very happy to hear that we will not have to be booking campsite spots everynight during our travels!

You're all amazing for helping thank you
Freeskier101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #10

Geeez Free how are all the RV parks going to make a living if you stay at Walmart all the time. I think you will find that after 2-3 days it will be nice to hook up with a quiet clean RV park. I made the mistake to park at a 24 hr Walmart one time in Vegas. That night I got less sleep than on an airplane!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #11

Freeskier, Set your sights a little higher, these rigs below are made for what you have in mind:

Prevost

Marathon

Foretravel
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskier101 View Post
Thank you all so very much for the help!
This site clearly has an amazing community as you all put in real effort to help a new guy

I am very happy to hear that we will not have to be booking campsite spots everynight during our travels!

You're all amazing for helping thank you
the new guy? yikes , you are buying what i hope to have someday , after owning about 5 lesser models. lucky you! If you're buying new, i'm sure the dealer is gonna walk you through all of your questions and more. i bought mine used, from a private sale, and had never driven anything bigger than a pickup truck. that was a rough 12 hours back home in a severe storm . had to change my pants after
AKITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum! We looked at the King Aires before buying ours. Wow! They are very nice coaches, for sure. Congrats!
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Freeskier, Set your sights a little higher, these rigs below are made for what you have in mind:

Prevost

Marathon

Foretravel
I would certainly add NEWELL to this list...IF we ever have to replace our current coach they would be in the top 3 choices..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a