Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
General Tires?

Time for new tires. Currently have Bridgestones up front and Continentals on the drive. Following the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' plan I thought I'd do it again but the Continentals won't be available at my tire place. They suggest Generals which are made (or owned?) by Continental. A commercial trucking magazine google search turned up puts them right below Continentals in quality.

Any knowledge or insights would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have no personal experience with Generals but would have no qualms about using them. In commercial size tires, often the lesser brand is the same tire from the same factory with a different name embossed on the side.

I've run BF Goodrich (Michelin) and Firestone (Bridgestone) with good results.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I actually wouldn't hesitate putting Generals on my motorhome as I currently have a new set on my toad.

To be honest, I've purchased quite a few General tires through the decades. The very first set was when in college. I had a Mazda 616 that came with bias ply tires. I remember putting General radials and on it and the improvement in handling was phenomenal although I'm sure it wasn't because of the tires being Generals but because they were radials on a RWD vehicle. The transition to radial tires was happening about that time, early 1970s. No matter, those Generals sure felt good!

This may sound corny but one of the jingles that played over and over again back in the 1970s was "sooner or later you'll own General's" and it's stuck in my mind through the years and for some reason makes me beam whenever I recall it. I guess that was good advertising.

I know my comments don't help much but, as you can see, I personally have a certain affinity with Generals! I say if they have the correct size and the price is right, buy them.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, the appearance and tread look like what I have now and the price is definitely right - and they should be getting new stock in with some manufacture dates I can live with before I need to move on.

Just wonder tho - I'm currently running 275/80Rs on the rear and the Bridgestones on the front are 295/75Rs. If I had to - any problems going with Bridgestones of that size all the way around? The very knowledgeable manager I talked to when I got this configuration had real good reasons for his recommendation but I forget now what they were.

Whats standard tire size for a 40ft no tag diesel pusher anyway?
Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

We have a big General Tire plant close to our home town that makes truck tires. It is now called Continental Tire. Not sure about what they offer, I run Michelin. As far as standard size tires for an RV there isn't one. You will have to look at what came on yours and go from there. You have to check out if a tire will fit if you change sizes from original. Going bigger on rear duals you might run into the tires too close together and rubbing or trapping rocks between the tires and causing sidewall problems or being too tall and rubbing. And weight ratings. There are a lot of threads on this here on the forum.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

If your question is if you can run 295/75-R22.5 on all positions, I've read on various forums, both sides of the argument. The tire manufacturers say that the two sizes are "equivalent" and I've read reports of some RVers mixing them even on the duals. I don't think I'd personally mix the sizes on the duals but I'll let the tire experts here chip in for a more credible response.

As for the spacing between the duals being affected by going from 275/80-R22.5 to 295/75-R22.5 on the rear, again, I'll leave it to the experts. I'm thinking it won't make a difference even though the two sizes are ever so slightly different even though minutely. Again, tire manufacturers seem to indicate that they are "equivalent." I've attached the actual measurements from one of the online size comparison calculators. As you can see by the red outline in the diagram, it doesn't seem like the dual spacing would be greatly affected. I don't know for sure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275 80 R22.5 vs 295 75 R22.5 Tire Comparison   Tire Size Calculator.png
Views:	58
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	148558  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #7

There was a recent thread about tires..... I think it was on this board. Someone was asking about Toyo tires for Class A coaches and most were very happy with them. The price was great as well compared to some other brands.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I've been running and maintaining my own semi for 7 years now. I was a fan of Generals for most of them. But I always had issues with the General steer tires wearing with bad cupping. Spent a lot of time chasing steering and suspension issues to no avail.
I recently join the Goodyear Smartfleet Program to save some money. Have had 2 sets of Goodyears on the front now and NO cupping at all on the steer tires.
Not saying Generals are bad. Loved that they were 16 ply over 14 ply. But I won't use them anymore. But that's mainly because I save about 80 bucks a tire with the Goodyear Smartfleet Program.
I'd say if they save you money give them a try and see if you get your moneys worth out of them.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whats standard tire size for a 40ft no tag diesel pusher anyway?
There is "standard". Tires are sized for load carrying capacity (whatever is needed for the GVWR and axle GAWRs) and the size of the wheel wells. Some typical sizes for a 40 ft DP with 22.5: wheels would be 275/80, 295/80, 295/75, 315/80, 11R22.5, and 12R22.5.

The lower the coach GVWR, the smaller the tire size is likely to be.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #10

I just put the newest general HS series steer tires on mine in September and only put about 2200 miles on e'm but i like them and there USA made and 6 of the 22.5 tires cost was $2800 and next lowest was 3300 and michy's out of ball park. i had the michy's on but were 10 yrs old. on my london aire i had sumo's on [and cant spell the two so shortened as to late for me]. i would not hesitate with them as the new HS series is very nice in my opinion.. http://generaltire.com/tires/commercial/general-hs

Tags
tires