Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Generator

We have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 36z. Does anyone know where the switch gear for the generator is located? The generator will run but it has no load. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the switch but I don't know where to locate it on this particular RV. I thank you now for any assistance you may be able to give.
Discal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discal View Post
We have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 36z. Does anyone know where the switch gear for the generator is located? The generator will run but it has no load. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the switch but I don't know where to locate it on this particular RV. I thank you now for any assistance you may be able to give.
If its an Onan, have you checked to see if the circuit breaker right on the generator has tripped or is in the off position, the generator will still run but won't deliver power to the transfer switch if the on-generator breaker is tripped or got flipped to off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the older rigs didn't have a transfer switch, you had to physically change the incoming wire around to a plugin that was wired to the generator.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There may not be a automatic transfer switch that selects between generator and shore power on that vintage coach. Instead the shore power cord simply plugs into a Jack from the generator.

If there is a transfer switch, follow the shore power cord to find it.

As commented above, there may be circuit breaker(s) on the generator itself that gate power out to the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What Generator do you have? ( Make and Model)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #6

It is a 5500 Onan, the breakers are good, and it does have a transfer switch. It will switch off of shore power automatically when the generator is started. The voltage regulator was replaced six months ago so at the moment, I will assume that it is working. I just need to locate the switch. As we're have only owned this RV for six months, we are still going through the joys of locating hidden components.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Is "the switch" you are looking for the auto transfer switch? If so, follow the shore cord until you reach it. It's either in the compartment where the shore cord comes in, or immediately behind the load center (breaker panel). The other "switch" is the breaker that is on the genset itself, the circuit breaker that somebody else already mentioned.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that the problem that everyone is haveing trouble with is we don't understand what switch your are looking for. The original post said you had no load. The generator is providing power, the load is the appliance you are providing power to. You say the breakers on the generator or good. Where are you checking for voltage to make that determination. You do say that the Transfer switch is switching from shore to generator. If so are you checking to see if you have voltage to your Converter. If you do you should be checking the breakers at the converter. The converter should be located floor level most likely near the refrigerator.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Eds

If your generator is making power but it is not getting to the inside of the coach it may be the relay/contractor located behind your breakers/12V fuses. Open the panel and unscrew the 12V fuses and the relay should be behind there. Using an insulated screwdriver operate and see if the coach gets power. Note typically there is a smaller delay relay that operates this one after 15 seconds (to allow generator to get up to speed) and that can also be faulty. Normally in the same area.

I'm assuming you have the Marquis and not the Marquis gold. The Marquis will run even if it is not making any power, if the voltage is low, sub 90v, the relay won't operate
Eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Eds

Get a multimeter, preferably one with the ability to measure HZ, and ensure the generator is making power, a new regulator is no guarantee that's it's making power.
Eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #11

Aha, now we're starting to get somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1503672787381.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	174348  
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

An expected loss in the family has kept me preoccupied this last week, but I am back now with my further tales of woe.
I found the cubby that held the inverter and transfer switch as seen in the above photo (inverter shown only). I could not find anything that looked out of the ordinary so I went over the generator one more time. I started checking fuses and when I went to replace one of them; which is found in an awkward location, I accidently grounded it out. Now I know that it “used” to be a good fuse by the audible pop and light show. So now I need a fuse. The weekend starts and my wife is eager to get things going because she wants to use the RV as a rolling kitchen while family gathers in town to pay their respects. So Saturday afternoon I finally get a chance to grab some fuses; I get back to the house, pop in the new fuse and fire up the generator. Surprise, surprise, surprise.... Everything is up and running inside.
Now I know some will say it was the fuse but I am not buying that, once I blew the fuse the generator would not start until I replaced it. And before I blew the fuse the generator also ran, so the fuse I believe is out. Rkesselus, you are correct that the generator does not supply a load. I rather poorly was trying to state that there was no load applied to the generator, which could have been fuses, breakers, fairies, at this point I don’t know.
Now I don’t mind admitting that I am sometimes a moron, I prove that every time I leave for work. But it really irks me that after all the time and trouble that I went through I still don’t know what happened or why, so that leaves me destined to live it again. Alas, at least my wife had the kitchen she needed for this weekend.
I am more than receptive to any further theories.

Tags
generator